Is it Spring yet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gologit

Completely retired...life is good.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I went up above Pollock Pines early this morning to do a little falling job. I spent part of the day with dust blowing in my eyes. And snow falling on my head. At the same time ! In the morning the skid Cats were buried in dust and we had a water truck going on the roads. By noon it was raining and snowing so hard that all the trucks had to be pushed out. I-80 over Donner Summit was closed due to snow and the northern Sacramento Valley had tornado warnings.

Any of you other Left Coast guys, and gals, having weird weather?

What's a normal spring?

It has been a wet and woolly spring..It's great! We have water again where there was always water before. Last spring was wet also, we had mills running out of logs waiting for logs to run, this year everyone has logs decked up. We loaded trucks late yesterday and cleaned out the landings, they will be yarding but not able to haul for a couple days. Last week was the same. What's normal? I think you mean over here by left coast, we border the ocean. I have been snowed on in you're country July 4th week and we had over a foot of snow.

Had a tentative camping trip planned for the holiday weekend (at about 5000 ft elev) but with the forecast calling for 1-3" of snow above 3500 ft tonight and the highs not exceeding 50 degrees, I'm gonna go ahead and concede that one... I have heard people saying that we aren't expected to have consistent, nice weather until July. Down here in the valley our forecast looks like rain and highs of mid 40's-low 50's for the foreseeable future.

Barn Swallows been here for a week, it's Spring regardless of weather. Our "slight chance" of rain last night was worth 3/4", rain off and on for rest of week. Weeds are going crazy.

Spring? Is that part of the trucks suspension?

Nice day here, mid 70's.

Went with my youngest son to look for turkey's, elk and deer.

Clouds rolled in, and the wind was blowing so hard we had to lean against fence posts to use the bino's.

Spring? Please explain what spring is.....

Yep, here too. We got started in Feb on one side, had snow but it was workable, then our low blocks ran out in April. They pushed the roads open into our higher blocks, the snow on the high side of the bank where it was cut was over my head............I'm 6'2"!!! Needless to say we went home. Got going a couple weeks ago again, but it's been tough slogging, just getting up to full speed here this week. Now we're so far behind, the push is on already! We've got 3 yarders and 4 hoe chuckers sitting waiting for wood! Ah....gotta love logging! I think.

The weather here has been, until a week or so ago, pretty cold but the reall crapper is the extreme amount of flooding we're having and it really hasn't melted a whole lot in the mountains so it's gonna get a lot worse

I'm working a landing all this week and maybe into next week. I started in a t-shirt in the sun and by 10:00 it was raining. By 2:00 I was in a sweatshirt and soaked. The loader operator had to climb down and walk around to warm up. He said he felt like a popsicle. By 5:30 it was sunny again.

I think spring rains are slipperyer than winter rains. Thank goodness for boot driers.

Rolled into Weed, CA, this afternoon and it was snowing on I-5. 3500 ft, yeah, I guess? It was near 80 in Placerville yesterday. Sunday in Olympia, WA it was 60-ish with periodic heavy rain, but it broke 70 for the first time on Saturday. Monday it was one big squall line all the way from Tacoma to Sacramento. Can't say as I understand any of it.

It has been a wet and woolly spring..It's great! We have water again where there was always water before. Last spring was wet also, we had mills running out of logs waiting for logs to run, this year everyone has logs decked up. We loaded trucks late yesterday and cleaned out the landings, they will be yarding but not able to haul for a couple days. Last week was the same. What's normal? I think you mean over here by left coast, we border the ocean. I have been snowed on in you're country July 4th week and we had over a foot of snow.

We're doing the same thing. There are decks everywhere but we need a good spell of dry weather to get them to town. We're having to pull our fuel wagons out to the pavement with a Cat when the tanker shows up.

I talked to one of our drivers yesterday. He said that last year in May he missed eight days because of weather. This year he's only worked eight days in May.

On the upside, all of our lakes are clear full, the guys who haul rock for the roads are staying busy, and we probably won't have to worry about going hoot-owl for awhile.

Yep, here too. We got started in Feb on one side, had snow but it was workable, then our low blocks ran out in April. They pushed the roads open into our higher blocks, the snow on the high side of the bank where it was cut was over my head............I'm 6'2"!!! Needless to say we went home. Got going a couple weeks ago again, but it's been tough slogging, just getting up to full speed here this week. Now we're so far behind, the push is on already! We've got 3 yarders and 4 hoe chuckers sitting waiting for wood! Ah....gotta love logging! I think.
It might be a good thing, excluding the lack of income, starve the wood market awhile to raise its price and increase demand.

The good news is: The sun is out.

The bad news is: I've got a fire going in the woodstove.

Memorial Day weekend is a notorious time for unstable/cold weather.
In my young and stupid days, I went on a hike with friends. We kept on through sun/snow/rain/sun and climbed a 7000? foot peak in a total white out. I did not have rain gear along, but had a coat, hat and mittens. The rest of our party was similarly unprepared. The girl from SOUTHERN CA only had a down vest for an outer layer. She began shivering hard on the way down. I donated my hat and gloves and coat as I am a PNWer and keep warm when I move. We got her back to camp and poured hot tea and soup down her while she was wrapped up in a sleeping bag and got her back to normal.

In the morning, there was 8 inches of new snow on the ground, our boots were frozen, as was our water bottles. Our three day hike was ended and we hustled back to the cars.

That was on Memorial Day weekend, in 1970 something.

Total crazy weather. Fired up the wood stove when I got home from work yesterday. Temps in the Seattle/Tacoma area(in all of western Wa.) are still running 10+ degrees below normal. Still deep snow even on our low pass( 3,300 ft)

Bob, seemed like I got 100 buckets of water dumped on my head, then snow thrown in my face today. Interesting Spring here too......Awesome.....Sam

Yucky here today, lower 50s, a 20 knot breeze, rain, forecast for more of the same. Sunday is looking better, then it comes back.
Did I mention the weeds?

Enjoy it while you've got it, we've had low 90's the last few days after last weeks epic mid 50's. Hoping for a few more weeks in upper 70's low 80s before the heat sinks in. I'd much prefer 50's and drizzle, but who wouldn't.

Latest posts

Back