I'll be banned soon....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank God for Stihl Dealers

We are, of course deeply indebted to many of the Stihl dealers. Stihl itself makes some of the finest outdoor power equipment in the world. Fortunately for us, they distribute to a wide variety of dealers, many not so desirable. Many of the end users enjoy their products only to be mistreated by their servicing dealer. This of course opens the door for mail order/internet activities. We find this to be especially true in the eastern U.S. now, where the bulk of our "Stihl" product line goes now.

LOL, no kidding, what do these guys want a date with the Stihl dealer. Funny how when I walk in to purchase a product I don't seem to get these rude dealers, LOL. I have had Stihl dealers take parts off of new saws sitting on the shelves in order to get me back in business.

Quit whining like a little girl, when I'm in the woods the quality of the product I'm using is what counts, and if using or selling quality Stihl parts and products somehow illicits a sense of arrogance from the dealers then I say keep on building quality saws.

My opinion,

Sam

Done whining.....I bought a Shindaiwa!:cheers:

I got to agree on the rotten apple dealers are more than likely with all brands.

I bought my first chain saw a husky in 1977. The dealer also sold sthils which I wanted a 041.
I have been so happy with the husky 162SE he talked me into buying. I got great service for the fellow for colse to 20 years even to the point he was selling me bulk barrels of chain oil at his cost.
I moved down state 3 hours away. I wanted a second saw so went to the nearest husky dealer who just plain made me walk out he was so much a jerk who used ever cuss word I knew when talking to me.
Went to the next closest dealer and bought the saw a husky 55, turned out it isn't really the saw I wanted it was a EPA model had the 325ga chain too. They closed there doors a year latter.
Now the closest dealer can't even get the right parts for the saw even with the serial number.
I buy another husky and I will be driving 3 hours to get it.

Wees work hard fors our monies just like those fellows they keep in the back room. If we are treated like so much dirt then they shouldn't get our hard earned monies.

:D Al

when you went to buy a STIHL weed wacker, and the guy tried to sell you a KAWI , he was doing you a big favor !!!! AND YOU GET ALL HUFFY ON HIM !!! shame on you !!! LOL

i try to buy whats best !!!! my neighbor is a STIHL dealer.... there is a reason he is a SHINDAWA dealer also.... it's a shame he isn't a RED-MAXX dealer !!!

boss bought a STIHL BR 550 blower,,, what a piece of junk..compared to a RED-MAXX... so are the pole pruners and weed wackers, compared to other makes... STIHL makes good chain saws,, they ought to stay with that...JMHO

My local Stihl dealer is also a Shindaiwa dealer. They don't sell many Shindaiwa chainsaws,(because they don't push them) but they sell a lot of trimmers and blowers.

My local Stihl dealer is also a Shindaiwa dealer. They don't sell many Shindaiwa chainsaws,(because they don't push them) but they sell a lot of trimmers and blowers.

the guy next door , MIKE PEACOS of CAMPS HARDWARE , rt 206 belle mead, nj . is a john deere , honda, stihl, shindawa, bobcat mowers, toro , and a few other lines.. sells every thing from back hoes to nuts+bolts...

he was also a jonhsered dealer til a few years back... i don't know if stihl made him drop them, or if they just were not selling... john deere also has a chain saw line, he doesn't bother stocking them...

he carries one of everything sthihl makes...but if you walk in to get a string trimmer, your walking out with a shindawa, unless you really have your heart set on a stihl trimmer... all the pro lawn guys use them...

shame he isn't a red-maxx dealer,,,

this works for me,,,

saws: stihl
pole pruners , string trimmers : shindawa
blowers: red-maxx

buy whats best !!! i'm not sold on brand names as far, as their whole product line !!! JMHO

Just two cents

The 488's have been a very good investment and run well for me.

The 757 hasn't been run as much, but it does the job well on the bigger stuff.

What kind of money are they going for these days?

the guy next door , MIKE PEACOS of CAMPS HARDWARE , rt 206 belle mead, nj . is a john deere , honda, stihl, shindawa, bobcat mowers, toro , and a few other lines.. sells every thing from back hoes to nuts+bolts...

he was also a jonhsered dealer til a few years back... i don't know if stihl made him drop them, or if they just were not selling... john deere also has a chain saw line, he doesn't bother stocking them...

he carries one of everything sthihl makes...but if you walk in to get a string trimmer, your walking out with a shindawa, unless you really have your heart set on a stihl trimmer... all the pro lawn guys use them...

this works for me,,,

buy whats best !!! i'm not sold on brand names as far, as their whole product line !!! JMHO

JS,

I suspect that you're dead on. Just the same, I'd be diggin' a foxhole.

