if you could only have one saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
372XP. With the 346xp a close runner up. If I was just doing firewood and dropping smaller stuff the 346 would be just fine. And I either own or run most of the saws mentioned on this thread and these 2 are my first picks. CJ

I may have answered years ago. But new saws have came and gone. We have 10 or so work saws, lot clearing and firewood being 95% of our work with 24 inch or bigger wood being 5% or less but not unheard of. We only have stihl and husqy saws. In use we have Maybe 5 Stihl 661 through 440 and one old 039, and Husqy from 395 down to a 440 xtorq that stays on the ATV. Lol. (Well, a couple top handles too). If I could only have one it would be our 372 xp saws before xtorq.

If the question was "if you could only have one saw and it never break". As in no worries about failures and having to fix it, I may well pick the 550xp. For the weight it does a great job and can handle most of what we do very quickly. I'm just not confident in the long term durability. If all of our saws are on the flat bed and sharp and gassed up and I'm just grabbing one to cut firewood, it's the one I grab.

I tried to buy a new saw, they said on back out for some time & do not know when it will come in.
To call back every week & they would let me know when the shelves are restocked.

I keep a few firewood saws around both 50cc and 70cc but if it came down to just one saw it would be a 10mm 044 second choice would be a 12mm 044 and a 20" b&c, Never been much of a 60cc person one would think it the perfect compromise being between a 50cc and 70cc, but it just never seemed worth it. IMHO

I tried to buy a new saw, they said on back out for some time & do not know when it will come in.
To call back every week & they would let me know when the shelves are restocked.

I called several places hunting a 460 or 560 stihl or a 545 or 555 Husqy brush cutter for a job. Some quoted over a year. And some said that as of march 2022, their saws that were due in January 2021 still hadn't come. Lol

I did finally find the Husqy 545 and 555. Amazing cutting from a glorified weed eater.

Currently run a Makita ea4300 (dolmar 410) and a 365. My firewood is all arb waste that I cut up. I only run the big saw occasionally and could make do without it, especially if the small saw were slightly larger I'd definitely not need a bigger saw, but would a bigger small saw annoy me and leave me wanting a smaller saw too? I guess I'd love to try a 550xp and that with an be 18" bar would probably be my one. Although I'd possibly stick with the ea4300 and it's 15" bar or a 16". So.... Dig an answer out of that! 🤣

LIke this? 😁😁😁😁😁

I've only owned about a half dozen different saws, but my 362 seems like a pretty darn good all around saw. not too big, not too small. I don't have experience with the previous iterations 036, 360, 361, etc. so I can't compare, but this size class I think would be my vote for an all around one size does most saw.

If I have access to a dealership then my 1 saw plan would be the 500i. It starts easy, runs like a raped ape, and runs anything from a 20" to a 32" bar well in our local hardwoods.

If Im doing my own repairs to keep it running, then its my Tree Monkey 064. It only weighs 1.5 lbs more than than the 500i, with almost 10 horsepower. Itll cut any tree I will ever run across and pulls a 36" full comp 9 pin in hardwood. Wicked fast bucking with a short bar as well.

Latest posts

Back