Input on buying from which catalog??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I LOVE FIREWOOD

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the profession and don't know much, just wondering which catalog is better to order from, rope,gaffs so on,so on, I have to order everything which I have nothing yet. Thanks for the input.

Nothing wrong with catalog ordering, but for a novice such as yourself,seeing the gear and trying it hands on is a better approach. Try and go to a trade show or store and try on different saddles and feel differnt ropes before buying. Look for training sessions in your area and see the gear in use to get an idea what you want. This is a dangerous business and proper training is just as important and what to buy. Be careful.

How would I find out about a training session in my area? Never really heard about them around here, Springfield,oh?

There are basically 3 places I go to for 90%+ of my stuff. 2 of them are sponsors here: Bailey's and Sherrill. Out of respect for the sponsors, I am not sure it is appropriate to pass along specific names or links to non-sponsors. The other place I shop advertises on the back of the Buckeye Arborist (the publication of Ohio's chapter of ISA).

Sherrill periodically has safety training stuff in patnership with Vermeer stores. Click on their link in the advertisers' section above and check under the "news and events" tab. Looks like they are done in our area for the year, but I am sure they will have a 2009 schedule as well.

For trade shows close to home: The Ohio Nursery and Landscape Association puts on the CENTS show in Columbus (Jan 26-28, 2009). Definately more targetted towards "landscaping" and less specific towards arborists, but probably worth going to for anybody newer to the field or folks shopping for stuff. More specific to the field of arboriculture and the one I make a higher priority is the Ohio Tree Care Conference put on by Ohio ISA (Feb 22-24, 2009). Smaller "trade show" portion, but much better sessions/classes.

Last edited:
Back