I'm going to the bar.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kydan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok' lets say you know what your doing, you take very good care of your chainsaw , and never throw chains, bind or pinch your bar. .And your cutting about 8 cords a year how long will a good bar last?

8 cords a year? 25+ years or more if it a good bar... (I see 25-30 year old bars all the time..). Grind it now and then..

My bar last long time! Long time! No drippy bar! Last long time!

Good question. It would depend on the type and size I would think. I would guess 10-15 years for 8 cords a year though. They get chipped, and bent. Seems to me that smaller bars do not last as long. Expecially laminated ones. I had an Oregon Intenz bar delaminate on me at the tip after about 5 years of heavy use. Solid bars are better... they bend back into shape and you can replace the nose.

See' I thought there was a rule so many chain's , Time to change the bar ?

this summer on out fuels crew we wore out one bar a month with the 20 inch stihl E bars on out 361's. Sounds bad and it was, they saw a lot of dirt due to a couple inexperienced guys on the crew making fire trail, meeting rocks, finding bullets. But other than that i've got a 20 inch stihl E bar on the 290 at home thats cut about 4 yrs worth of firewood so far and is still doin good, just take car of the rails and keep it outa the dirt.
Andrew

My 028 has the original 20" Stihl bar that came on it in 1984... that saw has seen more wood than a hungry termite...

Gary

Doesn't it depend on the oil Gary? I heard that if you use the right mix and ratio you saw will make your bars last longer. Ask Gary about what mix will make your bar last longer.

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to guess here, but I think that in 34 yr. of cutting, average 5 cords a year [maybe a bit more???], I have probably bought four bars. I am currently using a Stihl ES 20" which I bought three yr. ago, so it's basically brand new, for me. I have and occasionally use one of the other three, an 18" [pretty well worn]. So, bars are a very minor expense in my cutting.

Last edited:
There are old bars and the are bold bars, but there are no old bold bars!

See' I thought there was a rule so many chain's , Time to change the bar ?

Oregon says 'replace your sprocket after 2 chains', and I have heard people say 'replace your bar after 2 sprockets', but I think that they are in the business of selling sprockets and bars.

The earlier comments seem to back this up.

Both the Oregon and Stihl manuals have good information on inspecting bars for wear, and chains for wear that indicate bar problems.

The way you use it also plays a big part. If you flip it regularly, file off burrs, keep the chain sharp and let it do the work, keep it clean and oiled, use different parts of the bar, etc., it will last a lot longer.

Philbert

Last edited:
Doesn't it depend on the oil Gary? I heard that if you use the right mix and ratio you saw will make your bars last longer. Ask Gary about what mix will make your bar last longer.

No need. He uses:

Gary's Own!(TM) oil

It works as premix and bar oil, all in one.
Also works good for making salad dressing.
(he got the secret recipe from Gypo)

Last edited:
Nose sprocket

How about the nose sprocket, how often do you need to replaced it ? or is it just a safety feature to reduce kickback and you really don't need it at all ? By the way my saw is the Husqvarna 55 with the decompression valve I believe 2000-2001 model. I know they just came out with the 55 Rancher without the D...- valve. And I wanted the older model because of good reviews, and why take a chance. And so far the only thing I replaced is a fuel cap, sparkplug, and chains of course. I've never replaced the air filter as I clean it after each use.My friend just bought a new H- 455 with primer bulb, and my saw was the quicker starter every time. He just looked daze at my saw..lol

I replaced a bar earlier this year that still said "Made in West Germany" on it. So it was at least 18 years old and still had paint on it. The boss bent the crap out of it, or else it would have probably gone another 20 years.

Now' I don't think there is a ''Bar'' rule when someone takes care of their equipment....... But I still like to know more about that nose sprocket on the end of that bar.

Latest posts

Back