Information on climbing installs for Starlink?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Anon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey folks. Been reading the forums for a while and got some great info. Ran a search for "starlink" and didn't find any previous threads, so here I am.

This week my neighbor approached me about doing some climbing work to install his starlink receiver. We live in a heavily wooded area (mostly conifers). We decided to go up a 100+ foot pine tree, top it and place the receiver at the top. Haven't finished yet but I'm reaching out to see if anyone has done this work.

I can already see a ton of people in my community are going to want the same service. Basically I'm not sure what to charge. I know it will vary from job to job but has anyone done any similar work and have a dollar figure for this kind of thing? Any input on pricing or any of the installation would be helpful! Thanks in advance.

It's common in CA, especially SoCal but please don't top that tree. Find a way to point the receiver in the proper direction and maybe prune around it.

Assuming there was no topping and perhaps some minimal pruning with haul away- and assuming the receiver is simple to mount with a wire of some sort running down the tree, it sounds like a 2 hour job, especially if you climb SRT and can get a good tie in point.

For something like that, I would charge something like 400-600. Would be a fun Saturday job with the kids

It's common in CA, especially SoCal but please don't top that tree. Find a way to point the receiver in the proper direction and maybe prune around it.

Assuming there was no topping and perhaps some minimal pruning with haul away- and assuming the receiver is simple to mount with a wire of some sort running down the tree, it sounds like a 2 hour job, especially if you climb SRT and can get a good tie in point.

For something like that, I would charge something like 400-600. Would be a fun Saturday job with the kids
Why no topping? Based on the setup of Starlink, you need a pretty unobstructed view and it would be pretty difficult in this conifer jungle to get it without the receiver being at the top of the tree.

The neighbors have their starlink dish on the ground, not up a tree.

Why no topping? Based on the setup of Starlink, you need a pretty unobstructed view and it would be pretty difficult in this conifer jungle to get it without the receiver being at the top of the tree.
1. Topping is bad for the tree.
2. Faster than you think, the tree's upper branches will form new multiple leaders, and you will be in worse shape than before.

It's sad that is even a question in 2022. Anybody who has been paying any attention at all to appropriate tree care knows topping is not an acceptable practice. I'm NOT saying it isn't done...it is, far too often. I AM saying it is a bad practice.

There are 2 kinds of people who top trees:
A) Don't know what they are doing...they have a chainsaw and a truck and are just cutting stuff because somebody paid them to do it. (or a homeowner is doing it because the think something needs cut and they don't know any better). They know nothing or proper tree care or how trees respond to wounding. If these folks have been around for a while, they are the ones of whom it is said "he doesn't have 30 years of experience...he has one year of experience repeated 30 times".
---Or the alternative---
B) Know exactly what they are doing...destroying a tree such that somebody will need to be back in a few years to deal with it again (and they expect it will be them). They know the wounds will lead to significant rot. They know full well that the response growth will be poorly attached and begin to fall apart so the client will call them back to "thin it out" or "clean it up" and they'll top it again. After a few cycles of that, the tree needs removed. If the naive client still owns the house, they'll call their regular tree guy to take it down.

Here are a few links if you want to read more:
https://extension.psu.edu/dont-top-treeshttps://www.treesaregood.org/treeowner/pruningyourtreeshttps://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=30077https://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/woody/do-not-top.shtmlhttps://www.dnr.wa.gov/anti-tree-topping

It's sad that is even a question in 2022. Anybody who has been paying any attention at all to appropriate tree care knows topping is not an acceptable practice. I'm NOT saying it isn't done...it is, far too often. I AM saying it is a bad practice.

