If you were to buy a new saw 60 cc and under

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would look for a non-Strato design, since having less complexity and better longevity.
Probably less fuel economy as it's major drawback. Dolmar, Husqvarna ..

Which 1 saw would you use to take on the tree pictured?

Thank you for the input.

Which 1 saw would you use to take on the tree pictured?

Thank you for the input.

I guess you cannot get hold of a new Husqvarna 346XP anymore, so why not the Dolmar PS-6100 this time. But for your needs, I would say even an old Jonsered CS2145 would do, also a responsive non-Strato saw.

But should you have trouble finding a non-Strato saw, get a nimble and agile one, like the 550XP. There you go!

Price- and powerwise there is nothing wrong at all with the echo or dolmar offerings.

Personally I see nothing in that tree that a dolmar 421, husqvarna 543 or stihl 241 could not easily tackle. The trunk might need a few moments longer but the limbing part will be much faster!

What I use is old fashioned a Oleo Mac / Efco 962/162 on larger stuff. Absolutely sufficient and powerwise on par with any 60cc saw out there.

Price- and powerwise there is nothing wrong at all with the echo or dolmar offerings.

Personally I see nothing in that tree that a dolmar 421, husqvarna 543 or stihl 241 could not easily tackle. The trunk might need a few moments longer but the limbing part will be much faster!

What I use is old fashioned a Oleo Mac / Efco 962/162 on larger stuff. Absolutely sufficient and powerwise on par with any 60cc saw out there.

Is it common practice to use smaller saw's where you are from? Nothing wrong with that just curious.

Ideally I am looking for a light saw to run 18" Strong. Am I wrong for looking a 50-60cc range?

Thank you.

What exactly is too peaky for a notch and back cut? When I fell the throttle stays clamped pretty much the whole time, I adjust the cutting rate with bar control not the throttle.

Just looking at the tree and thinkin of all the saw setups I have! My 241c with 18" bar would take care of that and my back would appreciate it more when finished also. The Stihl 261c, 362c, or Husk 550,545,562 with an 18 or 20" bar will fill that little gap. If u want an old school 60cc go ahead and grab one of these20141208_175632.jpg

Just looking at the tree and thinkin of all the saw setups I have! My 241c with 18" bar would take care of that and my back would appreciate it more when finished also. The Stihl 261c, 362c, or Husk 550,545,562 with an 18 or 20" bar will fill that little gap. If u want an old school 60cc go ahead and grab one of theseView attachment 388113

I have a gap in my work saw plan. I have 40cc,82cc,and 100cc all old heavy and low rpm.

I am looking for something Brand new and will get it ported to fill the gap between 40cc and 80cc.

All I have is old school just ready for something new and shiny.

Stihl MS 261 C-M 16" E with RM chain.

I have a dozen work saws, I really only head out to the woods with a 261 or 362. Furthermore, I always firewood with RM chain, RS is just too touchy.

The best firewood saw under 60cc is a Mastermind 261c with 3/8 RM

It just is

Out of all the saws Ive had and seeing what u have, there is no doubt Id choose a Masterminded 441c with a 20" bar or a Masterminded 372xp. I love mtronics though. Id opt for the 70cc as you already have a small saw for limbing. The 441c is super smooth and fells and bucks quick. I dont think u would regret a 441c

For the tree pictured, I would use my 562xp.
On a side note, I am going to look at a Jonsered 2171 tomorrow. Supposed to be in very good condition and seller wants $400. I am thinking $350.

Would like to here your saw of choice in the 60cc flavor.

