Introduction & Seeking input on a dilemma

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LokiMack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello forum members. I live in central Tx and musta been a lumberjack in a previous life, I really enjoy anything to do with logging. My nickname as a child was Paul Bunyan in line with my initials of PBM. I am a Locomotive Engineer for UPRR in order to pay my bills and buy chains. I get about 8-12 tree removal/clearing jobs per year; plus the firewood/BBQ wood we cut, but am by no means a professional. I grew up around McColluch saws, as that was what the local hardware store sold. I bought my first Stihl in 1993, and have owned 021, 023, & MS311. I am looking forward to learning alot more from the members here.

I have been scouring the forums for about a week now trying to gather as much info as I could. I am in the market for a larger saw. I am looking for a saw to pull a 25-28" bar. I cut Oak, Pecan, Native Aromatic Cedar, Mesquite, Hackberry, and a few other types. I was looking at the MS362 but after reading numerous posts, I started looking for a used (due to price) 044 or 440.

The Dilemma:
While searching, I ran across a MS441 W/20"B&C in very good condition for ~$700. I would probably have the oiler upgraded at a later date, so that cost might need to be figured in. I also looked into a new Husky 372XP (w/whatever B&C I want) for $880 + tax. I am not brand loyal, but I do tend to lean towards Stihl. I have never owned a Husky saw, but I had terrible luck with a Husky weed eater. There is a Husky dealer 10 min East but they are hit or miss on service quality, and theres another about an hour away but they are mainly a retailer. I have 2 GOOD Stihl dealers within 15 min, and 2 more (one is A+) 45 min away.

So would yall suggest the lighlty used 441 for $700 or the new warrantied 372 for $952

Welcome to AS! Run Away! While you can!

You've answered your own question. Saw warranties are rarely needed, but when they are, it's only as good as the dealer. Your experience has been with stihl, your fave dealers are stihl. Go with the stihl. This is coming from a guy that likes Huskies.

Is the 441 a 'c'? If I were going to pop $700 for a used stihl, I would wait for a very nice 044/440, but that's just me.

Don't worry, someone will be along shortly to tell you to get a 7910.

Welcome to AS! Run Away! While you can!

You've answered your own question. Saw warranties are rarely needed, but when they are, it's only as good as the dealer. Your experience has been with stihl, your fave dealers are stihl. Go with the stihl. This is coming from a guy that likes Huskies.

Is the 441 a 'c'? If I were going to pop $700 for a used stihl, I would wait for a very nice 044/440, but that's just me.

Don't worry, someone will be along shortly to tell you to get a 7910.
hahahaha this is awesome. im a stihl guy and tell him to get the husky. youre a husky guy and tell him to get the stihl. what has the world come to. poor fella.

A good used 044/440 or 046/460 will make you very happy. I have found the 372's seemed to work for me after porting. Stock for stock I would take a 044, 441, 460 first.

LokiMack do you enjoy working on your own equipment ? If so don't worry about warranties as they are about worthless unless your a high volume customer. My recommendation would be Stihl or Husky pro saws. Do some hands on research and see what you like, if you stick with the pro saws you can't go wrong. 044/440 and 272/372xp are good choices. Ken

Oh Welcome ! And if you stumble onto a old Mac 81 forget everything above and enjoy it !

Thanks for the warm welcome and words of wisdom. The 441 is a "C"; and the gentleman says he is the original owner. Money is always tight, but I will spend a little more to get quality. The saw will not be my primary, hence the desire to try to locate an excellent condition used unit. In my neck of the woods 70cc and up saws are rare; most people around here use 18" and under, so this class of saw very rarely pops up in pawn shops, classifieds, or on CL. Whats the Difference between the 441C and the 441CM? The M-Tronics?

I've had several 441's and personally don't like them. I would go with a good used 440/460/372 or now my new love is for the 385/390.
Welcome to AS!!
I thought I was the only one that disliked 441s ! Who designed that saw the 270/280 guy! 441 has 30 more parts than a440.

I thought I was the only one that disliked 441s ! Who designed that saw the 270/280 guy! 441 has 30 more parts than a440.
Out of 5 of them, not one was considered problem free and they were all brand new. It doesn't help that they were put into a lot of different hands (some worse than others) during daily tree work but so aren't all the other saws (440/460/372) and they keep on ticking. There's more to list but those are the ones the OP is talking about. Of course they have their problems on occasion but I'm talking about yrs of use and not one of the 441's lasted more than a yr without major issues.

Out of 5 of them, not one was considered problem free and they were all brand new. It doesn't help that they were put into a lot of different hands (some worse than others) during daily tree work but so aren't all the other saws (440/460/372) and they keep on ticking. There's more to list but those are the ones the OP is talking about. Of course they have their problems on occasion but I'm talking about yrs of use and not one of the 441's lasted more than a yr without major issues.
The 4 or 5 I've worked on came out of the woods and were just rattled apart. I still have 1 it's in a 5 gal. bucket owner said keep it when quoted the repair. He replaced it with a 461 and is very happy. That 461 is a solid saw. Ken

Latest posts

Back