Is AV fuel really better?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've been debating the issue of using AV fuel. A lot of guys here run it in their saws, but I've never really seen where it would benefit my saws.
I don't have any thing extreme with compression.
I know AV fuel will run cooler, but I don't have any heat issues. So is there any other benefit to using it? I've been told it will last longer, is this true?
Just want to get your opinions, before I decide yay or nay on this.

Thanks.

Wasting time to get it.
Breaking the law to run it in your saw.
Costs more with no real benefit.
Bragging rights because you cannot get pump gas to work in you equipment.

If any of these reasons sound good to you, go for it.

Make sure to run an oil mix that has to be ordered, shipped, and/or otherwise quested for or you will be wasting the AV gas.

Aviation Fuel

If you run a "search" here on A.F. you will find a number of threads and comments on the use of aviation fuel for chainsaws. There are those who claim that av-gas is the Holy Grail of fuels. But then I've seen some comments that av-gas can be harmful to a non-aviation engine.

I think that some people get confused by the very high octane rating of av-gas and by thinking: "...if its good enough for the FAA and airplanes, it must REALLY be good fuel".

It is my belief that a saw utilized in a manner consistent with the manufacturer's designs and intentions should follow the recommend fuel and lubricants. I feel fairly safe in stating that not a single saw manufacturer recommends 100+ octane aviation gas as an every-day chainsaw fuel.

I know that ethanol is a highly debated topic also. Many saw owners (and a few manufacturers) don't recommend using gasoline with ethanol. In many areas, that can be tough to do. Here in Texas, just about every gas station has the following label: "Contains Up To 10% Ethanol". I believe that some look to aviation fuel to avoid the ethanol "issue".

I use "premium" automobile gasoline and fully synthetic 2-stroke oil. I also use a gasoline stabilizer called PRI-G. This has always worked for me.

JQ

Now for the truth

Wasting time to get it.

Airport is right on the way to town

Wrong. You cannot run it in a registered vehicle because it's not subject to highway taxes.

It's about $1 more per gallon over premium and it doesn't go bad like pump gas and has higher octane. I have about 20 gallons in storage at all times to run saws, generators or other power equipment...just in case. I don't have to add Stabil or rotate it. It'll keep. I like that.

:monkey: Whatever....

If any of these reasons sound good to you, go for it.
Make sure to run an oil mix that has to be ordered, shipped, and/or otherwise quested for or you will be wasting the AV gas.

Use regular mix at 50:1. I have no idea where you came up with this garbage.

Banshee, every person has to decide if it's worth it. There are some who say that there can be lead build-up on piston tops on saws that are run daily over time. Don't know, might be. Is it better than pump gas? Depends on what you want out of a can of gas. I like the storage characteristics. I don't think it makes my saws run that much better.

Last edited:
I'm starting to get the feeling, I'd better get some popcorn ready. j/k

I'm kind of leaning towards not using it, but I always try to keep an open mind about things. Like I said I just don't see the benefit of it.
But I may try it for myself on a couple of saws and see if it's worth it.

I've run it for years and haven't had any problems that I could trace to the fuel. I ran 80/87 until it became impossible to get. Now it's 100LL.

I haven't had any problem with sparkplugs as long as my carb is set right and my mix is true.

It stores a lot better than mo-gas. A couple of times I ran short here at home and didn't have time to go to the airport so I just drained the fuel out of the J-3 or the Stearman. Sometimes they sit for a month or more without running or having been refueled.

The price difference isn't much if you remember that the quality control on av-gas is very high. You're sure of what you're getting as far as purity and octane.

Finding a source might be a problem. A lot of the bigger airports don't want people with five gallon gas cans wandering around the fueling areas.:) Try callng some of the smaller airports...they'd be more likely to help you. If you're near any ag-flying outfits, and they haven't gone to turbine engines, try them too.

I'm starting to get the feeling, I'd better get some popcorn ready. j/k

I'm kind of leaning towards not using it, but I always try to keep an open mind about things. Like I said I just don't see the benefit of it.
But I may try it for myself on a couple of saws and see if it's worth it.

Lots of popcorn. Better get an aluminum foil hat and waders as well because it might start raining wacko crap from the sky.

There is no good reason for the average person, in a typical location to use AV gas in a saw.

