Is it Cherry?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcappe

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Sorry for another what is this thread, just trying to get an idea of what is what. I appreciate all the help. :cheers:

Tree1.jpg

tree2.jpg

Ok here is another question, This tree was still standing no limbs or branches for probably twenty foot, the tree looked healthy but what limbs and branches it did have were pretty well dead? Did it just have some sort of disease or borer get to it?

Yep.. thats cherry. Almost looked like a good saw log. Whelp I guess its firewood now.

Yeah, I was thinking that as well. Nice black Cherry such as that, would get me skinned alive on my wives uncles land by both my wives uncle and my bro inlaw (take all the slab you want Mark after we're done with the logs, just leave the straight logs for us ;)).

They almost skinned me alive a few weeks ago when I was cutting up a 35' 20" diameter oak tree :p Until I showed them where there was a big knot in the middle about 3ft coverage and I was cutting it out, limbing the rest of the log and latex painting the cuts and getting the thing off the ground for them ;) It was a close call, was about to get skinned.

Tes

Oh you are just killing me; change that to a veneer or #1 saw log.

I've never really thought about selling stuff like that, maybe I should? What does something like that bring? I do have a friend that has a small mill that he tinkers with his own stuff, (milled some of the wood for his new house) I have a big black walnut that blew over last year, I want him to make me a bar top out of it and I'll probably cut the rest up for firewood.

If that was a black cherry veneer saw log 20ft long, depending on diameter and market prices, you might have just cut up $3000 worth of fire wood.

If that was a black cherry veneer saw log 20ft long, depending on diameter and market prices, you might have just cut up $3000 worth of fire wood.

:jawdrop: What????? holy shnit, that would of almost made the land payment for the year. If that is the case I need to get someone in there and look at some trees. That almost makes me sick, I was thinking you were going to say a couple hundy maybe.... the tree was about 20" DBH going by my 20" bar on my saw.

Last edited:
Cherry and oak, especially veneer grade logs fetch huge money per board ft but it is all linked to market conditions. We sold two veneer grade oak logs last year both about the same size. One fetched 1200 the other went for almost 1800 as the market was higher. Something about China was into buying wood. Prices fall dramatically on #1 and #2 logs but they still fetch better money than firewood. Pine is always real iffy. Early last year they were buying and about mid-summer, no more pine. Stunk for us cuz we has some beautiful white pine without a knot in it. Almost broke my heart to cut it into fire wood. Might not be a bad idea to get a forestry plan into place for your property. A good forester can mark and show you what to keep, what to remove to allow better growth and when to select cut for best market conditions.

No maul yesterday, didn't get back home until about 3:30 and I wanted to split and stack it by dark so I broke out the hydraulic horse.

I love to split cherry w/ the maul, about as easy of wood to split as any...God knows I could use the exercise...

Who's buying small amounts??

I'm burning LOTS of Cherry saw logs because prices are so low, no one wants to deal with 8-12 Logs.

I could use the $$$$ but need the firewood.

Am on the way out the door to drop a couple 16-24" DBH cherrys this afternoon, and have several already down waiting ti be skidded out when we get a thaw.

Thanks!!
Dingeryote

3k eh? are you talking american dollers?

and since that was worth 3000 USD (which it wasnt) that must explain why all the loggers are rich (which they arnt) and still in business (90% around here have went bankrupt)

and back when they were buying timber around here, that was ~30 dollar log....

Maybe you just didnt put a decimal point in your inital figure. 30.00 instead of 3000.

Or maybe your market is better. heck for that price i'll truck em to your local saw mill ;)

Timber cutters around here are disappearing as well. Many of them purchased standing timber in 2007 for harvest in 2008 and lost alot of money when the prices plummeted. I know one fellow who sold his timber and then the logger went out of business before he cut the trees. The landowner got paid at the time of sale but still has the trees and he is well past the time the logger agreed in the contract to have the trees out. Hes waiting to see what will happen in case the company was bought out by someone, but he is also starting to hope that he might be able to sell the logs a second time!

Latest posts

Back