Joat

We are, of course deeply indebted to many of the Stihl dealers. Stihl itself makes some of the finest outdoor power equipment in the world. Fortunately for us, they distribute to a wide variety of dealers, many not so desirable. Many of the end users enjoy their products only to be mistreated by their servicing dealer. This of course opens the door for mail order/internet activities. We find this to be especially true in the eastern U.S. now, where the bulk of our "Stihl" product line goes now.

Nik, you stepped up a while back for me & I still order most of my stuff from you because of it; goes to show, there are good dealers too. BTW the dealer I described in my earlier post just sold me my 2nd BR600 today!! For the good ones out there, keep up the good work, it doesn't go without notice.

I know it's been a few months but I finally got a chance to run the 757. A buddy tells me he has a tree down in the pasture that he wants for fire wood. I told him that I would come over a help cause I had a new saw (695) that I wanted to try out. I almost left the 757 at home....boy would that have been a mistake! I get there and ride out to see what we have. It turns out that it is a big white oak that he already limbed. All that was left was about 30' of trunk that was 34" on the big end! I was very happy that the 757 was along for the ride. What a saw!! I can't wait to get a little more time on it, she seems to just keep running better with every tank of fuel!!! My buddy was happy to see that saw, he said that would have takin him all day to do with his 455 Husky!! It was a good day!!!

Good thing you brought that 757, a big oak will let you know quickly if you didn't bring enough saw. What length bar you run on it?

I put both of them (260 & 440) on ebay last night. I'm only selling them because of my local dealers lack of service and personallity. Both have a buy it now with free shipping. Sorry, Mike.

Welp lets hear what happened. What happened that drove you over the edge to sell those saws???

Sell the Stihls

Your not the only one. I had stihl until 10 yrs ago and thought they were the
best. I then switched to husky the dolmar just because. I just bought
a new sthil again because the local dealer talked me into it, 260 pro.
I still think they are good saws but not better than my husky and dolmar.

Saw dealers The good, the bad, the ugly!

Saw dealers The good, the bad, the ugly!

Many of you might of seen my post awhile back about the price of carb kits. The dealer looked up the parts for me and had them sitting on the counter. Then I asked "how much are they?" $18.95 each. When I told him that I had to pass because I was expecting them to cost around 8.00 each. After that he really didn't give me the time of day. I don't plan on being out of work forever and I'm sure I'll probably be looking at buying a saw withing a year or two. It probably will not be at his shop.

It's kinda like the guy that works construction and walks into an auto dealer ready to buy a new truck but wearing his grubby work cloths. All of the sales people ignore him because of how he's dressed. So he walks across the street and buys his second choice brand of truck.

Dan :chainsaw:

Last edited:
Your not the only one. I had stihl until 10 yrs ago and thought they were the
best. I then switched to husky the dolmar just because. I just bought
a new sthil again because the local dealer talked me into it, 260 pro.
I still think they are good saws but not better than my husky and dolmar.

:agree2:
Look, I think Stihl makes excellent products, but SOME, not all dealers think that their the only show in town. That kind of stuff just doesn't set well with me. So, i went down the road and found another good product with a much better dealer. I'm happy now and the new dealer in happy for my business too. I know alot of you on here are dealers too, and maybe if I lived closer to one of you I'd stihl be running a Stihl. Not all dealers are created the same.
Just my .02,
Mike

:agree2: Stihls are a little overated in my opinion. Every want to be woodcutter buys one and tells their buddy how good they are and it turns into a vicous circle.

:agree2:
Look, I think Stihl makes excellent products, but SOME, not all dealers think that their the only show in town. That kind of stuff just doesn't set well with me. So, i went down the road and found another good product with a much better dealer. I'm happy now and the new dealer in happy for my business too. I know alot of you on here are dealers too, and maybe if I lived closer to one of you I'd stihl be running a Stihl. Not all dealers are created the same.
Just my .02,
Mike

Your right 100%. Are ya gonna tell me what that Stihl dealer did that made you sell those saws and go elsewhere??

this works for me,,,

Shinny string trimmer T20 is sturdy but carb sucks, and fuel lines etc rot quickly. Echo trimmer MUCH better and more trouble-free. 15 yrs of beating runs great with almost zero maintenance.
Of course there is only one brand of chainsaw, the old Über Alles!

Quit whining like a little girl, when I'm in the woods the quality of the product I'm using is what counts, and if using or selling quality Stihl parts and products somehow illicits a sense of arrogance from the dealers then I say keep on building quality saws.

My opinion,

Sam

Sam, no doubt Stihl makes quality products, but a saw is and remains a tool that needs service ; so the the tool is only good 'in total' if you get a decent service with it. That's part of the reason why you pay a premium price for the product anyway. And competition makes good saws too, everyone (including stihl) realises that.

An arrogant or lousy dealer can kill any product, regardless of its quality, Only a matter of time. But for every lousy dealer, there are luckily a few good ones :clap:

That's why I fully understand and support the decision of 'shinnyman' in this case ;)

Back