Insurance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a new company this year and employ one or two part time helpers at an time. My insurance covers up to 5K for injury for one full time employee. I have a safety manual that every employee signs stating that he has been trained in the use of the equipment and that he is ultimately responsible for his own safety. That policy also covers 1 mil in liability for the customers property and my equipment.
Is this enough for a small company?

CwbyClmr;

There is no such thing as 'enough' insurance for a small company. Big company or small company, what is going to be the difference? The 'sorry we killed someone but we are just a small company' defence is not a legal effort likely to be very successful. Of course, that would be for a judge and jury to decide.

My suggestion is that you do a 'risk assessment'. An insurance broker experienced in issues related to arborists can help you. In the U.S., contact ArborMax or TreePro. In Canada, TREESURE (see: www.treesure.ca). These risk experts will review your operations (you do not say what type of work you do - felling & removal, consulting, line clearing, etc.) and they can make suggestions on liability coverage including type and amount. Once their suggestions are made, as a business owner you can then make your decisions (based on affordability, etc.).

Best Wishes!

Scott

Safe and Secure

CwbyClmr;

There is no such thing as 'enough' insurance for a small company. Big company or small company, what is going to be the difference? The 'sorry we killed someone but we are just a small company' defence is not a legal effort likely to be very successful. Of course, that would be for a judge and jury to decide.

My suggestion is that you do a 'risk assessment'. An insurance broker experienced in issues related to arborists can help you. In the U.S., contact ArborMax or TreePro. In Canada, TREESURE (see: www.treesure.ca). These risk experts will review your operations (you do not say what type of work you do - felling & removal, consulting, line clearing, etc.) and they can make suggestions on liability coverage including type and amount. Once their suggestions are made, as a business owner you can then make your decisions (based on affordability, etc.).

Best Wishes!

Scott

The above advice sounds good to me. I am doing footwork to start my own small tree company. I will meet with a lawyer to incorporate my business and get direction on what coverage is best for my needs. I will continue to get information and help in this forum. I will definitely contact the above suggested insurance brokers for there input. Thanks for the sound advice. My goals are simple:quality service, customer satisfaction, and most importantly, a safe and secure work environment. Thanks!

wc

What gets to me is this coverage does'nt even resemble
anything fair. You will feel as if you been violated just hearing
a quote ! I have never had lost time accident in over twenty
years but was told 31 percent was my cost . I then asked what
his was, 23 cents per hundred !!! I could understand we have
dangerous occupation but 31 percent is highway robbery.
Also I have friends that say they would rather waive their
rights to get more money and would buy their own saws gear
pay their own taxes ! It is a shame an adult cannot have a choice
in this matter because it forces me to use temps who i'm not
sure will hold a rope, or let go which can ruin a rep and make
a million in liability go threw the roof!!!! The biggest problem
is; customers will hardly pay what I have to make at present!
I already pay over four grand ins. to cover two commercial
vehicles and find it difficult to produce enough income to pay
expense now! I have seriously considered quitting because
people here don't care about professional work they are only
interested in cost and with 22 tree services listed in a town
the size of mine my phone rings slow . Even if it rang ten times
daily it would not matter a whole lot; when you bid two pine
removals, stumps ground all debris removed 1000., and you
are the highest; well you get the point! The pines where
32 in. diam. 36 on the other one, and were not easy even though
I have bucket! I don't know if I can survive this season
with all the cutthroats here, thought of moving to where some
of you work. I have never been paid what some of you are
getting for services rendered and could afford more overhead
with an income that would support it

Ropensaddle, Moving to another area sounds like your best option. (as long as its not mine, lol) I've been lucky that I compete in a small 'niche' by performing more high end pruning, hazard tree assessments and pest/pathology consults than big nasty removals. I take those jobs but my insurance becomes rather obsolete after I haul my butt over 35'. As for my employees, they are part-time brush draggers and they never run a saw, my chipper, or my dump. Yeah, im tired @ the end of the day but everyones injury free.

I have a new company this year and employ one or two part time helpers at an time. My insurance covers up to 5K for injury for one full time employee. I have a safety manual that every employee signs stating that he has been trained in the use of the equipment and that he is ultimately responsible for his own safety. That policy also covers 1 mil in liability for the customers property and my equipment.
Is this enough for a small company?

