I'm Still Cutting/Skidding Firewood Logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
As it's been a WARM winter so far, (today was in the 60's!) we are cutting firewood for next winter...

Two weeks ago, we cut a load of firewood and managed to get it all split,

standard.jpg

SO, yesterday we were back at it...

Anyway, I skid as much of my firewood tree's out whole, as I can,

standard.jpg

Then I lift the tree's over my wagon and cut it to firewood lengths, filling the wagon up,

standard.jpg

That way, I can roll the rounds, right off the wagon, right onto my splitters beam. Doing it this way cuts out a LOT of lifting and speeds things up quite a bit too.

I also cut up the tops and load that wood into what ever is handy,

standard.jpg

I split what ever needs splitting, right off that trailer too...

We (my better half loves to go to the woods too) cut all of the above on sat., and we also have several piles of cut up tops, still in the woods to pick up,

standard.jpg

As you can see in the picts., there's lot's more wind damaged tree's to cut down yet too,

standard.jpg

I'll be splitting it all S :) :) N,

BTW, I'm really lovin my 550xp!!

standard.jpg

SR

That's weird a "pro" saw with a primer bulb. Is that common on the newer Husqvarnas?

Been nice weather here too, in the teens-20s most days. Don't have much snow around here, which is kind of nice, having to plow and de-bury everything sure wastes alot of time in a workday.

Lot of times we get home jobber saws that have the primer bulbs and either the bulb or the lines are rotted out just enough to get air in the fuel system. Sometimes takes just parts changing to figure it out too, which I hate doing.

Guess why I view the primers as just extra junk to go bad.

Yup... and it works great.

SR

Lot of times we get home jobber saws that have the primer bulbs and either the bulb or the lines are rotted out just enough to get air in the fuel system. Sometimes takes just parts changing to figure it out too, which I hate doing.

Guess why I view the primers as just extra junk to go bad.
I'm NOT going to judge a new pro saw by what an older home owner saw did, I'm going to see for myself how it holds up.

550's been out a while now, I'm not hearing of primer bulb problems...

SR

Been thinking about popping on one. I have a 40hp tractor and it drags some pretty big stuff, but I would rather not jerk on it too much. This would vastly improve my retrieval process and make it much safer than what I do now

I like that winch to. is that a 12' truck body you have mounted on the running gear? looks like a nice deer stand you got there also.

The running gear is a 10 ton Horst that has an old IH grain body on it, hauling stones, firewood and saw logs has REALLY taken a toll on it, too bad to, as it was pretty nice when I bought it. I use to use it behind my corn picker...

I sawed out and built the deer blind last summer/fall, here's a few better picts of it in this thread,

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/dont-burn-pine-pine-burning-thread.287662/page-4

I shot a nice buck out of it opening day, last month...

Thanks guys,

SR

The running gear is a 10 ton Horst that has an old IH grain body on it, hauling stones, firewood and saw logs has REALLY taken a toll on it, too bad to, as it was pretty nice when I bought it. I use to use it behind my corn picker...

I sawed out and built the deer blind last summer/fall, here's a few better picts of it in this thread,

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/dont-burn-pine-pine-burning-thread.287662/page-4

I shot a nice buck out of it opening day, last month...

Thanks guys,

SR

I also have one like it that has a 5 ton hoist under it that I used to pick corn in, I do miss picking corn. checked out the thread, that is a very nice stand.
you could put a heater in that. I could use a winch like that to pull some laps out where just select cut about 40 acres.

As a Stihl owner I just gotta say........

... That's a nice saw you bought for your wife.

:baaa:
Here's a news flash for you... IF I gave that 550 to my wife, she would LOVE it!

Last sawmill EXPO we went to, she bought herself a new set of protective chaps and loves the whole woods/chainsaw/firewood/sawmill thing...
orig.gif

SR

I do have a Kerosene heater in the blind, but it didn't get much use this year, it's just been so warm...

As for the winch, it's another case of "why didn't I buy it sooner!!", I've skidded out some BIG logs with it,

standard.jpg

I got a LOT of firewood out of that old oak log!

SR

Very nice log, I would like to have that winch on the back of my 1955 T oliver , I think that I could really pull some fire wood with it. have a lot of big lap wood that could be pulled. I don't like to drive my cab tractor in the woods, the left door glass cost me over $600.00 dollars trying to skid laps. got to be very careful in the woods with it.

I like your pictures!

amberg

Latest posts

Back