Inside the MS241C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice post I was searching for more info on 3/8 vs 325 on a 241 spur and rim and came across this lot of great info guys

I do not. If you want a new, modded saw, that can be arranged.
I'm cutting in the high NM desert, and am downright paranoid about starting fires, so hesitate to mod the muffler. Honestly, I know next to nothing about hot-rodding two-stroke engines. What would you suggest? I just want a really light saw with reasonable power, have also been looking at the 543xp. It's weird, but the older I get the more weight my saws seem to gain.

Would not consider the 543. It is not a true Husky XP saw. It's a re-badged Redmax. The 241 is a much better built saw. Obviously, the gill style MM I like to do would not be a good idea for you. I would come up with something different, incorporating a spark arrestor screen.

Would not consider the 543. It is not a true Husky XP saw. It's a re-badged Redmax. The 241 is a much better built saw. Obviously, the gill style MM I like to do would not be a good idea for you. I would come up with something different, incorporating a spark arrestor screen.
What would it cost with just the muffler mod, then? I can't remember if you did any muffler-mod-only-comparisons. What would you charge for the port job etc in addition?

Ok long shot hear,

Ha! I realize this thread is 6 years old and I have got rid of most of my home owner stihl saws, especially 200 series, but a friend of mine has a 241c for sale and he describes what sounds like an intermittent lean condition or? With this being an mtronic saw I am a bit lear that that is the problem. The saw starts and runs great but then it runs away like high throttle. Saw was sent back to the dealer and they could not find a problem.

Has anyone with a 241c of mtronic saw for for that matter had this issue as described? And no not that the dealer could not find a problem but the runaway high throttle situation, mtronic saws only?

Seemed to me like a bad throttle Solonoid or the control module, but Stihl says no and could not duplicate. thought I would throw it out there.

MS241 is a pro saw, btw. First thing I'd do is replace the Mtronic fuel solenoid and fuel filter. Faulty solenoids have caused all kinds of grief for Mtronic saws. Make sure the new filter has an orange element. The older ones were white, and didn't filter the fines out as well, and allowed them to hang up the solenoids. When doing that, I'd also make sure that the carburetor is sealed well to the boot, and that the carb boot is sealed to the engine. Air leaks will cause a lot of run away type situations.

If that doesn't fix it, I'd check to see if the cylinder base gasket is leaking. A few shots of brake parts cleaner to these areas, with a running engine can tell you if you have a problem. Just do it on a cool engine, and be careful to not start a fire. Have to use the non-chlorinated stuff, which is flammable.

Back