Illegal arborists

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anti TC

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need to have some firewood delivered to my home. A couple of co-workers have heard about this, and are anxious to help. The problem is that I know they're not licensed in our home state. Should I go with them or a licensed individual? Should I report them to the authorities?

The license is a technicality, what's important is their insurance, experience, and common sense.

Can they be insured but not licensed?

Can they be insured but not licensed?

yep.

and wtf is this reporting them to the cops all about?????

i wouldn't deliver any wood to ya.

and what does a license or even insurance have anything to do with wood being delivered?????

Last edited:
:buttkick: If you don't want them doing work for you then don't hire them.:buttkick:

Personally if you turned me in......never mind, just DON'T it will make you life worse.

I have to agree with the above posters. If you dont want anyone delivering wood that is not insured and licensed, then dont.
However, why would you want to report them? Most guys who deliver firewood are doing it on the side to make a few extra dollars to feed their families with, and reporting them is just pure meaness.
I dont have a license, and if someone was to report me because of it, I can guarantee a lawn job to the :censored: who reported me.
People like that are no better than firewood thieves and should be treated as such.

I don't see the connection between being a licensed arborist and delivering firewood. A coupla guys offer to help you out with firewood and you can't decide whether or not to rat them out to the authorities? I wish I could send them a link to this thread so they'd know who they were trying to help out. You've got nerve, I'll give you that. I'd suggest you go out and gather your own wood and then maybe you'll appreciate what your co-workers are trying to do for you.

Slow down guys! I'm not some kind of monster!! I'm just worried that without the proper licensing and insurance that I could be held liable if anyone was to get hurt as part of this endeavor. I mentioned turning them in as I would think that this would be what the licensed arborists would want because of the unfair competition. Sheesh.....

Turn them in

Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid need to know about this. We can't have people trying to do for themselves.

Too funny. sounds like you have waaaay too much time on your hands. Firewood and arborculture are worlds apart. Never heard of a firewood guy needing to be licensed. Who would you turn these guys into??? The firewood police??? Just goes to show that no good deed goes unpunished...

Not sure about CT but I do know that even in Taxachusetts friends can help friends with firewood without being licensed as I have lived there and did firewood for neighbors and friends for extra money as a teenager.

[
Lonerangertipshat.jpg

How do ma'am, may I be of assistance? I'm from the firewood fuzz association (FFA)

Who gives a rats :censored: about statues? Every state has em, and the biggest reason they have em is so that they can tax the whole thing. Attitudes like this make me sick. Who cares if the guy delivering wood is licensed? NOBODY.
Just how much liability is there in delivering wood to your home? Might back over your dog?Put em in the house when he shows up.
99 percent of firewood guys myself included back into your driveway or whereever you want the wood, dump it on the ground or heave it out of the truck, collect their money, and scram.
I doggone well if that if I was forced to get a license, i would quite delivering wood because it would not be feasible to go through all the work to gather and deliver wood. After Uncle Sam takes his 25 percent of my hard earned money, it leaves very little to compensate me for the hardwork in the freezing rain and snow, the heat of summer, busted up fingers,toes and other parts of your anatomy. Not to mention the expense of saws, trucks, fuel, oil, parts, etc.
Like someone suggested, do yourself a favor, collect this winters wood yourself and you might have a different picture about what it takes to gather a cord of wood.
today I went cutting in 90 degree heat, one eye with no vision, a severly banged up right hand, drove 80 miles round trip to haul home a cord and a half. think I should give uncle same 25 percent of that money that i earn so that they can build a bridge to nowhere?
I think not.

I was reading an earlier post of yours about buying a pellet stove.

Are pellets in short supply?

Yes! It would seem that EVERYBODY's trying to beat high oil prices. Go figure???

Processing and sellling firewood has nothing to do with being an arborist. What kind of license could you possibly need to deliver firewood in CT except a drivers license? Insurance. For what their truck? They are not doing anything on your property except dumping wood.

Last edited:
Who gives a rats :censored: about statues? Every state has em, and the biggest reason they have em is so that they can tax the whole thing. Attitudes like this make me sick. Who cares if the guy delivering wood is licensed? NOBODY.
Just how much liability is there in delivering wood to your home? Might back over your dog?Put em in the house when he shows up.
99 percent of firewood guys myself included back into your driveway or whereever you want the wood, dump it on the ground or heave it out of the truck, collect their money, and scram.
I doggone well if that if I was forced to get a license, i would quite delivering wood because it would not be feasible to go through all the work to gather and deliver wood. After Uncle Sam takes his 25 percent of my hard earned money, it leaves very little to compensate me for the hardwork in the freezing rain and snow, the heat of summer, busted up fingers,toes and other parts of your anatomy. Not to mention the expense of saws, trucks, fuel, oil, parts, etc.
Like someone suggested, do yourself a favor, collect this winters wood yourself and you might have a different picture about what it takes to gather a cord of wood.
today I went cutting in 90 degree heat, one eye with no vision, a severly banged up right hand, drove 80 miles round trip to haul home a cord and a half. think I should give uncle same 25 percent of that money that i earn so that they can build a bridge to nowhere?
I think not.

So if I hire you and you back over my neighbor and kill her, what happens next?

I think not.

Avalancher, you beat me to it. Well said.

TC,

If you are so concerned about firewood guys, get a pellet stove and have them delivered. At least you know they are insured and licensed.
Oh wait.....were the trees the pellets came from harvested by a licensed and insured arborist? You might be liable. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back