Is it possible to run .325 on an 038AV???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello
Take a look at this ebay auction

While you should not need the entire clutch it does show the rim sprocket. The ring at the left bottom of the picture is the sprocket that you can change to 325.
The IPL lists a conversion kit for spur sprocket to a rim style but it only lists it for 3/8".

Regards

Phil

What .325 rims can be used will depend on the size of the splined hub on the clutch drum.

If it is a "Mini" (only used by Stihl) or "Small", you can find 7- and 8-pin rims in .325 for it.

If it is a "Medium", you can find a .325x9, but the smaller ones are not possible, as they wouldn't leave room for the larger hub.

3/8x7 is made for both sizes, while larger ones are common only for the larger one (the "Medium").

Great info Saw Troll. And Phil thanks for checking. I have everything I need now to make this work. I just got the drum and rim setup for 3/8 and then A 9 pin rim in .325 the 3/8 rim will be put aside for now. AS I just purchased 3 new bars in .325 and some new chains about a month ago.:newbie: so I have a 24 inch that will be going on the 038. Bad timing I guess if only I had stumbled on to the 038 a month earlier. Oh well. I can assure everyone that I will be changing over to 3/8 when my wallet allows it. Never ran 3/8 so I never new what I was missing.

If it is a "Medium", you can find a .325x9, but the smaller ones are not possible, as they wouldn't leave room for the larger hub.
3/8x7 is made for both sizes, while larger ones are common only for the larger one (the "Medium").

The rim sprocket on my 038 is a medium or standard type with the 7 tooth spline.

stihl smilen
What groove width are your new bars? Widths for .325 are .050, .058 and .063. 3/8 chain is also available in the same widths. If your bars are duromatics or hard nose bars then you will be able to use the 3/8 chain on them.

Regards

Phil

Great info Saw Troll. And Phil thanks for checking. I have everything I need now to make this work. I just got the drum and rim setup for 3/8 and then A 9 pin rim in .325 the 3/8 rim will be put aside for now. AS I just purchased 3 new bars in .325 and some new chains about a month ago.:newbie: so I have a 24 inch that will be going on the 038. Bad timing I guess if only I had stumbled on to the 038 a month earlier. Oh well. I can assure everyone that I will be changing over to 3/8 when my wallet allows it. Never ran 3/8 so I never new what I was missing.

I am not sure that a 9-pin .325 is a good choise on the saw, but there is only one way to find out! :)

Also, a 9-pin may mean that you need one dl extra in the chain.

Last edited:
I think it should be fine with 9 pin 325, it works well on the 361. However, I have found it better to trim the bar heal a bit rather than add a drive link. adding a full extra driver often makes the chain too long and with the narrow tail on most .325 bars there is a little support for the chain with lots of gap between the bar and the bigger rim making it easier to derail.

Thanks Phil. The bars I bought are Forester by AEI They are not Hard nosed .063 .325 sprocket so i'm afraid thats out, Great thought!. Why so many choices in drive width on 3/8? I suppose there is a best use situation for all the different thickness's. would there be any disadvantage using 3/8 in .063 rather than.050 drive width on my saws? Just wondering for future reference when I do make the switch. Thoughts? Thanks.

Last edited:
Back