Illegal BAR ????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The motor doesn't go backwards but if your boat has v belts and the pump you bought was meant for serpentine belt then the pump will be going backwards.
Actually, there are tournament slalom ski tow boats with V8 motors, made by Ford at the time if I recall, with cranks that rotate in a non-traditional direction. Nautique comes to mind. The intent was to offset some other effect (don't recall what) and produce a better outcome for the skier. They stopped doing this after awhile when the transitioned to using GM blocks.

The motor doesn't go backwards but if your boat has v belts and the pump you bought was meant for serpentine belt then the pump will be going backwards.
Since we're digging up old stuff:

Reverse rotation engines are actually quite common in the marine world. Usually paired with a regular rotation motor in twin engine setups so the props spin in opposite directions to cancel torque lift and prop walk.

Reversing the direction requires a reversed camshaft, different distributor gear (gas engine) or injector pump timing (diesel engine), reversed firing order, different starter motor, sometimes a different crankshaft (depending on oil gallery design) and -- speaking to the OP's point -- possibly reverse water pump. Depending on the design, spinning a water pump backwards will often move some coolant, but produce a low volume at low pressure leading to overheating.

We now return to our regularly scheduled 2 stroke chainsaw discussion...

This kind of makes me smile - reminds me of a time years and years ago - hadn't run that many saws, my late mate - boyfriend at the time - had trimmed trees for a living for a while, told me what I needed for a certain situation. What it was, is lost in the mists of time, but it was *not* safety chain.

I went to the local Stihl dealer, told the lady behind the counter what I wanted - she looked at me funny, and said she didn't know if she could sell it to me (I'm 5' tall, female, and about 30 looked 15 at the time) - she called the boss out of the back, he said "Do you know about this chain?"

I said "It will get you if it can." He said "Sell it to her." :D

I am afraid we live in a world of pansies and idiots dumb downed by "technology"
The manual for my first truck told me how to adjust the valves in the engine, the one for the car the wife n I bought last year tells you not to drink the washer fluid or contents of the radiator.

I was out of state where I store an old tractor of mine at my son in Laws he had been using it and had been putting ethanol gas in it carb was fouled and I wanted a line wrench to pull the fuel lines ran out to the local CarQuest store and asked for one(line wrench/flarenut wrench) the guy (in his late fifties) was like" I have no Idea what your talking about" as in my mind I was thinking and maybe by the look on my face of "what in the hell are you doing here?" he says " I was a post man for twenty years & retired" I can respect that ..sad tho that's the best a parts store could recruit.

I grew up in our family owned heavy construction company environment and before Morbark whole tree chippers and Tub grinders were readily available we cut up all our land clearing work by hand. The hardwood we had a couple firewood mongers who took that and then pine and other softwoods/ trash wood we knocked the whole trees down with Cat D-6's to a brush pile and I had the distinction of cutting that up into 6' lengths and had to have it done by the time the dozer was back and had the next tree there too it was then Loaded out onto Mack DM-800's with a Cat 966C all the cutting was done with either Homelite Super wiz 66 and a 16" bow or a SXL and C72 w/ 14" Bow, we never used a straight bar unless we had to fell big timber. We never had any injuries outside of bee stings or a ear slapped by a pine branch.
Thru High school I worked for my dad in the summers and cut and sold firewood in the winter to pay for my first pick up truck, all with a bow saw, I have always primarily heated my home with wood and I still have the old Homlites but they gave way to Stihl 051 and 044 with bows... if there "illegal" I'm proud to be a outlaw.
sorry for the long cocky rant but I feel better now from having just spent $225 to fill my P/U and John Deere 4120 tractor with fuel Thanks!

I'm not sure whats worse. People ill qualified to do a job telling other people bad information or the person getting the bad information who in their heart knows it to be wrong questioning their own knowledge and experience. More and more often the key to getting what you need is simply giving 0 information about what your doing or need to do but instead directly giving a part number or a direct size/length of a specific material. Things we have forgotten...We are never too old to learn or receive a @ss wooping.