Lead, I forgot lead. Figures I worked at an airport for a while and my exposure to lead ... what was I typing. Oh, yah, if unnecessary exposure to lead is what you are after then AV gas is what you want.

See if you guys had Aspen alkylate petrol you wouldn't be having this discussion.
And whats more if you had the premixed stuff you wouldn't need any oil threads ;)

The motorcycle mechanic down the street puts av gas in all the machines that leave the shop and has been doing so fo 20 years or better with NO problems. First of all, AV gas has a shelf life of 2 years. Most people around here forget that they left the gas in their equipment and it ruins the carb but with av gas that problem is cured. At my shop we reccomend Av gas to every saw and equipment buyer. I have had nothing but positive feedback from all of those customers (at least 50 people). AV gas is much better than the alternative: gas with ethonal:dizzy:

As mentioned, I like that I can leave the fuel in my saws and not have to drain them if they are going to sit for a month between use.

Less hassle and tastes great!!:)

The motorcycle mechanic down the street puts av gas in all the machines that leave the shop and has been doing so fo 20 years or better with NO problems. First of all, AV gas has a shelf life of 2 years. Most people around here forget that they left the gas in their equipment and it ruins the carb but with av gas that problem is cured. At my shop we reccomend Av gas to every saw and equipment buyer. I have had nothing but positive feedback from all of those customers (at least 50 people). AV gas is much better than the alternative: gas with ethonal:dizzy:

so thats what happened to all those Dolmar saws !! :popcorn:

Qulaity control is paramount with AvGas, not power... most aero engines have alarmingly low specific outputs. example: Cessna 152, Continental engine iirc: 4 litres, 100 bhp, 25 bhp/litre. My Toyota makes 178 bhp from 2 litres for 89 bhp/litre and runs on any old supermarket fuel. As for the octane rating, knock and detonation has never been flagged up as anything other than a problem associated with lean running in all the time I've been mucking about with small engines. I'd imagine you'd melt the piston before it became a problem.

My 266SE makes 4 bhp from 65ccs for 60 bhp/litre, if I've got the right figures, which isn't bad.

I notice AvGas smells nicer, rather like Coleman camping fuel, while cheap petrol smells like pickled onions. So if you like the smell go for it.

Wasting time to get it.

The closest gas to me is actually a small airpark. It's self serve. (unlike regular gas stations here.)

Please cite the specific statute that applies.

Wow that extra $1/gallon really breaks the budget!! The benefit is a little insurance against stale fuel and the detrimental effects of ethanol.

Good idea. Get's get some T-shirts and decals made up.

Last edited:
I use it, the pump gas we get here is generally crap and doesn't last. I do a heap of cutting/milling then my saws may sit for a while so shelf life is important.
I mix it 50/50 with 91 octane which seems to be what the saws like so thats good enough for me. also burns alot cleaner than pump gas which is good

I use it in all of my saws and everything else that I own that is two-cycle. To me it's worth the extra money to not have to worry about how old the fuel is in the saws I don't run often.... and with close to 70 saws, that can be a big job!

I've never had any problems with it. I love the stuff. :clap:

Avgas

I'll bet that the guys who warn against using it are the same guys who have never tried it. Avgas lasts forever, runs great and isn't hard on rubber components.

I was wondering about this since every gas station around here now only carry fuel that is "up to 10% Ethanol" in the mix and now my MS361 doesn't run as good as it used to and seems to bog down easier that it ever did before the ethanol showed up.

I run 91 Octane fuel, but it does contain ethanol and I don't like how it runs in my 2 cycle engines.

Continuing to poke bears in the eye. Bored, I am.

What is the country of origin for Tetra-Ethel Lead? TEL.

AvGas users, do you think you might be unnecessarily "selling the country down the river." Hopefully Wal-SMart will start selling it and then you will be all set.

Coming soon to WalSmarts across the country, Vise-Grips with extra TEL for better gripping of vises. Those pliers will not Knock, or go stale in the unused tool box for years.

Have fun just keep the young ones away from the TEL and anything the fumes and liquid get on.

Low Lead=Clean Coal

Have fun just keep the young ones away from the TEL and anything the fumes and liquid get on.

Yes, all those airplanes buzzing away in the skies are covering the planet with "TEL". Did you ever see Pussie Galore in Goldfinger when they poisoned the area around Ft. Knox. That's what it must be like going outside these days.
:clap:

Last edited:
Back