Inside the MS241C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What a fine little saw this is. The design is a cross between a 261C and a 461. The quad transfers are all fed from the front of the cylinder, just like the 461 and 661. The rest of the saw is basically 261C. Quality is very nice. I was disappointed to see several self tapping screws, such as those holding the intake manifold to the cylinder and the coil to cylinder bolts. Not a big deal though.

Compression 155
Squish .025"

I'll have another one of these shortly for a side-by-side comparison. I'm looking for a test log, but wanted to get going on this thing tonight.

Before measuring port timing, I first cut a .020" popup on the piston and set the squish to .020". The crown was not thick enough for a taller popup.

Before porting
Exhaust - 110°
Transfers - 123° (angled significantly)
Intake - 71°

After porting
Exhaust - 107°
Transfers - 123° (flat)
Intake - 77°

The exhaust was widened significantly to 70% of the bore.
The intake was widened slightly, limited by the narrow skirt found on most strato saws.
The transfers are angled significantly from the factory. I made them flat and slightly widened them. This significantly increases the time and area.
The strato ports were widened slightly.
A large lip at the entrance to the transfer intake duct was removed.
I opened the original exhaust opening on the muffler as much as could be covered by the deflector. I added a second port, using the gills I have on most 261s that I've done.
I removed the baffles from the filter adapter.

It idles perfectly, hits WOT instantly, and returns to idle fast. The saw feels like a little monster. I can't wait to cut with it.

I HOPE TO MAKE A VIDEO TOMORROW!!!

IMG_1764-M.jpg

IMG_1765-M.jpg

IMG_1766-M.jpg

IMG_1767-M.jpg

IMG_1768-M.jpg

IMG_1769-M.jpg

IMG_1770-L.jpg

Plastic bar cover.
IMG_1771-M.jpg

IMG_1772-M.jpg

IMG_1773-M.jpg

IMG_1774-M.jpg

IMG_1777-M.jpg

IMG_1782-M.jpg

IMG_1783-M.jpg

IMG_1785-M.jpg

IMG_1791-M.jpg

IMG_1792-M.jpg

IMG_1793-M.jpg

New style plugs. I like them.
IMG_1794-M.jpg

IMG_1800-M.jpg

l love these little guys (even though they've only 1 nut!):laugh:. A true lil pro saw! A little pricey for 40cc's but the service life makes them great value. Quality is remembered well after price is forgotten. Stihl really thought about this one and hit the nail on the head. It's easy to fall in love with this lil cutey, since getting one the ms261 takes back seat... Nice pics btw Brad! Thanks 4 sharing and feeding our CAD.

Last edited:
Talked to the local dealer today about them. Not available here for another month or two.

Q: Do they have large or small bar mounts? These saws seem to beg to be run with Picco B&C.

Nice pics as always.

You could use a little practice on your tool set-up though, your cuts look pretty rough eh?

I still do not see the reckoning of buying a new wiz-bang saw and sending it out to be modified.

Guess it's the Tim Allen syndrome grunt, grunt?

The machining centers these saws are produced on just can't compare to a chinese lathe and a dremil eh?

Nice pics as always.

You could use a little practice on your tool set-up though, your cuts look pretty rough eh?

I still do not see the reckoning of buying a new wiz-bang saw and sending it out to be modified.

Guess it's the Tim Allen syndrome grunt, grunt?

The machining centers these saws are produced on just can't compare to a chinese lathe and a dremil eh?
Mo I am to blame. I was supposed to get over there and help him with that.
I am trying to get there just after Easter and get him up to speed.
Form follows function. I'll catch him up.

Talked to the local dealer today about them. Not available here for another month or two.

Q: Do they have large or small bar mounts? These saws seem to beg to be run with Picco B&C.
They use the small 3005 mount and I believe they are coming with picco in the US. From what videos I have seen they pull .325 very well though. There is an optional .325 rim sprocket kit available.

Niceee work Brad. I can't wait to pic one up. Should be able to order one this coming week. Somebody has go to do a stock vs stock comparission with the saw and say the 261c-m, 346xp, 550xp Etc. Then do the same with all them ported!

Very nice! Can't wait to see the video. How does it compare to a Dolmar 421 in your eyes?

Mo I am to blame. I was supposed to get over there and help him with that.
I am trying to get there just after Easter and get him up to speed.
Form follows function. I'll catch him up.
Dang Unc,

never knew he was your kin too!

Does that mean brad and me are related?

No SIR, we are not related!

gary-sinise-lt-dan-taylor-tom-hanks-forrest.jpg

I knew from the first time i've seen the 241 i want that to be my limbing saw when i can afford one. They've been around here for a while and i've heard nothing but good things bout them. :)

Sure am glad we have resident geniuses that can fix all the 'flaws' of them stupid guys that design these saws eh?

I betch they find out who dunnit they would be happy to extend your warranty eh?

Me thinks if people would learn how to file a chain, they would not see the need for mo-powr.

Then again, what the heck do I know,,,,,,,,,,,,,I run Dulmars Eeekkk!

Great pics Brad! Thanks for going to the trouble to take the pics and create this thread. I stayed up late last night, but not late enough.

Hey Brad,

I have two questions. When you open a muffler like that, I presume you use a dremel to cut the slits, but do you cut all the slits first or one by one before bending, I presume with a screwdriver, outside? Further do you start the bending process on the engine side(in the photo right side) or on the exhaust (in the photo left side) or do you just don't care? And last how much distance between the slits?

Thanks!

Back