IS BBR the best logger you've ever seen?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slabMan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is Buck n Billy the best logger in PNW? [lol] What do the pro's have to say about his skillset as a logger/faller/Bucker? I'd be interested to hear what they have to say and perhaps critique/compliment his techniques [nevermind his long- winded vids!]. Be safe!

He is a good tree cutter. He is smooth on a power saw and knows how to layout the proper sequence of dropping trees. I'm sure he was a good logger too, but his video aren't really logging videos, they're cutting video.

He's overall a good guy and dosen't really have a lot of drama in his life, which makes his channel watchable.

The part I don't like is the preachy parts. But I can turn off the video for that.

Overall, i must say I have learned a few things from the guy, so it's a net benefit for me.

Caveat...I don't really watch much of his video, but I do like when he busts out the old vintage stuff.

"Preachy" and he seems to have ADD, because he seems to make a 5 minute video into 30 bouncing all over the topics, he is smooth and is good at reading where his compression and the 'physics' of where to buck. He didnt like the ms661 however-as it was 'too heavy'...come on BBR--work those guns! He kills me with how many times he 'handles the wood' before it sees his fireplace! lol It is good to hear professionals [Old growth and big second logging] give their take.

Is Buck n Billy the best logger in PNW? [lol] What do the pro's have to say about his skillset as a logger/faller/Bucker? I'd be interested to hear what they have to say and perhaps critique/compliment his techniques [nevermind his long- winded vids!]. Be safe!
he's alright, better then most, hard to say who the "best" is but I've seen a whole lot of terrible "loggers" especially since buying the self loather, and I've cut with guys that are better then me by far, (and bees scared still working with guys that shouldn't be near any power equipment)
the Litmus test, would I cut with Buckin, yeah, and I'd probably learn a thing or two doing so, not many I would cut with
Yer right though he does tend to ramble on which is fine but not my thing at all so stopped watchin his vids.

I thought that guy out of Arlington who was on with 'Guilty of treason' kid...I forget his name...[thinking... Thuline logging, that is it. He seemed professional, and was efficient...

I thought that guy out of Arlington who was on with 'Guilty of treason' kid...I forget his name...[thinking... Thuline logging, that is it. He seemed professional, and was efficient...
the treeson guys posted a vid all about the who's and whats of different face cuts, and I was out... so? if there was a dude in Arlingtown that can cut that would be news to me, bunch of tit pullers up there lol, gotta head up 530 to find any decent cutters Shortly after the face cuts vid, they parked a crane on a spensive McMansion down in Itchysqaw, and frankly I wasn't surprised. (pretty sure I picked logs up after that crane operator, like 2 weeks before the house incident...) To be fair, I find a lot of the tree service type vids pointlessly complicated and drawn out... so don't hold what I say about Guilty of treesinning too high. Like a lot of tree services I feel that things get overly technical so they can justify what they are charging.
The HOTSAWS guy seems to be good and is one of the few loggers that knows the original Humbolt face cut [called gap face now, I think] vs what they call Humbolt now [modified Humbolt].
Hotsaws101 is a skookum cutter fer sure, look into Dangercat(his I'm doing something ill advised channel) Learned a bunch from him when I got serious about cutting timber.
TarzanThomas is a pretty good channel too, though he's switched over to more tree service type stuff he still gets a few clearing projects now and then.

https://www.thulinetimberco.com/ Seems like a good outfit company--
And yes, the vid from treeson had that good dude "inbred jed" [who recently got killed by a tree gig] had some good tips, but that was too bad--We might have to say Northman is better than BBR. BBr needs a dump on one of those old fords before he puts that pulp hook thru his back window! lmao

Never watched him. What is your definition of "logger"? There are some damn good ones, and my definition would be one who hires good fallers, good rigging crew or skidder operators, and makes the land owner happy with the results. It isn't just "dropping" trees.

I think those people don't make youtube videos.

BBR's showmanship and positivity make his YT channel successful entertainment. He's a good cutter, not a logger. Logger is the manager.

I was talking about the 'logger who falls, bucks'...And my definition of a good logger is one who can methodically survey each tree [because as we know 'every tree is different'] and one who can manipulate the tree to go where he wants it to IE swinging dm, scarf, snipes, etc and doing it in a SAFE fashion. The rigging guys are bad asses and the managerial role of your definition of logger also are bad asses but I am speaking mainly of what they would call the Chief Faller, Foreman, etc. that gets in the trenches [as they say] and gets it done with a second nature [smoothness] and more importantly, EFFICIENCY! Because any logger can be 'methodical' all day on one tree, but the good ones efficiently knock them out and as every business owner knows, efficiency is HUGE $$ wise!

I was talking about the 'logger who falls, bucks'...And my definition of a good logger is one who can methodically survey each tree [because as we know 'every tree is different'] and one who can manipulate the tree to go where he wants it to IE swinging dm, scarf, snipes, etc and doing it in a SAFE fashion. The rigging guys are bad asses and the managerial role of your definition of logger also are bad asses but I am speaking mainly of what they would call the Chief Faller, Foreman, etc. that gets in the trenches [as they say] and gets it done with a second nature [smoothness] and more importantly, EFFICIENCY! Because any logger can be 'methodical' all day on one tree, but the good ones efficiently knock them out and as every business owner knows, efficiency is HUGE $$ wise!
I know what you mean it was just my kinda off humor. I did alot of sawyer work in my glory years. I was never even close to being super proficient but my employers never complained. I like watching chainsaw competitions, my favorite by far.

They aren't "bad asses". Where do you get that idea? They are people, and some are even women, who get trees on the ground and to the landing then on trucks.

The "chief faller" is the bull buck, then there is the hooktender, who handles the rigging, then there is the gypo who is a small operator and may hire folks to work, and then there are bigger outfits.

No faller in this day and age has spent all day on one tree. Where'd that idea come from.

It isn't Axemen and Youtube. The real thing can't be edited, and when going smoothly, would put you to sleep. What is the end result? Are there ruts left by careless operators working when they shouldn't? Bunged up leave trees? Garbage on the landing? Logs disappearing? Those things matter, plus more. These days, logging can get pretty complex. It takes some know how to figure it out.

In fact, some of the rigging crews were more boy like. That's an entry position. I talked them into slathering nicely perfumed Skin So Soft on to repel the flies and skeeters. I don't think it repelled the flies too well, but the guys smelled better and the ride home might have been more pleasant for them.

Back