is 7/16 inch blaze rope ok for use as a split tail with a larger rope?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chrisdafer

chrisdafer

ArboristSite Lurker
I bought 21 feet of Yale blaze 7/16 from the clearance section to make a few split tails and a spare lanyard.

Yale Blaze and Bandit Lightweight Climbing Line

I want to make a split tail by just tying 4 feet onto a beaner with a triple fisherman's knot. This will be tied on to my 5/8 climb line with a blakes hitch.

I never used a split tail before but like the idea of using it with my climb line as a lanyard for getting around limbs.

How does this rope handle heat?

Will I have any problems using my friction hitch tied with rope smaller diameter than my climb line?

I have only been climbing for 3 months but I have worked for this company the last two years and I am picking it up fast. I have been using all of our main climbers gear to get a feel and now I'm starting to build my own setup.

bigchuck

bigchuck

Mostly a lurker
How does this rope handle heat?

Will I have any problems using my friction hitch tied with rope smaller diameter than my climb line?

Quick answer, and general, as I do not use that specific system:

Blaze, as you probably realize, is a regular climbing line, not one of the higher-tech cords often used to make eye-and-eye split tails and such. It will handle heat about like any climbing line, and right in the hitch, it could definitely start to glaze from a fast buzz out of a tree. The plus side, of course, is it will be very easy to replace.

No, you will not have a problem tying your hitch with a smaller-diameter line. Most split-tail systems utilize tails with smaller diameters than a standard climbing line. One caveat - depending on the specific line-tail-hitch combination you use, you may need to change the number of wraps in your hitch.

One thing you might consider is purchasing a length of bulk cord of a more heat-resistant type like Ice, Beeline (two of my favorites), HRC or something else and tying your tail with that.

Hope that helps.

chrisdafer

chrisdafer

ArboristSite Lurker
thanks for the advice. thats pretty much what i thought. I always come down pretty slow any ways and I wont use it when setting straps on the crane hook because those are always really long descents.

Bought the rope mostly for the 15 foot spare lanyard I will make. Just wanted to try split tail.

We climb on 5/8th's because thats what my boss buys us. I think he gets it because once we retire it from a climb line he can still use it for random light rigging. He is a tight wad. I don't mind it. Its real easy to grip when I use the hip thrust to ascend which I do a lot.

As for the hitch and wraps, Right now I use a Blakes hitch with one extra wrap (5 total) when I will be spending a lot of time on it. For quick tie in and drop out stuff, and going up on the crane to set a strap, I just use the old tautling climbing knot I was first taught. Its faster to tie.