Is the Stihl 090 still made in Brazil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geelong stihl tried to charge me $33 for a carlton rim sprocket a few weeks back.

That is a serious rip off. The RRP on a Stihl made rim is only about $19.

Oh and the 090's haven't been sold for ages by Stihl Australia as they don't meet safety legislation.

l don't go to the dealerships much unless l HAVE to, they are just to dear. lts almost funny. lt annoys the heck out of me that l send so much money offshore because l'd like to support local jobs and businesses but would you pay $33 for a rim sprocket or $1250 for a ms261 or $59 for 4lt of bloody bar oil. l could go on and on. The only thing the steal dealers over here don't have is a gun and mask! lol

Yah, I hear yah mate. When the Aussie dollar was $1.10 US, I was shipping a lot of grey market saws down under. But there were also better saws available here then, like the MS200T, the 372xp pre-smog, and the MS361. The saw world is so global now though that I am not sure when the money goes. Virginia? Germany? No sales tax here, but business taxes are really high in this state. I buy stuff online because it is usually cheaper than Stihl, even for OEM parts. I buy Elf premix for $10 a liter at a motorcycle shop, and I use Canola bar oil now that I get at the grocery store (less than $10 a gallon). Better than Stihl oil in my book, and far cheaper.

Brazil production Stihl saws are murky. They are making the 361 there now. I presume they make the 381 there as well, and likely the 780.
Is there a first number SN designation for Brazil saws, like there are for 1 for Germany and 2 for Virginia, USA? Is there a designation number for China? .....

Yes, there is - Brazil is 3 and China 4, see attachment.

Attachments

• Machine Number Locations[1].pdf
    84.1 KB · Views: 25
Yes, there is - Brazil is 3 and China 4, see attachment.

Very nice. 1,000 rep points for that post. Sadly I cannot do that here any more, so you get only one thumbs up. I always wanted to know where different serial numbers were on these saws. I never found the one on my 211, and logged the bar code sticker (same number). Now I see it there on the front of the plastic case. I keep all my saw SN written down in case they get stolen. My only reason for not letting my CAD go any farther. Fear of theft.

Yes but I wonder if 4 is related to the 090 being produced in China ?? I know other products in the Stihl range are

Officially the 090 is not being made in China by Stihl any more, and no Stihl sites list it for sale anywhere globally. There are no copywrite or patent rights that hold up in China though. So the knock-offs regularly get knocked off there. Likely all the 090s are now non-official saws. There are so many 361 clones coming out of there it is ridiculous. On another forum, TBone built a Chicom 361 from a real 361 carcass and 361 parts from China. He says it runs good! Cost him $200. It is being tested now.

I wonder if they bother to clone the SN? Most 090 clones do not have Stihl printed on the side covers.

Hardly - as far as I know, the "1106 series" saws made is China are fakes/copies, and not Stihl products.
Troll, the one I am working on now to restore shows on the pull cord housing that it was made in West Germany. It's filthy as a witch and has a locked up piston, so should I continue to restore it? I've never seen such a mess.

Troll, the one I am working on now to restore shows on the pull cord housing that it was made in West Germany. It's filthy as a witch and has a locked up piston, so should I continue to restore it? I've never seen such a mess.

Probably a real one, if its that old. West Germany has not been put on saws for a long time now. Troll is talking about any new or recently made 090s on the market now. If you find the serial number, it should begin with a '1'.

Probably a real one, if its that old. West Germany has not been put on saws for a long time now. Troll is talking about any new or recently made 090s on the market now. If you find the serial number, it should begin with a '1'.

Yes, and you can get an approximate vintage based on the number of digits in the serial number. If your 090 has 7 digits in the serial number it was produced before 1980 - if it has 9 digits it was produced in 1980 or later.

Excuse me for butting in Mr Troll.......Wood Dr, whats the cylinder bore looking like? Any chance of some pic's? I believe Stihl used four different motifs on the 090 starters during it's production run.

It's almost certainly restorable. Go slow, throw some diesel in there for a week, draini it, mix some diesel with oil, pour that in there, shake it every day, have patience, put it somewhere warm. Flood the crank case with the same mixture, shake it around. Let it do its work. Unbolt the cylinder studs after a couple weeks of this, and gently try rotating the cylinder. If it doesn't rotate, bolt it back up and drain the mix and refill, go back to shaking daily. When it does finally break free, get on to the bore and piston with some fine steel wool and the same mix, then assess the damage and post up pics here for further advice. It's been sitting a long time, another week or 4 won't make any difference. The cylinder and piston are worth $$$.

FWIW, i had a fillipino friend in the phillipines call around the stihl dealers over there last year, I mean seriously call around. Like every minor dealer in the outlying islands. All said the same thing "yeah have some used, no more new ones available". It didn't sound like the used ones had been lightly used. These are working tools in those countries still. I didn't get a chance to follow up in other countries, but I'd be curious if the situation was the same in malaysia and africa. Every chance the 'new' saws would be chinese knockoffs just the same.

FWIW, i had a fillipino friend in the phillipines call around the stihl dealers over there last year, I mean seriously call around. Like every minor dealer in the outlying islands. All said the same thing "yeah have some used, no more new ones available". It didn't sound like the used ones had been lightly used. These are working tools in those countries still. I didn't get a chance to follow up in other countries, but I'd be curious if the situation was the same in malaysia and africa. Every chance the 'new' saws would be chinese knockoffs just the same.

That fits well with other info - to the effect that Stihl no longer make any 090s or 070s anywhere.

It is impossible to be 100% sure though....

Older than 1990 or so then.

Back