If you own a swisher splitter..Do you like it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scalo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a Swisher 34 ton splitter with a 12.5 HP B&S with an electric start engine..but before I do I would like to hear from you guys that own one. I am limited to the brands MTD, Troybuilt, white outdoors which are all made by MTD and the swisher looked better built and is not made by MTD. I would like your input on this.
Thanks

swisher splitter

I have a 27 ton w/ a honda motor. It has split everything I throw at it. I like the belt drive, enables you to start the motor w/out turning the pump. This makes starting the motor much easier on a cold day when the hydraulic fluid is cold and thick.
The weak link is the cutting head. On really tough knarly pieces the ram guides dont hold the cutter close to the I beam real well and will develop some play after awhile. I will however say this is a measure purposly installed by swisher so you dont bend the ram cylinder on tough wood. It could be beefed up. On a whole I am very pleased with the product.

Steve.

Happy with the one I have. Reasonable in speed and power for the price.

We have a 22 ton swisher with a 7hp briggs. It does get slop in the head like mentioned before but doesn't seam to affect it. I have only disengaged the belt drive once. It never squeals the belt and never stalls the motor. It will shear the wood before it stops. Crotches and knots slow it down but it will power through it. We always use ours upright as we don't split stuff down very small.

I have the 28 Ton with the 12.5 Brigs Motor. Direct drive w/no belt. I wrap heat tape around it in the winter. Bought if off of their dock in Warrensburg and saved 500 bucks. It has not let me down yet. I still dream of a Timberwolf though...

Side note, get the 4 way adapter. It works great with straight grain wood!

I put a 1500 watt glue on oil pan heater on my processor and it helps.

The 4 way adapter we found to be useless other than with small wood.
I still have it and I've offered for shipping and a few $$ for my time but no one has wanted it.

I use the disconnect t whenever I use it since the recoil is broke and I gave to wrap a rope around the starter "cup". I have electric start I put on it off another Briggs, but I haven't located the right flywheel and new is well over $100! Would be cheaper for me to pull a motor off a yard tractor (free)

Latest posts

Back