This class of saw is a can of worms for me. Really bad luck. Two bad New Stihl 362c and wasn't going to try the proverbial "3rd time is a charm."
Two 562s, one demo, of course a demo that worked perfectly, and one with the dreaded hesitation issue which was sent out to be ported at the first of October that is waiting on Husqvana to get us an EL48 carb I believe. (very disappointed with their parts service)
And a 361 that always starts and cuts well but is possessed. With never a consistent rhyme or reason it will die after numerous longer cuts...or not. Will shut off if I set it down...or not. If I turn quickly to the left at waist level....stops again. I've tried a new coil, new carb, rebuilt carb, new plug, vent, everything and still pisses me off. Now this will happen once an hour or more, or not once in 6 hours. :dizzy: One of these days I'm going to throw it as far as I can!
That said in order of a blast to run when all things are right: 1)562xp. 2)361(only one running "most of the time"). 3)362c. One note, my ported 440 wearing a 20" feels in the hands weight wise like the 362c.
The 361 and 562 under that 13# weight feel so much more nimble and quick. Running these I rarely choose a smaller saw for de-limbing when on a roll. Yep, 562xp with the right carb is fantastic.

I disagree. Have you ever fell a tree with a R handle Stihl? There's nothing else quite like it.
Yeah a Weber wrap handle is even better. In stihl my pick would be 044/440. Dolmar 6100 or a 555 husky would be the other 60cc saw I'd use.

Ill get bashed for sayin this but on that size wood I like my Masterminded 362c with a Sugihara 24" bar. I dont use it in anything that would require the bar buried but I do like it for limbing that tree out and not having to bend over as much and it would fell and buck the heck out of that tree

Out of all the saws Ive had and seeing what u have, there is no doubt Id choose a Masterminded 441c with a 20" bar or a Masterminded 372xp. I love mtronics though. Id opt for the 70cc as you already have a small saw for limbing. The 441c is super smooth and fells and bucks quick. I dont think u would regret a 441c

I see where you are coming from, but the majority of the wood I cut is chest height or higher. I think a 70 cc saw would be too close to my favorite sxl925. Granted it is a lil over 15lb pho, and my small saw is really fussy, I love my old saws but I believe it is time to get a saw younger than me.

This class of saw is a can of worms for me. Really bad luck. Two bad New Stihl 362c and wasn't going to try the proverbial "3rd time is a charm."
Two 562s, one demo, of course a demo that worked perfectly, and one with the dreaded hesitation issue which was sent out to be ported at the first of October that is waiting on Husqvana to get us an EL48 carb I believe. (very disappointed with their parts service)
And a 361 that always starts and cuts well but is possessed. With never a consistent rhyme or reason it will die after numerous longer cuts...or not. Will shut off if I set it down...or not. If I turn quickly to the left at waist level....stops again. I've tried a new coil, new carb, rebuilt carb, new plug, vent, everything and still pisses me off. Now this will happen once an hour or more, or not once in 6 hours. :dizzy: One of these days I'm going to throw it as far as I can!
That said in order of a blast to run when all things are right: 1)562xp. 2)361(only one running "most of the time"). 3)362c. One note, my ported 440 wearing a 20" feels in the hands weight wise like the 362c.
The 361 and 562 under that 13# weight feel so much more nimble and quick. Running these I rarely choose a smaller saw for de-limbing when on a roll. Yep, 562xp with the right carb is fantastic.

That is some bad luck. Maybe new saw's aren't as reliable as my old ones. lol

A Masterminded 261 would make an azz out of that tree and not break the back. I jad an 026 and a 261 and they r awesome but just not for me. Thats why I sold them and got a 362c and ported it. Hadnt regreted it yet. A 241c, 362c Masterminded, and a Masterminded 461r fills all gaps in my need. Id like a big bore saw but really have no need for one as most of the wood I see is 30" and below. If u will be picking it up chest high alot 261, 545, 550

Ill get bashed for sayin this but on that size wood I like my Masterminded 362c with a Sugihara 24" bar. I dont use it in anything that would require the bar buried but I do like it for limbing that tree out and not having to bend over as much and it would fell and buck the heck out of that tree

No bashing From me. That saw is on the list, just with a little less bar.

Pretty much all that can be said on the topic.

The ms362 is awesome!!!! Just a little overweight and slow.

That helps a whole bunch and not at all.:happybanana:

Latest posts

Back