In need of new log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That does seem high. I have a Honda GX630 running my 28 gpm, 2 stage pump. I think the pressure is set at 2300-2400 psi, around that ball park. With an efficient enough design, you won't need 3k psi. Things start to break when you push that much.

No Use whatever power plant meets your needs. However you may want to make some adjustments to take full advantage of the way the engine delivers its HP. I set up an electric motor so I could split at all hours without bothering anybody and discovered that an electric motor delivers its power differently than my gas motors. The only real problem with that was an electric motor needs a pretty large power cord to deliver more than 10 HP. Thanks

Metaris.com/hydCal/HP.asp
This site says I would need about a 50 h.p. engine to run a 28 gpm at 3,000 psi
Is that right? That seems high but they are using the formula that it seems like everyone else uses.

Dont confuse a 28gpm single stage pump with a 28gpm 2 stage pump. A 28gpm single stage pump will take about 54hp to build 3000psi. A 28gpm two stage pump is only putting out 28gpm in the low pressure mode of the pump. When it starts building high pressure, the flow drops to about 8 or 9gpm and takes much less hp. Also the pump only builds pressure to meet the resistance requirements it encounters. If your cyl is able to split all your wood at less than 3000psi, then your pump will never see 3000psi and your hp requirements will never reach maximum levels.

Also, to answer your question about using diesel engine. Most, if not all the 2 stage splitter pumps give flow rates at 3200-3600 rpms. Now there are a few of the small high rpm diesel engines out there, the Brigg's Vanguard diesel engines are one example. That are rated for 3000+rpms. Sadly most of the small diesels are not rated for those rpms. Doesnt mean you cant hook one up to a 2 stage pump, just that because of the lower rpms of the engines, your 2 stage pump isnt going to produce the advertised flow rates

Dont confuse a 28gpm single stage pump with a 28gpm 2 stage pump. A 28gpm single stage pump will take about 54hp to build 3000psi. A 28gpm two stage pump is only putting out 28gpm in the low pressure mode of the pump. When it starts building high pressure, the flow drops to about 8 or 9gpm and takes much less hp. Also the pump only builds pressure to meet the resistance requirements it encounters. If your cyl is able to split all your wood at less than 3000psi, then your pump will never see 3000psi and your hp requirements will never reach maximum levels.

Also, to answer your question about using diesel engine. Most, if not all the 2 stage splitter pumps give flow rates at 3200-3600 rpms. Now there are a few of the small high rpm diesel engines out there, the Brigg's Vanguard diesel engines are one example. That are rated for 3000+rpms. Sadly most of the small diesels are not rated for those rpms. Doesnt mean you cant hook one up to a 2 stage pump, just that because of the lower rpms of the engines, your 2 stage pump isnt going to produce the advertised flow rates
Ok thanks for that. I did forget that.

I found a 28 hp kubota diesel out of zd28 zero turn on cl. The guy wants $1,300. I haven't gone to look at it. He says it runs good. I'm not exactly sure if that is a good price. It is a little far from me. About an hour and half. Anyone know if thats a good price?

You will have to do your own price checking for used. I found a new 29hp kubota for $3924, https://www.dieselenginemotor.com/diesel/engine/Kubota D1403E G971 Diesel Engine/246 if that give you any clue. I also see its only rated for 2800rpm where as the others are rated for 3600rpm's. I would also make durn sure the engine hasnt been ran hot before I buy. Thse engines tend to loose a ton of compression once ran hot. They will still run, but become very hard to start, especially in cold weather.

edited to add. If you are wanting a 6in bore cyl, and 28gpm of flow, I would forget about using a single stage pump and large hp engine. It takes about 16-18hp to efficiently power a 28gpm 2 stage pump. The 2 stage pump will produce 900psi in the high flow mode which will give you about 12tons of splitting force with your 6in bore cyl. And about 42tons of splitting force in the lowflow high pressure mode at 3000psi. I would venture to guess that your splitter will spend very little time in the low flow high pressure mode. Therefore you would have the speed available of a 28gpm pump and the power of a high pressure pump only when you actually needed it. It will also take a lot less engine to power the pump, which will save you money on engine purchase as well as money in operating cost. I have a 25hp gas engine on my splitter using a 28gpm two stage pump and 5in bore cyl. I use a 6way wedge and it pretty much splits or smashes anythin I put in it. I seldom run at full throttle and can split about 5 full cord on 3-4 gals of gas.

