im going to the "dark side"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We paid $.99 a gallon for LP this fall, so fuel was cheap. I considered letting the woodfurnace go out, but the basement is a damp mess from all the rain we've recieved. The woodfurnace is the best dehumidifier. Only takes a few coals and a few cycles of the blower to help dry things out.

I just started the stove tonight after a few days, maybe 5, of just letting the LP furnace run. Busy and a muddy mess outside I said screw it. Plus skidloader was getting serviced and is so much nicer to get wood with that. LP cheap and 1000 gallon tank was over 65% +. We had some decent sun so it kept house pretty good.

We paid $.99 a gallon for LP this fall, so fuel was cheap.

LP costing $.99 is cheap if you compare it to $3.00. I guess if I had to drop 300 gallon into my LP tank and write a check for $300.00 cheap isn't a term I would use. There sure is a lot of people on this board that have made that same statement and I guess I have a hard time thinking this amount of money as being cheap. It has a ways to go before I would even consider thinking of burning LP. Not judging just my opinion.

its 52 and raining .im gonna let the wood burner die out and let the oil burner take over .if I damp down the wood burner far enough that it wont drive us out of the house its gonna load up the chimney, what the hell . oil is cheap these days .

This is how it starts. Then you'll slowly start making excuses not to scrounge firewood, blaming poor weather conditions on not wanting to split anything. Then you'll realize ethanol gas jammed your saw's carb up since you never run it anymore. Cobwebs will begin to cover your wood burner and you'll be eating a bowl of ice cream as the oil man comes to fill up your tank. You'll start vociferously reading t.v. guide and loudly verbally reacting to Oprah's snarky comments as you religiously watch her program. All the while your manboobs get bigger and bigger.

LP costing $.99 is cheap if you compare it to $3.00. I guess if I had to drop 300 gallon into my LP tank and write a check for $300.00 cheap isn't a term I would use. There sure is a lot of people on this board that have made that same statement and I guess I have a hard time thinking this amount of money as being cheap. It has a ways to go before I would even consider thinking of burning LP. Not judging just my opinion.
Last year when there was a shortage, the company we had was gouging people at $5 to $6 dollars a gallon. We decided to purchase our tank this year, so it was much higher with the cost of the tank. With the dryer and gad stove, burning wood a tank lasts over 3 years. We were also getting hit with a $100 dollar a year non usage fee. Between the difference in the price of gas and the lack of fees, we are ahead. It was either '12 or '13 the last fill, and I talked them down to $2.99 a gallon on that fill. It was something around $800 or so to top the tank then.

This is how it starts. Then you'll slowly start making excuses not to scrounge firewood, blaming poor weather conditions on not wanting to split anything. Then you'll realize ethanol gas jammed your saw's carb up since you never run it anymore. Cobwebs will begin to cover your wood burner and you'll be eating a bowl of ice cream as the oil man comes to fill up your tank. You'll start vociferously reading t.v. guide and loudly verbally reacting to Oprah's snarky comments as you religiously watch her program. All the while your manboobs get bigger and bigger.
ill suck on a gun barrel before it comes to that

Burning in the smogger with no damper I can do just one split or log at a time and just feed it for the heater to throw warm instead of hot. I think it is still burning clean though, I check a lot for visible smoke and the chimney looks good whenever I inspect it..

Back