is there something wrong w/ this chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownpot Deaton

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
went to the local stihl dealership, asked him to sharpen my 2 chains for my 50" bar(158 drive links), got them back to the house and got to looking and it appears the guy ground the rakers down frather than i've ever seen for a work saw.....Iam also not sure about the angles either...is it me or did i just pay someone $32 to ruin a chain????

View attachment 87704

View attachment 87705

View attachment 87706

p.s. how do i get the pictures to show up as pictures instead of links.......

Looks like they ground the rakes to .125 instead of .025:(

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
They look overly low to me and not even from cutter to cutter. Pic 1 looks like the grind angle is NFG.

I think you got raped on a screw up.

Hell if I can get 32 bucks a chain for filing Ill go into business of chain filing

Last edited:
You have to use another server like photobucket to host your pics to have them show up on the thread.
And I'd think by the looks of those photos that the guy that sharpened it owes you a new chain.

Looks like they ground the rakes to .125 instead of .025:(

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I think your right Brad. He had better hang on to his saw if he uses these chains. I would be making a trip back to the dealer and let the guy that sharpen them have the first shot at using them.

thats what i thought...i was joking around with the guy and the only other people who do chains are complete a-holes....these people have never screwed me until now, (i didn't have time so i didn't mind it this one time, but i need it in the next 36 houtrs...I am needless to say veru angry...I am just worriede guy say's this should work...anyways im gonna have a little talk with him in the morning........

You are suppose to curve back the front of raker smooth also right? I know I do.

Looks like the rakers were taken down to the service limit

I would ask whoever worked on your chain, to what depth below the cutters did they set the depth gauges. I've got a feeling they have no idea. I know 2 professional fellers who go to the max of .040. They cut pine, fir, spruce. In the first place most folks set them at about .030 give or take a .005. Also, it's best to maintain the original curvature of the depth gauge top profile. Push the issue- again, ask them for the number.

thats sick dude. i wish ppl wood be str8 forward and just say they dont know how to do something instead of ****** some one's stuff that they make there money with. what's a loop worth for a bar that big? around here i pay 25.00 for a loop for my 16" so a 50" wood be 78.00 WOW i'd freak.

thats what i thought...i was joking around with the guy and the only other people who do chains are complete a-holes....these people have never screwed me until now, (i didn't have time so i didn't mind it this one time, but i need it in the next 36 houtrs...I am needless to say veru angry...I am just worriede guy say's this should work...anyways im gonna have a little talk with him in the morning........

Brownspot --
When you go back, show the guy [and owner] that sharpened your chains this thread !
Lots of credibility [read professional & experienced people] here.
Hard to argue with.

Try a feeler guage. Lay a straight edge across two teeth and check it. I had a chain that visually was way too low but a guage said it was right on.

Must be the way the pics were taken but the left side cutters look way lower than the right side.

Does not look like a good job even if the rakers are correct.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back