Ironhorse

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have several saws ported by @huskihl. They are all fast/grunty, I’m happy with the port work on all them. I’ve also traveled to MI to his GTGs a couple times. I can vouch for his quality work, standing behind it, and just generally being a good guy. He’s too humble to say it, but his saws usually win the races I’ve participated in or seen…but rpm is not everything, I have also put his saws to work in big hard eucalyptus and they pull hard.

Kevin, I’d ignore this link fella, he seems a little off.
I agree 100%. Kevin is one of the good guys for sure.

I had one of his Dud 372's. The only thing I can say for the guy is he took it back and refunded my money.
DD? Most of his saws were over ported, here and there they were awesome.

Brad was tread pretty poorly by quit a few people and he was attacked by a mob, so he quit, plus he had major health problems.

BBR seemed like a decent person when I met him, no idea why he pushes IH, likely the free work, Billy knows little about porting. IH = 🤮 Anybody that sends a saw to that guy, well the man can barely speak, so I have no idea why everyone would send him anything.

Most don't understand how Youtube works subscribes don't mean much, it's all about watch hours, audience retention and recommendations. Youtube takes 30% of the value of each Superchat. A video with one million views will bring in between $3,000 to $5,000 and it will take most videos months to years to get that many views, most never get close, unless you're a huge Channel or the video goes viral for some reason.

I learned a lot from Ed EHP, but he was shady at times too, believe that.

I just don't have the ability to yap into a camera like a lot of the Youtube peeps do. It's not a knock against them, there are some that do it well, I'm just not interesting enough to hold a one-sided conversation.

On top of that, I'd never be able to grow a channel that much. Some people figure out the "algorithm" for a successful channel, but it also helps to have social media. I don't really do social media other than a few forums, but I think having an Instagram or even Fakebook is really important if you're going to build a "brand" of yourself. I'll probably get flak for this, but the audience you get from a forum such as this, is miniscule compared to instagram, fakebook, etc.
I used to do a podcast, and some YouTube stuff that this was exactly the issue I had. If I had a cohost on the podcast we could talk for hours and have it be interesting and fun to listen to. If I was by myself? 20 mins of crap.

The reason I asked is because most saws of the age that any true Pioneer is, were already pretty hot from the factory. They were not EPA restricted and a lot of honest builders will tell you that there is not much they can do with them unless you want to go full race radical.
Most of the OMC or Peterbourgh Manufacturered Pioneer saws Bill were strong out of the box , especially the reed valve models ! A little intake & exhaust port polishing or contour or chamfering rework would really wake them up . ;)

Most of the OMC or Peterbourgh Manufacturered Pioneer saws Bill were strong out of the box , especially the reed valve models ! A little intake & exhaust port polishing or contour or chamfering rework would really wake them up . ;)
I agree The reputable builders I know will tell you they simply is not much to do with them as they were well engineered from the factory. The same could be said for many of the others saws at the time.

DD? Most of his saws were over ported, here and there they were awesome.

Brad was tread pretty poorly by quit a few people and he was attacked by a mob, so he quit, plus he had major health problems.

BBR seemed like a decent person when I met him, no idea why he pushes IH, likely the free work, Billy knows little about porting. IH = 🤮 Anybody that sends a saw to that guy, well the man can barely speak, so I have no idea why everyone would send him anything.

Most don't understand how Youtube works subscribes don't mean much, it's all about watch hours, audience retention and recommendations. Youtube takes 30% of the value of each Superchat. A video with one million views will bring in between $3,000 to $5,000 and it will take most videos months to years to get that many views, most never get close, unless you're a huge Channel or the video goes viral for some reason.

I learned a lot from Ed EHP, but he was shady at times too, believe that.
Can you elaborate on the EHP quote?

FWIW the guy from O P E who Ironhorse stole his top end and replaced it with Chi com garbage was the victim of a pretty blatant attempt to steal Randy's port numbers...because he does know what the hell he was doing.
Another builder from PA did this to Ed Heard back in the day.. he was a crook too.
IH stole the cylinder for the port numbers

I agree The reputable builders I know will tell you they simply is not much to do with them as the were well engineered from the factory. The same could be said with many of the others saws at the time.
Once I tried tinkering with a farm saw which is very close to the p41. I raised the exhaust, gasket delete and husky 55 coil(I don't recall the numbers). Once started it runs good but it takes a lot of pulling to start it. Im far from who you want to get porting advise from. I still have a lot to learn. Just a weekend hack in training but wanted to share my experience with the old pioneers and porting.

What ever happened to muffler mods? A few years ago it was all the rave. Get out a drill and a bit and start at it. Once your muffler had a 1000 holes in it, would barely hold itself together, and was deafening loud, you were a hero on this forum. A bold intrepid pioneer of finding the lost EPA hidden power suppressed within the mighty chainsaw. What happened?

I used to do a podcast, and some YouTube stuff that this was exactly the issue I had. If I had a cohost on the podcast we could talk for hours and have it be interesting and fun to listen to. If I was by myself? 20 mins of crap.
My son has a TikTok channel with about 220,000 followers with spill over to YouTube... and a girl who clearly has a massive crush on him started a related TikTok fan channel. He's been recognized "on the street" and had some corporate sponsors approach him... He was at a tipping point where he either had to go full time into doing the TikTok/Pod Cast/YouTube thing or have a normal life... like a job with benefits and time to renovate his house. He choose the latter as being more important.

A retired school teacher from Lake Tahoe, who I met on my bicycle tour last summer, had students pulling in serious money. One girl was approached by a company about using one of her videos to advertise cosmetics. She had no idea what to "charge" so told them $1,000 as it sounded like a big number to her. Well... they agreed. What she didn't understand was they were going to pay her $1,000 every time the ad ran! She thought it was $1,000 period. She was making a ton of money as the ad was run repeatedly! It was also very distracting.... Other of her students were making a lot of money too. Long term is the question... skipping out on their education may cost them in myriad ways in the future when their influence no longer matters...

Apart from the fact that influencers kind of make me puke, personally I would advise anyone to stay as far away from Tiktok as possible... Social media are data sharks, with few people actually realising how much our information is actually worth (social media users are basically the product...), but when it's in Chinese hands, it's even worse, and not a bit...
It's by now firmly established that there's strong ties between Bytedance (the company behind Tiktok) and the Chinese government...

Sorry for the off topic :)

What ever happened to muffler mods? A few years ago it was all the rave. Get out a drill and a bit and start at it. Once your muffler had a 1000 holes in it, would barely hold itself together, and was deafening loud, you were a hero on this forum. A bold intrepid pioneer of finding the lost EPA hidden power suppressed within the mighty chainsaw. What happened?
You need to talk to the former
east coast hotsaws101 representative
Until hotsaws101 found out he was calling himself that.
Fabz aka blackcat performance
He offered strap on performance muffler kits
And RAZER CHAINS tm.llc
It was all in the muffler and chain he said 40% gains
That was until he got his first ported saw then it was all about porting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back