Is the Stihl 090 still made in Brazil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How easy is one of the made in China knock off 070 / 090 to be sold as a genuine Stihl 070 / 090?

Is there a distince way of telling the two apart (original vs knock off)?

Thanks

As far as I followed the story, there always were ways to tell them apart - but I don't remember the details.

OK. The challenge is hereby accepted. The only reason I have not jumped on this is because I have firewood orders backed up to Ying Ying. Demand for firewood is huge because of unprecedented wind chills, even though snow has been minimal.

Now reaching for dormant Stihl 090...

Well, those saws are not likely to speed up production anyway, real or fake! ;)

OK. The challenge is hereby accepted. The only reason I have not jumped on this is because I have firewood orders backed up to Ying Ying. Demand for firewood is huge because of unprecedented wind chills, even though snow has been minimal.

Now reaching for dormant Stihl 090...

You still have firewood to sell? I've been reading that most people in the MW & NE sold out a week ago with propane and NG going through the roof.

Firewood! Thats last thing on my mind!! It's 40*C here thats about 100*F, will you start your own build thread?.......I have a spare set of new genuine Stihl 090 rings i can pitch in for free if that helps, just PM me your details.........I'm feeling generous, this heat must be getting to me!

What Stihl web sites? I cruise the ones in Brazil, NZ, Oz, ZA, Germany, the UK regularly and they are not any 090s listed there.

The MS720 turned up on some Middle American websites a few years ago, not on the ones you mentioned, while the 070 still was listed in at least Mexico.

I haven't seen the 090 listed anywhere in a long time, but that may well be because it only is (or was) sold in a few markets that doesn't have a Stihl website - maybe Indonesia and/or the Phillipines?

Frankly, I don't understand why anyone is interested in new production ones anyway (as apposed to collectible ones) - but each to their own....

Last edited:
I've got another Brazil trip coming up in the next month or two. Anything else cool down there I should be looking for? I brought back a machete last trip. Far cry from a chain saw but same purpose. Wood cutting tool...

Several guys have been combing Brazil lately for 090 saws, but none have been found. A few were said to be in Oz up to about a year ago, but none seen there of late.

No 070s listed in Mexico. They have 361s there though. And 381s, and 780s. The 780 has 121.6cc, and 7.5 HP. A de-tuned 880?

The last new 090 i seen here was in 2005, the owner bought the saw in via New Guinea, as these saws do not meet Australian design rules (No chain brake) they haven't been available here for some time.

Well, supposedly, stihl still makes the parts? If so, theoretically, and it would be expensive no doubt, just buy all the parts and put one together.

Well, supposedly, stihl still makes the parts? If so, theoretically, and it would be expensive no doubt, just buy all the parts and put one together.

I've purchased quite a few random parts for an 090 direct OEM from Stihl. Not including the "G" or "AV" models I haven't found a part yet that's not still available. Would be interesting to know what the total would cost if built up from parts at retail. You'd be in ~$600 for just the crank & top end!

Several guys have been combing Brazil lately for 090 saws, but none have been found. A few were said to be in Oz up to about a year ago, but none seen there of late.

I can confirm that the 090 was listed at an Australian website as late as a year or two ago, but it wasn't on the official Stihl website. The listed price was around 1000 Aussie dollars higher than for the MS880.

Actually I have never seen any evidense or strong indications that the 070 or 090 ever was made in Brazil, but it may well have happened anyway. I know they were still made in Germany by 2005 - but that is the latest firm knowledge I have.

Brazil production Stihl saws are murky. They are making the 361 there now. I presume they make the 381 there as well, and likely the 780.
Is there a first number SN designation for Brazil saws, like there are for 1 for Germany and 2 for Virginia, USA? Is there a designation number for China?

I managed to wade through the Stihl China web page, and the 070/090 saws are not even listed there. It shows the 170, 180, 192T, 211, 230, 250, 361, 381, 440, & 660 on the China Stihl site.

You still have firewood to sell? I've been reading that most people in the MW & NE sold out a week ago with propane and NG going through the roof.
That includes me. It took three weeks of hard work to replenish my supply for customers and the firewood orders keep coming in. A Stihl 090 would not even begin to help me fulfill those orders. A top-handle 192 would be more productive that an 090 elephant.

On the other hand, I used my MS361 to fill my truck with dry rounds that I can split and deliver now. Each truckload that I deliver for $110 would now cost about $500 in propane for the same amount of heat.

View attachment 318000 I think the MS 720 is about as close to a 'new' 090 as you can get now days!

Bennn*e has one of those new in his shed still boxed. The MS720 part number is still listed by Stihl Australia but not available over the counter due to a lack of safety features. Bennn*e is a Stihl dealer which helped him get his mitts on one. German made too if I remember correctly.

windthrown l'm down under and while l don't stick my neck in every stihl dealership, i've yet to see any for sale new. MMMM a new 090 would be nice....although as you stated it would be pretty pricy if there was. l think a new ms 880 is around two & a half gorillas:eek:. Geelong stihl tried to charge me $33 for a carlton rim sprocket a few weeks back. l don't go to the dealerships much unless l HAVE to, they are just to dear. lts almost funny. lt annoys the heck out of me that l send so much money offshore because l'd like to support local jobs and businesses but would you pay $33 for a rim sprocket or $1250 for a ms261 or $59 for 4lt of bloody bar oil. l could go on and on. The only thing the steal dealers over here don't have is a gun and mask! lol

Back