I'll be banned soon....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sam, no doubt Stihl makes quality products, but a saw is and remains a tool that needs service ; so the the tool is only good 'in total' if you get a decent service with it. That's part of the reason why you pay a premium price for the product anyway. And competition makes good saws too, everyone (including stihl) realises that.

An arrogant or lousy dealer can kill any product, regardless of its quality, Only a matter of time. But for every lousy dealer, there are luckily a few good ones :clap:

That's why I fully understand and support the decision of 'shinnyman' in this case ;)

+1

I have become a fan of Efco, great saws, decent price.

Ford-Chevy-Dodge?
I have heard good things about Shinny's for a while.
(I have never had the pleasure of using one)
Mac's/Homelites were the brands when i was a kid.
Stihl/Husky now!
Stihl Dealers seem (uppity),A good product but over priced!
I run Husky XP's few Stihl's.
At least it's not the new Mac (WEEFOOYOU). (Chinese made).
I have a Subaru on a splitter(9hp) Awesome!(the orientals have come along way)
Too bad the US government has taken away our ability to make THE BEST products!
(chainsaws,steel,(soon) trucks! )
I wish you the BEST of LUCK and hope the will last a LIFETIME!

Any saw that will drop that tree is a good saw.
(Some are better than UTTERS)

dealer schmealer

Any saw brand that doesn't make you kiss the dealers A$$ for parts and literature is good. Steele assumes the end user is an idiot I suppose. But I've talked to multiple idiots at both of our local Steele dealers. Also when I'm looking for parts to fix my older 011, (which by the way is an excellent little saw) don't lie to me and tell me it's not worth fixing and try to sell me a new plastic POC steele saw.

You are on the internet, skip the middle man, mail order your stuff and learn to maintain it youself, much more rewarding anyway.:cheers:

Sam, no doubt Stihl makes quality products, but a saw is and remains a tool that needs service ; so the the tool is only good 'in total' if you get a decent service with it. That's part of the reason why you pay a premium price for the product anyway. And competition makes good saws too, everyone (including stihl) realises that.

An arrogant or lousy dealer can kill any product, regardless of its quality, Only a matter of time. But for every lousy dealer, there are luckily a few good ones :clap:

That's why I fully understand and support the decision of 'shinnyman' in this case ;)

Well I'm glad you understand Belgian. I've been watching this thread and I've asked twice what drove the man to sell those two saws and go Shiny. I've yet to see what the reason is or be told exactly what the dealer did to the man. Lack of service and lack of personality is the only thing I caught. Both are general statements lacking what this dealer actually did. :monkey: :monkey:

Well I'm glad you understand Belgian. I've been watching this thread and I've asked twice what drove the man to sell those two saws and go Shiny. I've yet to see what the reason is or be told exactly what the dealer did to the man. Lack of service and lack of personality is the only thing I caught. Both are general statements lacking what this dealer actually did. :monkey: :monkey:

The last thing I went there to purchase was a replacement carb for an 026. He said that he had it and it cost close to $90.00. I knew that I could buy it for less than $50.00 from a local Walbro distributor. He said that he couldn't lower the price any more. I ended up getting it from the distributor for close to $40.00. It was a WT-426, so tell me what it SHOULD sell for.

blah

Who cares about what the dealer did specifically. Free yourself of that weight learn to DIY. Remember these things are only chainsaws with simple 2 stroke motors not nasa rockets. Any one can repair and maintain them. (except the idiots at my two local steele dealers):greenchainsaw:

The last thing I went there to purchase was a replacement carb for an 026. He said that he had it and it cost close to $90.00. I knew that I could buy it for less than $50.00 from a local Walbro distributor. He said that he couldn't lower the price any more. I ended up getting it from the distributor for close to $40.00. It was a WT-426, so tell me what it SHOULD sell for.

1121-120-0611 WT426 Carb

List is 69.95 or closer to 70.00.

Now did he actually look up the price for ya or did he just go off the top of his head?

If you bought it for around 40.00 you paid about what the dealer paid for it. He couldn't sell you one for around 40.00 and make any money on it. If he looked up the price and it was 90.00 yes he was trying to screw you. If he was going off the top of his head without actually looking he's about right. Alot of carbs cost around 90.00. Thats why I asked if he looked up the actual price or gave you a general idea..

I'm getting a better idea why you walked out of that dealer, you felt he was cheating you but I can assure you he wasn't cheating you as bad as you may think. Those WT426's cost him more than 40.00.

1121-120-0611 WT426 Carb

List is 69.95 or closer to 70.00.

Now did he actually look up the price for ya or did he just go off the top of his head?

If you bought it for around 40.00 you paid about what the dealer paid for it. He couldn't sell you one for around 40.00 and make any money on it. If he looked up the price and it was 90.00 yes he was trying to screw you. If he was going off the top of his head without actually looking he's about right. Alot of carbs cost around 90.00. Thats why I asked if he looked up the actual price or gave you a general idea..

I'm getting a better idea why you walked out of that dealer, you felt he was cheating you but I can assure you he wasn't cheating you as bad as you may think. Those WT426's cost him more than 40.00.

No, he looked it up in his computer. I knew that he was high on some other things, but I had already priced the carb out through the distributor. The Stihl dealer was closer to home and I figured that he would be a little higher but that was ridiculous!!!

No, he looked it up in his computer. I knew that he was high on some other things, but I had already priced the carb out through the distributor. The Stihl dealer was closer to home and I figured that he would be a little higher but that was ridiculous!!!

Well I agree he was upping his prices. You gave him what he deserved, a see ya and I don't blame ya. We had one not far from here that was doing the samething. I was getting alot of his customers and complaints about him. In 2short years he was history. He wound up going bankrupt. I wound up getting all those he had cheated.

To be fair though you will find that non-sense with all brand dealers, not just Stihl. Stihl catches more heat for it because they have twice as many dealers than other makers so they are going to have more shady charactors outthere. Flip side is they also got more good ones as well.

Far as your Shiny's go they're nice saws. The 488 is real nice. Had one here as a yard saw, did the job. Finally died but no complaints...

Well I agree he was upping his prices. You gave him what he deserved, a see ya and I don't blame ya. We had one not far from here that was doing the samething. I was getting alot of his customers and complaints about him. In 2short years he was history. He wound up going bankrupt. I wound up getting all those he had cheated.

To be fair though you will find that non-sense with all brand dealers, not just Stihl. Stihl catches more heat for it because they have twice as many dealers than other makers so they are going to have more shady charactors outthere. Flip side is they also got more good ones as well.

Far as your Shiny's go they're nice saws. The 488 is real nice. Had one here as a yard saw, did the job. Finally died but no complaints...

Thank you for your comments,
Mike
:cheers:

Longtime shinny runner

The quality you will find is excellent, parts for years on end you will not find.I ran the 550,,,,,,,,,,till the parts ran out.Ran the 680.........till the parts ran out.....Ran the 695 till the parts ran out.The 488 still lives,,parts still available.It is the largest saw sold in Japan and that because the timber there is not so big.Yes, timber...I now run a Stihl 044 which you will find is very similar to the 757 Shinny.Parts are still very much available for the 757.
Shindaiwa has a lifetime replacement on all currently sold ignitions.We've seen some magnesium cases with leaks in the castings, very few.Otherwise they are very high quality units.If you plan on running it forever, buy a piston kit, and other perishables because unlike a Stihl,parts won't be available for a saw that is not #1 worldwide.
I was informed last year that Echo and Shindaiwa are joining/merging,or have a joint business venture as some have commented on here already.

Latest posts

Back