Inside the Husqvarna 550XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Mitch, I have a PM850 I just put together and need to test, have any logs available? Old school vs. modern technology.

I will try to remember and call Steve Ericksen tomorrow to see if he stiil has all of those trees in the pasture.

Mark

Sure I could scrounge something up ;)

Little bit of a mismatch don't you think?

Nice run down in the vid there Mitch:clap:

Anytime, Brad. These threads are fun to make but dang they take some time :crazy1:

All you will need is a 5mm allen and a crabide for the muffler.

what physically moves the needles? Is it a turning electric motor? Do the needles move in and out like a plunger with a geared shaft on them maybe?

All hooked up. Thank you for making access to the port easier. What a pain on the 562.

DSC_0202 by mweba1, on Flickr

Hmm. So once you plug all that garb up, you put the headset on and it talks to ya? I also see you cut the trailer light wiring off of it. That should lighten it up a bit, no? But how ya gonna let the guy behind ya know your fixin to nimbly pull a sideways balancing act off?

Think saftey Mitch, think saftey.....

When you ran it stock, did you find it was louder, quieter, or the same as any other 50cc stock saw?

what physically moves the needles? Is it a turning electric motor? Do the needles move in and out like a plunger with a geared shaft on them maybe?

Will be doing some carb work so the controller will have to be removed. If I remember right, the whole unit is sealed making the "motors" impossible to see. My guess would be a coiled diaphragm set up like a speaker....but that is only a guess.

When you ran it stock, did you find it was louder, quieter, or the same as any other 50cc stock saw?

Would say the same as nothing really stood out for me. They easily get louder with a MM though.

The 576 carb with autotune had the diaphragm connected to the black box if I remember right. I don't remember if it had all the wires and stuff on the carb like that one.

Last edited:
If it was a coil and magnet setup like a speaker it would either need current prior to startup to open the needles or they would have to return to a 'default' open resting position that would allow the saw to start. I don't think the second theory would allow a ported/muff mod saw to start well.

Very interesting stuff. Please take some pics if you have a carb apart. I'm very curious how it works

Back