Who t0ld yo uthat?
as long as they are on your doine you are resposible for thier safty .I ve heard of scams like this a lawyer gives bad advice draws s up some fancy sounding paper and then takes your cash now sokmething bad happensat a job you are left holding the bag and every one is xcoming for you your about to make your employess very wealthy , espcailly if they filed 1099sas mort do out of fear .
prepare to lose everythinmg as a good liablitly workmans comp workplace injury lawyer will eat you alive . you will be ;living in damn tent get the right insuranceA SAP stop any work untill you have it those papers are not worth tiolet paper .

they are meaning less lots get taken in by this scam it sounds good you akke mor money no paying workans comp loks good i on your insureance untill some one gets smart . or the hoaspital bills you and they will as now many states require any workplace injury be billed to ot workplace period . hence no subcontracots I knowa lanscap[er trotting in hassiburg pa for a good 20- 30 and then when he gets out NH and main get him he will die in prison for screwong hus employees and the rest of us taxpyers .
i hiured did it right gave benies even toi our part timne oficie gal wgho hada itchy finger fro the chainsaw she did both . and was full timeuntill my injury i got them jobs but all want ot com,eback iwonder why ?

Last edited:
I carry 2mil liability and the guys I use on jobs are labeled as "subcontractors." My attorney tells me this makes it their responsibility to provide their own insurance as they are not labeled "employees." I'm incorporated and that insulates personal assets against litigation.

Get a new lawyer ASAP or your going to lose everthing all it takes is one guy getting hurt even a minro injury every one from the feds to the employees is gona want a huge hunck of your hide and a jury is gona give it that is one thing that pisses off juries . Basically screwing your employees . Sorry if it is harsbut you hurt us all of us when you pull that scam and I have no sympathy if aperson who pulls it does alongtinme in federal prison
they are on your dime they are your repsonisblity . you choose not to have it that way . it does not work that way if thery are on your time and dime you are resposibliitry

If i was you , I would shutdown get soem good tax aSSA WC and thn soem alwyerys sell your jobs out . soem one will buy thm and get yopur kl legal matters fixed then rember this all it takes isa pissed of employees and they are you let go to run to the SSA yourare in silcver braceletes and remandeded w/ o bail
my gues is if you come clean noiw your gonna do ok wait tillafter tax timne and your playing with firer, they meaning the IRS andSSA are looking very carfully forevery penny as thery need it .

good luck

i justhopwe no one whith a grudge agaisnt that type of employent practice is reading

Last edited:
what the hell did you just say.. not to be rude but can anyone decifer this code.

Get a new lawyer ASAP or your going to lose everthing all it takes is one guy getting hurt even a minro injury every one from the feds to the employees is gona want a huge hunck of your hide and a jury is gona give it that is one thing that pisses off juries . Basically screwing your employees . Sorry if it is harsbut you hurt us all of us when you pull that scam and I have no sympathy if aperson who pulls it does alongtinme in federal prison
they are on your dime they are your repsonisblity . you choose not to have it that way . it does not work that way if thery are on your time and dime you are resposibliitry

If i was you , I would shutdown get soem good tax aSSA WC and thn soem alwyerys sell your jobs out . soem one will buy thm and get yopur kl legal matters fixed then rember this all it takes isa pissed of employees and they are you let go to run to the SSA yourare in silcver braceletes and remandeded w/ o bail
my gues is if you come clean noiw your gonna do ok wait tillafter tax timne and your playing with firer, they meaning the IRS andSSA are looking very carfully forevery penny as thery need it .

good luck

i justhopwe no one whith a grudge agaisnt that type of employent practice is reading

what the hell did you just say.. not to be rude but can anyone decifer this code.

Hell I amr eally sick ofit I got injured and it is noneof your da,n bussiness.
I am sure most can get the gist of what I am saying . But But those spelling freaks out there geta grip one it is typing i run a chainsaw to make money . I cannot make my voice recgognition system work as in I am not a computer type . But after reading my post isis understadanble deal with it . and If you really did not wqant otbe rude you would have sent as PM .

it amzes me howmany guys type so well and do not have nervedamage to thier hands or your a youngster or such maybe you just did nit likkew whati said so ya tossed out a insult .
thanks

But making fun of some one reallyserves no purpose except waste server space

not making fun at all... just had a hard time understanding what you said.

Hey my brother set up my computer where it would spell check my post I am bad about spelling too but the spell check is a life saver .

Latest posts

Back