Installing the Stihl 025 oil pump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlofadeal64

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Picked up a 025 last week from a guy. It has been run with the chain brake on (obviously). Though it did not destroy the crankcase -- most of what looked like damage was simply black saw-hash that had heated up and burned in the clutch cavity. Here's my question. The Stihl shop manual shows the use of a special tool to install the (stem-like) oil pump. The parts list also shows two different pump sizes in diameter. One of the pump's is .1mm larger in diameter and one source revealed that it was to be used if the install area "needed the larger pump" because of the crank plastic casting possibly being damaged.

Since I cranked the saw today I noticed that it did oil, however it took longer for the oil to reach the access hole on the side, and more oil seemed to be seeping from underneath the clutch area. After I removed the clutch and the worm gear I could not exactly tell where the oil was coming from -- I'm assuming it is coming from around the pump stem (since it was heated up when previously ran with the chain brake on). There was a liberal amount distributed around in the clutch cavity (perhaps it ran out around the pump stem and was then distributed by the spinning worm gear). Here's my questions:

#1. Can I install the gear without the special Stihl tool. If so can someone give me some direction.

#2. Is the slightly oversized pump stem going to be what I need? If someone else has had a similar problem, please post up the solution.

Thanks in advance for your answers and insight. Happy New Year!

Last edited:
It is referring to a higher output pump. Sounds like you must have molten a passge open to the oil.

Thread a metric screw into the bottom of the pump and pull it straight out, but you will have to mark the depth and direction to reinstall it correctly. But in your case I think you may need a new case, unless your vent has fallen out.

#1. Can I install the gear without the special Stihl tool. If so can someone give me some direction.

#2. Is the slightly oversized pump stem going to be what I need? If someone else has had a similar problem, please post up the solution.

Thanks in advance for your answers and insight. Happy New Year!

Stihlofadeal64,

I was also having problems w/ a 025 oiling properly and noticed the threads on the inside of the pump. A 5mm x 8mm screw or longer will fit in the pump so that you can pull it out of the case.

Before you pull the pump you will have to pull the sprocket and clutch so you can scribe a mark on the old pump. Measure the distance on the old pump and transfer a mark onto the new pump. If you happen to forget how to orient the pump just look at the raised symbol by the elbow connector for the oil pump.

Let us know how things go. Have a Happy New Year!

Latest posts

Back