a kubota diesel for 1300 clams? I would seriously consider that!
Figure that the diesel isn't going to want to put up the 3600 rpm, much happier around 2600, reduces the output of 28gpm pump to 20 gpm. Still quite workable. size the cylinder right, and it will fly pretty good. and cheap!

Mine runs at the governor, which is around 2900 rpm. Just spec the pump for the flow you want at whatever engine RPM. Like my setup is about 30 gpm at 2800rpm.

Buying a single stage pump for a 29hp diesel engine is going to result in either a very weak splitter or one that is very slow. To pump 3000psi with a 29hp engine, you are going to be limited in flow to around 15gpm. I had a 14gpm pump on my 25hp engine and with a 4in bore cyl, speed was decent, altho I never put a clock on it. Power was sufficient for a 4way wedge, altho I did stick it a few times in large knotty white oak. To do a box wedge design capable of doing 6 splits as the OP wants, I dont think he will be very happy with a 4in bore cyl. Been there done that. I would suggest a minimum of 4.5 or even better a 5in bore cyl. I currently have a 5in cyl with the 28gpm 2 stage pump on my splitter and it does 6way splits pretty easily, even in knotty stuff. A 28gpm single stage pump behind a 29hp engine would most likey bog down at around 1500psi, and with a 5in cyl would only give about14.5 tons of splitting force.Thats a big difference compared to the 29tons if using a two stage pump.

I second the super splitter. I am a commercial operation that does well over 500 cords a year including bundles. I have had my SS for 3 years and have had no problems at all with it. I have more than paid for the splitter with savings in operational costs. I use 1/4 of a gallon of gas to split a cord of wood. With 3 guys I can split and load a cord in under 20 minutes. I have split 3 to 4 foot diameter rounds without any problems at all. I split pinyon pine and pinyon juniper with mine which are both very knotty. It splits green, dead and burned wood with no problem. I have had a couple of bolts work lose and have to lubricate the bearings regularly, but it is a lot better than replacing hydraulic hoses, filters and hydraulic oil on a regular basis. My customers love how cleanly the wood is split. I live in the high desert of Nevada and my splitter has no problem running in temperatures of below 0 to over 100 degrees. I personally would never run a hydraulic splitter again after owning a super splitter. There is no comparision between the two.

I second the super splitter. I am a commercial operation that does well over 500 cords a year including bundles. I have had my SS for 3 years and have had no problems at all with it. I have more than paid for the splitter with savings in operational costs. I use 1/4 of a gallon of gas to split a cord of wood. With 3 guys I can split and load a cord in under 20 minutes. I have split 3 to 4 foot diameter rounds without any problems at all. I split pinyon pine and pinyon juniper with mine which are both very knotty. It splits green, dead and burned wood with no problem. I have had a couple of bolts work lose and have to lubricate the bearings regularly, but it is a lot better than replacing hydraulic hoses, filters and hydraulic oil on a regular basis. My customers love how cleanly the wood is split. I live in the high desert of Nevada and my splitter has no problem running in temperatures of below 0 to over 100 degrees. I personally would never run a hydraulic splitter again after owning a super splitter. There is no comparision between the two.
How do you get a 4 foot diameter round from the ground to the ss? It might work for you but I don't trust myself to not get hurt.

image.jpeg
Found my engine. It is a 32 hp. Anyone have an idea what size pump would be in here. The one in here is big. I got a really good deal. It was sitting around at a golf course for three year cause they said the drive motors are bad but so far I haven't found anything wrong with the engine.

Back