Is there anyway to quiet a Homelite XL-12?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure the muffler has not been modified. If it has, get a stock one. There's not much practical to be done to quiet the stock muffler. If that's too loud, get a battery saw. They're pretty good now- I've seen pro tree crews using them- but the good ones are not cheap.

The only way I know will work for sure is to fabricate your own muffler. I have done it with a Homelite Super2 and it is now quieter than stock. Just have to use light gauge auto body metal and make a large box with baffles, helps to have good welding equipment. Could also take the cover off the stock muffler and add an extra chamber. Keep you busy for awhile.

The very early XL12`s had stacks .not mufflers. They were ear splitters. The later versions came with improved stamped steel mufflers with an internal baffle.

images
images

I added a baffle to my sez. That helped a bunch. I believe back in the day you could order a new saw (optional on sez) that way?

I have a nice Homelite XL-12 that runs good, but is really loud. Probably not as loud as a YAZ, but close. I was looking for a way to make it a bit less noisey, but not hurt, or ruin it.
Easy answer here is to clean it up real nice, maybe a fresh coat of paint and a nice sharp chain...

Then put it on a shelf and buy a modern saw.

Easy answer here is to clean it up real nice, maybe a fresh coat of paint and a nice sharp chain...

Then put it on a shelf and buy a modern saw.
Yep....shut it off.....nevah start it again...problem solved.... Good dependable saws but they was certainly loud as could be. I have a half dozen or so......Super XLs were even louder.....

I have a nice Homelite XL-12 that runs good, but is really loud. Probably not as loud as a YAZ, but close. I was looking for a way to make it a bit less noisey, but not hurt, or ruin it.
I use ear plugs less weight and Effective. Going Deaf is not Cool .
Wear my chaps in the Humid Hot Summer every time. Wear my seat belt every time.
SAFETY RULES ARE WRITTEN IN BLOOD, Choose as if you life depends on it.

OK guys I get it, it's an old saw, it just runs good. I have a Stihl MS271 and a Echo CS-301 for my tree cutting. This old Homelite XL has the stacks . I had read they came with a muffler later, but never saw one. Sometimes I miss those push button oilers on the older saws.
I figured it must be a stacker, they were very popular around these parts and in the fall season when most homes were cutting up wood for the coming winter the air was filled with the harmony of dozens of chainsaws doing their duty.

OK guys I get it, it's an old saw, it just runs good. I have a Stihl MS271 and a Echo CS-301 for my tree cutting. This old Homelite XL has the stacks . I had read they came with a muffler later, but never saw one. Sometimes I miss those push button oilers on the older saws.
the mufflers are probably available? it is an old ass saw though.

You got your name right if you like manual oilers lol. Haven't used one in 30+ years and my thumb is still mad at me. (my 084 has an oil booster but you just hold it down when exter oil (pronounced oral...) is needed)

Run a MAC 10-10 for a few hours and yours will seem quieter ! ! ! For you or your neighbor? I just wear ear plugs but I sandblast for a living so I always wear them(my father didn't and I didn't want to end up with my favorite word being "WHAT"....and it isn't by the way!!!!) If it's for your neighbors that could be tougher...

I just cut a load of wood out in the "King's" forest before lunch with 2 of my McCulloch MAC 10-10As...I use to run only my newer Stihls but got and old 08s got it going and went nuts getting old ones...grew up using my dad's PRO MAC 10-10A and after getting a few I only use those now. Love the sound(with plugs), easy starting, just every thing about them....I use a Kluge auger ice fishing and it is awesomely terrible loud and just screams F' you!

Back