Introduction from Norcal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnskis

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all been kicking around for a few days now as a member been reading for a good while at least 4 to 5 times a day its an addiction at this point and CAD is gradually setting in i do believe. Im from about 20 minutes west of Sacramento, California and have been using chainsaws most of my life. I learned from my grandpa and dad as all young boys should right great way to learn and appreciate a hard days work, and the proper way and sometimes not so proper ways to do things. I spent a year or 2 working as a wildland firefighter which really spurred my love of using chainsaws and other tools meant for the purpose of dealing with brush trees and other hazards when fighting a fire. I spent a month or so with a sawyer learning to care for my saw and use it properly when we had time, He had a big Stihl saw i believe it was a 440 as my memory serves but i could be wrong. I also learned the basics of felling trees from him which i still use every bit of what he taught me each time i drop one of the big eucalyptus standing on my property( approximately 30 acres of red gum) I generally just use my saws for firewood anymore as i haven't worked in wildland for several seasons now, though that's not to say that i wont again in the future. If anybody is close to my area and needs help or just want to shoot the **** give me a holler love to talk saws with people or share information. Nice to meet you all everybody has been great so far and very friendly its great to see a bunch of strangers across the country with a common interest coming together to share there knowledge and stories. Just a little introduction for the member who i havent met and a better one for the ones i have.

I've read that many times since I started reading articles here and man I'm glad you guys helped me with my choice and after careful thought I'm glad I ended up with the saw I did though a 044 may be on the table in the future still love my grumpy old stihl. Took many pulls to get started today I was quite chilly and it didn't feel like runny, need a new air cleaner for it too though the eucalyptus dust is like a blanket on the filter after a short day of cutting.

wow .........look at that little green saw in the front of the truck bed .....lol
20141118_170726-jpg.381463

Clint, what mods do U plan? Filter, dp muff cover, porting???

U know U R not allowed to run a stock saw on this site!
I swapped the 440 muffler for an 044 muffler (much larger outlet), leaned it out a bit, added the big dogs and tall clutch cover, and I've got an HD-2 in the shed for it.... But after running it today I think it's gonna need a bit more power! This saw is much nicer than the 044 I'm putting together, so it seems like a good candidate for the Mastermind jug I've been saving! ;)

Latest posts

Back