Indiana GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is the F-150 project coming along Ian? I saw gas below 3 bucks a gallon today, hopefully itll stay down for a couple of more weeks, LOL.

I officially abandoned that hydrogen project tonight. I fiddled with it some, built one cell, didn't like it, came up with a different design and almost fell over when 18 7"x7" 20ga 316L stainless plates were going to run me about $180. In addition to that I would have to buy a $50 module to trick the truck's computer and a $100 EGT gauge to monitor exhaust temps to make sure I didn't lean it out too much with the module. All this to maybe save 5 mpg max IF it works.

Nah.

Ian

Last edited:
Brad how soft do you need?

Will there be any clean soft wood I could drop a hot rodded 084 with a good 20" chain into?

No pine here, no poplar close by.. How about some sassafras. \
Or you can use a chain of mine.
Seriously I have quite the variety skidded up to the GTG zone.
There is even a nice clean section of smaller beech there. besides the 24 plus pieces.,

gink595, where is Auburn are you. I live in Churubusco. I need to go to a gtg. Never been to one. Will see what I have happening.

Actually I live near a small town named Corunna off of US6 I'm about seven mi. from US6 and I-69 intersection. If your wanting to go maybe we can hook up somewhere in Ft. Wayne??

us 6 is the waterloo exit ain't it? I basically live off of 205.
what are your plans? shoot a pm.

us 6 is the waterloo exit ain't it? I basically live off of 205.
what are your plans? shoot a pm.

Yep sure is, I've been down 205 a time or 1000. Turtle Town, you guys are supposed to have a good football team this year. Do you live south of 33 or on the north side. My plans are as follows leave sometime Saturday morning it takes around 3.5 hours to get to Martinsville arrive cut, BS and afterward I was going on to Bloomington to stay a buddies place and then Sunday morning him and I are going to the GNCC motorcycle hare scramble race in Crawfordsville to watch the big boys race and scare the nuts off the trees.:clap:
http://www.gnccracing.com/video/

Will there be any clean soft wood I could drop a hot rodded 084 with a good 20" chain into?
Brad, do you think that 084 would hold up against my 1978 Mac 610 if I brought her to Martinsville for a showing? I just started her and she's idling pretty good--no chain movement. Seems to be crankin' close to 11000 wide open, no load, 20" standard Oregon bar and chain.

WDYT? Think it's worth the 12-hr drive to check the old girl out against some big meat? :greenchainsaw:

Brad, do you think that 084 would hold up against my 1978 Mac 610 if I brought her to Martinsville for a showing? I just started her and she's idling pretty good--no chain movement. Seems to be crankin' close to 11000 wide open, no load, 20" standard Oregon bar and chain.

WDYT? Think it's worth the 12-hr drive to check the old girl out against some big meat? :greenchainsaw:

I don't know if the 084 will hang or not. It's only turning about 13,500-13,750 RPMs.

I don't know if the 084 will hang or not. It's only turning about 13,500-13,750 RPMs.
Figures. My goose is cooked. Guess I'd better bring that new MS 361 for you to look over as well.

Actually, the only time I ever went head-to-head with the 610 was against a Stihl MS 029 running an 18" bar in big, 22" cottonwood. It cleaned the 029's clock. But, that was back in '97. Times have changed.

Last edited:
south of 33. The eagle are doing pretty good. can't really watch football alot (personal reasons). I just might follow you down maybe. Can't stay because wife might not like the Ideal.
I don't know any of you guys so if i come will you play nice????

"Hang?" Not sure exactly what you mean while bucking a big log. I cannot recall any of my saws hanging while bucking. Maybe in horizontal felling mode when I either pushed too hard or got tired.

Do extra RPM's cancel out lots of torque and a really sharp chain?

Forum, please advise. Perhaps here's Brad's old and beat up nemesis next week:
Mac610-1.jpg

Last edited:
south of 33. The eagle are doing pretty good. can't really watch football alot (personal reasons). I just might follow you down maybe. Can't stay because wife might not like the Ideal.
I don't know any of you guys so if i come will you play nice????

You'll be just fine great group of guys, not a stranger in the bunch. :)

Well none stranger than Ian anyway. :laugh:

:biggrinbounce2:

Depends on the torque and the chain.... LOL
Ian
Ian, I have two major questions that need to be answered:

(1) Can my own stock Stihl MS 361 with a 20" bar beat this 40-year-old Mac 610 cutting a typical 24" dia. log.?

(2) Can any stock 60 cc or less saw, unmodified in any way beat this 1978 Mac 610 Timberbear?

I think those are legitimate questions that could be answered in Martinsville, IN next Saturday. Would you not agree? :greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back