is there any good future for a climber?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

(WLL)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i believe if u don't own a company by 35 should u get out of the field. what are some other thoughts on this subject?:( :dizzy:

(WLL) said:
i believe if u don't own a company by 35 should u get out of the field. what are some other thoughts on this subject?:( :dizzy:
Without lookin' at the other posts first my thought is YES!
Retirement.

:)

is there any over 50 still climbing full time

ill need 2 retire at 65 will my body still work after all that abuse??? how productive can a 50 year old man be? will his leggs still work 4 40 hrs a week. in pa the cold moist weather during winter realy makes yu feel the arthitus. and good luck finding some one looking 4 a 50+ climer if u loose ur job. does a sals rep make more than a climber?:monkey:

I can think of 2 or 3 climbers over 50, they are some of the smartest most efficient and ergonomic climbers i know thats why they can still climb productively.

All depends on what you WANT to do when your over 35!!!

I was trained by older guys

One being in his late fourties, the other in his early fifties. If you aren't working with older, experienced guys, you gotta ask yourself if you're getting the right training.
There are millions of little tricks that can save wear and tear on the body, mostly its the older gentlemen who know these tricks.
My advice is to hook up with someone who is willing to teach you as an apprentice.:buttkick:

At 60, I still put in an occasional 40 hr week in the summer. I am sure that if I did it more often, it would be easier to stay loose and in shape. One of my early instructors was 76 and still climbed well, even though he had fallen and broken his back in his late 30's. At that stage, he specialized in fancy pruning of small crabs and shrubbery, but he probably brought in more net income than any of the removal climbers the company had at the time. He certainly used less energy when he climbed than I did as a beginner.

Two other points. With the number of people looking for climbers right now, in the world (don't just look in your own backyard), I think ability will go far beyond age in the hiring process.
Attitude has more to do with how long you are productive than your age. I know a few 20 year olds, with a bad attitude who will never catch me in the amount of actual work gets done in a day.

Had my own business by age 30, wised up to the fact that I liked the freedom of working for someone else in about 12 years.

In my opinion old age means experience. I just yesterday called to one man at his best age (over 55) and asked if he could take me with to cut some trees. I have tremendeous respect for his skills and knowledge. And he still climbs just fine too.

59 Yrs and still climbing - start your own company

I'm 59 years old and still climb but I own my own business and that helps. I have a three man crew including myself and we normally work about 6 hours a-day, 4 days a week during the busy time. I don't think age has anything to do with climbing as much as attitude, and working smart with the right equipment.

(WLL) said:
i believe if u don't own a company by 35 should u get out of the field. what are some other thoughts on this subject?
I love to climb. I make good money climbing. Why should I give up something I love to do just so I can own my own business?
Besides, what are the benefits of owning your own business?
I figure by the time I'm 35, I may actually start to know what I'm doing up in a tree.;)
But realistically, I know that by the time I'm 35, I may be unable to physically keep up with the demands of climbing. (Hope not, but you never know.) So, when that day comes I'm just supposed to start my own tree business? I don't think so! I sure don't want to deal with a bunch of arrogant, know-it-all climbers who work for me.:D That's why I've gone to night school and got my BA-so when I'm forced to stop doing something I love, I don't HAVE to start my own business-I can simply move on to something else that I love to do. You've got to plan ahead, man!

Good climbers usually make good general foreman, or production managers when they feel that climbing is no longer possible. Companies also need equipment operators and experienced tree climbers to train new employees. I got into management after 15 years of production climbing. I still work outside doing a job I enjoy, without the 100 hours a week to start a company in an already flooded market. Make a plan of where you want to be in life and pursue it.

I have worked with a guy who still did bucket work at age 62. He was also a mechanic and if he had to come in early to fix something he would, then go tree work all day and then come back at the end of the day and possibly work late if there was something else he needed to do.

It is all about how you go about doing your job. Work smarted not harder.

elmnut said:
Good climbers usually make good general foreman, or production managers when they feel that climbing is no longer possible. Companies also need equipment operators and experienced tree climbers to train new employees. I got into management after 15 years of production climbing. I still work outside doing a job I enjoy, without the 100 hours a week to start a company in an already flooded market. Make a plan of where you want to be in life and pursue it.

All the general foreman I knew were the laziest most worthless climbers id ever seen, thats why the CO. made them GF`s in hope their ability to collect time sheetes and tell other good climbers where the work is was better than their field skills.
worked with many an older climber 55 & up hell just did sum storm damage with a 62yr old guy this past weekend pittsburgh area. they may loose a step in the speed dept. but the knowledge is priceless!! IMO work for a Co. try your own business or do work on the side be penny wise save all you can invest wisely & hope for the best.

AHH WHATTA RUSH...........................................LXT

lxt said:
All the general foreman I knew were the laziest most worthless climbers id ever seen, thats why the CO. made them GF`s in hope their ability to collect time sheetes and tell other good climbers where the work is was better than their field skills.
worked with many an older climber 55 & up hell just did sum storm damage with a 62yr old guy this past weekend pittsburgh area. they may loose a step in the speed dept. but the knowledge is priceless!! IMO work for a Co. try your own business or do work on the side be penny wise save all you can invest wisely & hope for the best.

AHH WHATTA RUSH...........................................LXT

Good climbers, good GFs, didn't say lazy climbers made good GFs...(sheets, not sheetes)

(WLL) said:

:confused: :confused: :confused: 35? why such a low age? what about those of us that recently started pro climbing? what we should just give up? :confused:

i like this field. Its taken me 20 years of being employed in almost 30 different professions to finally find something i enjoy. I'm sure as hell not going to quit now, just because "i'm 35 and dont own my own company yet" ...

BTW, there is a 70 year old climber here locally that kicks the butt on any young climber when it comes to tricky takedowns. (and he does'nt own his own company yet...)

Last edited:
Sage advice, that, to work smarter not harder. Trying to get my saw to run hot when it's "my" breaktiime. If only the clutch would slip just a bit! Do what you love, but be sure to believe in what you do. Alot of us older guys back off, no matter the amount of grace and skill aquired over the years. I still smoke, have for near 40 years, and am very capable in the trees. Alas, much slower than younger years. I started climbing circa age 13, we had home-made rope saddles back then. An old Asplundh chipper was a curiosity. The many small motion studies done over the decades does wonders for technique. There is no doubt that the new climbing equipment and methodology is going to extend productivity and the age of a climber to be so.

Elmnut got it right, theirs room in the industry to advance. Management, sales consulting etc. At 47 I do both climbing and sales/management and I couldn't be happier. I'll do tree care to the day I die in some form or another.

no age no limits

You are young if you dont try now you will regreat it, at 48 iam six months back into tree world after many years out and things have changed.
See my earlier posts, enjoy your work. Old Timer

Latest posts

Back