There are 2 kinds of people who top trees:
A) Don't know what they are doing...they have a chainsaw and a truck and are just cutting stuff because somebody paid them to do it. (or a homeowner is doing it because the think something needs cut and they don't know any better). They know nothing or proper tree care or how trees respond to wounding. If these folks have been around for a while, they are the ones of whom it is said "he doesn't have 30 years of experience...he has one year of experience repeated 30 times".
---Or the alternative---
B) Know exactly what they are doing...destroying a tree such that somebody will need to be back in a few years to deal with it again (and they expect it will be them). They know the wounds will lead to significant rot. They know full well that the response growth will be poorly attached and begin to fall apart so the client will call them back to "thin it out" or "clean it up" and they'll top it again. After a few cycles of that, the tree needs removed. If the naive client still owns the house, they'll call their regular tree guy to take it down.

Here are a few links if you want to read more:
https://extension.psu.edu/dont-top-treeshttps://www.treesaregood.org/treeowner/pruningyourtreeshttps://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=30077https://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/woody/do-not-top.shtmlhttps://www.dnr.wa.gov/anti-tree-topping
Funny because no where in my question did I ask about whether it was acceptable to top a tree. The job I'm on in particular asked me specifically to top the tree. It's their tree and they can do what they want with it.

Where on earth did you get the idea your values should apply to everyone else? If you are passionate about not topping a tree, that's great. Don't do it. However, unless you want to buy the tree here in particular or any others that are slated to be topped: mind your own business.

Funny because no where in my question did I ask about whether it was acceptable to top a tree. The job I'm on in particular asked me specifically to top the tree. It's their tree and they can do what they want with it.

Where on earth did you get the idea your values should apply to everyone else? If you are passionate about not topping a tree, that's great. Don't do it. However, unless you want to buy the tree here in particular or any others that are slated to be topped: mind your own business.
You came to an arborist site and asked what the going rate is for topping trees.... unfortunately we won't be able to help you. Having never topped a tree, I have no idea what to charge. These "values" are what is known as acceptable industry practices.

You came to an arborist site and asked what the going rate is for topping trees.... unfortunately we won't be able to help you. Having never topped a tree, I have no idea what to charge. These "values" are what is known as acceptable industry practices.
Maybe your reading comprehension isn't up to par, but I was specifically asking about starlink installation rates and ideas from anyone who had experience in this arena. Instead we identified some self righteous people who make lots of assumptions and offer their judgement where it is not wanted or asked for.

Yes, now the personal attacks and insults come out. Speaking of reading comprehension, if you had read the introduction to this forum you would have seen this is for experienced climbers only, and that new to the business questions should be posted in arborist 101
I saw no personal insults until you told him to GTFO.

Yes, now the personal attacks and insults come out. Speaking of reading comprehension, if you had read the introduction to this forum you would have seen this is for experienced climbers only, and that new to the business questions should be posted in arborist 101
I think young people have an expression to cover this situation: stay in your lane.

1. Topping is bad for the tree.
2. Faster than you think, the tree's upper branches will form new multiple leaders, and you will be in worse shape than before.
...especially if it's Ponderosa pine, which is probably the most common species of pine in Ca. Topping is a practice done by PG&E line clearance contractors to guarantee future work lol.

Oh honey it's cute that you assume I'm a novice in the industry just to make yourself feel better about being self righteous and insulting.
I know plenty of climbers that have been ****ing up perfectly good trees for decades. Do you think you're the first hack to come on here and try and justify topping? Based on you not even knowing what to charge for a.job, I think newbie is a reasonable assumption.

I know plenty of climbers that have been ****ing up perfectly good trees for decades. Do you think you're the first hack to come on here and try and justify topping? Based on you not even knowing what to charge for a.job, I think newbie is a reasonable assumption.
Please take the last word so you can feel like you won. This thread was never about the ethics of topping a tree and others managed to submit their opinions on the matter respectfully.

Please, share with us how many starlink installations you have done and how the antenna should be installed. If the homeowner knows the risks of topping a tree and decides their internet connection is more important, that's what I'll do for them. Shame on me but I believe adults are capable of making informed decisions about their own trees. Again, take the last word and dazzle us with your superior ethics and technical proficiency installing starlink (the intended topic of the thread).

Latest posts

Back