Is it something I said?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ulyssesjones

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I usually don't buy wood because I just cut my own. But I have been working out of state a lot over the last year and don't have enough for this winter. So I thought I should just buy a few cords. Well, I have called or emailed several people in my area of CT who are advertising wood. Not one of them as returned a phone call or an email. Do these people actually want to make money? I can't figure it out. Perhaps they are just waiting until it gets colder so they can charge more. Why advertise if you don't actually want the business?

Anyway, if anyone knows of a decent price on cord wood in north eastern CT (Mansfield) please let me know. I will also take log length if it would be ready to burn this year.

Grumble, grumble.....

-Jones

Jones, you may be right about the price thing - But, it doesn't seem as scary as back in mid July when oil was 147. Dropped to 94.00 today.

funny how the gasoline prices don't fall as fast as the oil drops.....but they sure are quick to rise as the price of oil rises.

Around here....... i see people selling wood have a real shortage. I know people who have bought firewood from the same seller for years..... seller sold out of wood to sell, back in early July. I'm suspecting the people you have contacted have none to sell.

Around here....... i see people selling wood have a real shortage. I know people who have bought firewood from the same seller for years..... seller sold out of wood to sell, back in early July. I'm suspecting the people you have contacted have none to sell.

I think you are bang on. I normally sell wood all year round. Last winter was bad/summer wet/price of oil high this = high demand and low supply of firewood. My phone satrted ringing in april and has not stopped. Guys who sell wood to make money also take care of their regulars first. I don't think I can even do that this year. Guys who cut normally cut their own are usually shocked when they find out what the price for quality retail cord wood is right now.

I am selling for the first time this year. Got too much in my piles and need to trim it. First sale of 3 cord (may want a 4th) went out today...well last load goes in the mornong.

Then this evening I got a call from a guy I really don't want to sell to. He knows nothing about firewood, college student, on the 'community action center heating aid list'.

Firsst he didn't know how much wood is a cord, was only interested in the price per load with no clue as to how much a 'load' was. Says has an airtight but then later it is an insert 'with doors that can be closed'...hmmm...sounds like one of those old franklin inserts that have no real. control over draft. Then says he can't take any until the 15th of the month and wants _me_ to call _him_.

Told him he can call me when ready and I will give him some of my willow gratis to try before buying. Willow does sorta o.k. in an airtight but ....

Harry K

Latest posts

Back