I'm not sure whats worse. People ill qualified to do a job telling other people bad information or the person getting the bad information who in their heart knows it to be wrong questioning their own knowledge and experience. More and more often the key to getting what you need is simply giving 0 information about what your doing or need to do but instead directly giving a part number or a direct size/length of a specific material. Things we have forgotten...We are never too old to learn or receive a @ss wooping.
A lot of parts stores like to tell me they don’t carry parts for my vehicles bc their system only goes back so far so when I order things like wheel bearings I walk up and ask for a Timken set number and walk out with my bearings my 93 ranger I know by heart set 6 for the inner front and set 2 for the outer.

A lot of parts stores like to tell me they don’t carry parts for my vehicles bc their system only goes back so far so when I order things like wheel bearings I walk up and ask for a Timken set number and walk out with my bearings my 93 ranger I know by heart set 6 for the inner front and set 2 for the outer.
Used to be a place near here - I miss it greatly - that would just look at the part I'd brought in (from a bastard son Frankenstein truck that was part Jeep, part Toyota, with some Chevy parts thrown in just for ***** and giggles) - and just say "Just go in back and dig around in that far right shelf over there, 'til you find something that looks right." :D

Used to be a place near here - I miss it greatly - that would just look at the part I'd brought in (from a bastard son Frankenstein truck that was part Jeep, part Toyota, with some Chevy parts thrown in just for ***** and giggles) - and just say "Just go in back and dig around in that far right shelf over there, 'til you find something that looks right." :D
Sounds like my scratch built truck idea.

I bought it that way (though my late mate added even more weirdness). If you drove it off soft ground onto pavement, in 4x4, you had to jack up the front, and the front wheels would go "zip!!" and unlock - front and back axles were way off ratios. But that damn thing would crawl fight up a wall with a load of gravel in the back.

Ugliest damn vehicle I ever owned - and that's saying something - but worth every cent of the three hundred bucks I paid for it... :D

Since we're digging up old stuff:

Reverse rotation engines are actually quite common in the marine world. Usually paired with a regular rotation motor in twin engine setups so the props spin in opposite directions to cancel torque lift and prop walk.

Reversing the direction requires a reversed camshaft, different distributor gear (gas engine) or injector pump timing (diesel engine), reversed firing order, different starter motor, sometimes a different crankshaft (depending on oil gallery design) and -- speaking to the OP's point -- possibly reverse water pump. Depending on the design, spinning a water pump backwards will often move some coolant, but produce a low volume at low pressure leading to overheating.

We now return to our regularly scheduled 2 stroke chainsaw discussion...

opposite rotation engines are a thing for boats, it helps the boat track strait
Friend of mine (81year old gear head) tells of some oval track racer in the 50s' built it to run reverse rotation. Kept winning races for more than a few years and went through several engine tear downs/inspections. Some one finally noticed engine rotation at the start of inspection and got down to nitz and gritts. No fine given as it wasn't banned in the rules book, but the cat was out of the bag. The reverse rotation gave the inside rear (and front) wheel better weight transfer.
A left hand circle mill can run directly off of a tractor PTO but not off of a regular rotation Industrial engine .. some Detroits in the old Busses (Rear engine) were reverse rotation and long story short- Dad had one but the clutch was an issue 'cuz money was scarce, so he said he didn't think putting an oil leaker was an up grade. 113 HP. to 235 HP.

I bought it that way (though my late mate added even more weirdness). If you drove it off soft ground onto pavement, in 4x4, you had to jack up the front, and the front wheels would go "zip!!" and unlock - front and back axles were way off ratios. But that damn thing would crawl right up a wall with a load of gravel in the back.

Ugliest damn vehicle I ever owned - and that's saying something - but worth every cent of the three hundred bucks I paid for it... :D

Sounds like a AMC product. They were a hodge podge of parts from the factory
I own an amc built jeep Comanche pickup. Older amc were a mix match the inline engines are something they made themselves both 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder I love both not high Hp but the torque curve is bang on.

Back