is there something wrong w/ this chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mtfallsmikey

mtfallsmikey

Addicted to ArboristSite
I butched up rakers like that only once...thought it would be "cute" for the HO chain that was on the saw at the time...I've larned well, thanks to this site..

I pay my guy $6/chain....$16.00?...new chain not much more than that me thinks...

CentaurG2

CentaurG2

Addicted to ArboristSite
This does not make any sense. Anyone who makes a living sharpening chains would have seen something was wrong. What is that chain and what did it look like before you brought it to him?? Almost looks like it is a harvester chain. Are you using that thing on a handheld chainsaw or on a woodprocesser??

striperswaper
try filing?

my vote
1. don't try to use it!
2. you should get a new chain and your money back for your time and trouble
3. the guy who did that is obviously clueless...a previous idea of having him "demo" that nice sharp chain would make a point in front of the shop owner

at $32 for sharpening you could just always run new chain from bailey's lol

seriously, file your own - you will get much longer chain life keeping it away from clowns that don't know what they are doing

good luck

avalancher

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Wow, thats some brutal sharpening to say the least.From the look of the cutters, looks like you had plenty of life left in that chain until the guy behind the counter got a hold of it. I think even if you took the cutters all the way back to the witness mark your rakers would still be to low.
Take the chain off the bar,go back,and strangle the guy with it!

stipes

stipes

Addicted to ArboristSite
Wow!!!!

Why would anyone want to cut the rakers down like that!!!! That would have upset me too....Only good thing you can do with that chain now is sell it on fleabay to some gothic chick to wear but the first thing she would prob. say is *who is the moron that sharpened this chain*.... :greenchainsaw:

Brownpot Deaton

Brownpot Deaton

ArboristSite Operative
welll talked to him.....

well couple things first. I almost always do my own chains, but didn't have the time ....

went to the store and said that these rakers were graound way to far for anything i could ever use. so they ask me if i want to talk to the guy incharge....(owners father who been working on chainsaws for 43 yrs according to him, and he looks like he was telling the truth)....
so i asked him what he did...says he puts it on the machine and checks the first couple depths then does the rest..asked himm what he set it to. The gentlemen replied 0.060......said he's been doing that his whole life...at this point i bite my tongue and shake my head becuase he's being nice about the whole thing...
when asked if i tried cutting anything with it, I said "I'm too afraid too."...I've never had a chain done this way nor heard of it from anyone. Then i pull out a brand new square tooth from my 28" bar and show them the difference and say that almost all new chains come set somewhere around 0.025"...(tried to pull out one of the stihl chain boxes(stihl dealer...) to show him the recomended depth....but alas, it's conveniently missing.....
the guy ask me if my husky 2100 is big enough for it, and i just luaghed...so he says test out back....im like ok lets do this...get the saw running after awhile and there's about a 25-28" log..start to cut it and it runs good, but about halfway through i can sense it starting to load up(mind you this is just lettinig it fall on it's own weight!)..so i but up to it and start digging in....it looads the saw bad(almost stoped once...)....
needless to say, a 50" tree would be a near impossible and too dangerous for me....so now im pissed becuase it appears to everyone else the chain works fine and that i don't know what im talking about...guy said whoever i was talking to(yall) didn't know too much about saws....instead of argueing at this point, I decide i'll just buy a new chain...qoutes me 158 drive links of stihl square tooth for $ 63, i say no discount???..they think about it and drop it to $55 each for 2...so I say no (becuase we have a spool and make our own).... and left angry...but I was as nice and respectfull as i could be the whole time ...

also, on tghe way out, i noticed an ms660 in the corner for $916.....

then i went to the other store to get a qoute on chain(and these guys are jerks!)....they ask me what guage, i say 0.063, he says, and i qoute..."Only stihl chain comes in that size...)...How does this guy make money???

Last edited:
flatpikr

flatpikr

ArboristSite Operative
I don't know what you're griping about-- .060 is perfect for balsa wood-- Never heard of anyone reducing that much (maybe race saws). Like I said before I have a friend in his 80s who has spent most of his life felling trees and working in the industry. He and his son, also a feller, set the depth gauges at .040 for conifers. I just crept up to .040 as I only cut juniper/cedar. Sometimes we have to put out a few bucks we didn't intend to-- kind of an education tax. Believe me, I've paid mine and still going (as recently as yesterday- but I won't go there) :censored:

CentaurG2

CentaurG2

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yet another example of the fine job Stihl does with its brick and mortar store businesses. You wonder why people try to get away from this company?? But hey..when they are the only game in town, you just put-up, shut-up or do the AS recommended “find another dealer who is 100 miles away”!! That crap is just plain sad… Good luck with your chains!!

jburlingham

jburlingham

Addicted to ArboristSite
I don't know what you're griping about-- .060 is perfect for balsa wood-- Never heard of anyone reducing that much (maybe race saws). Like I said before I have a friend in his 80s who has spent most of his life felling trees and working in the industry. He and his son, also a feller, set the depth gauges at .040 for conifers. I just crept up to .040 as I only cut juniper/cedar. Sometimes we have to put out a few bucks we didn't intend to-- kind of an education tax. Believe me, I've paid mine and still going (as recently as yesterday- but I won't go there) :censored:

They may also be good for cutting soap or styrofoam

gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yet another example of the fine job Stihl does with its brick and mortar store businesses. You wonder why people try to get away from this company?? But hey..when they are the only game in town, you just put-up, shut-up or do the AS recommended “find another dealer who is 100 miles away”!! That crap is just plain sad… Good luck with your chains!!

I agree, I have 2 Stihl dealers near me, Ones total crap and the other is spot on. The biggest saw the one dealer sells is a 361, the other a 660. Guess which one is the good one, when there open:) Dealer support isn't always what it's cracked up to be:buttkick:

showrguy

showrguy

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Brownpot, i think this could possibly be your fault..
did you make sure to tell him that this chain was gonna be used on a chainsaw ?? and not on a stump grinder ??

ok, seriously though, you could break 'em down and make shorter loops out of 'em, they'll cut like a mother @%$*er, but get a firm grip on that saw, she's gonna bite !!!

stipes

stipes

Addicted to ArboristSite
Copy your reciept...

Call stihl corporate. Get in touch with your area rep. Rakers that low are simply a safety hazard. You shouldn't have to shell out $100 for chains that they ruined. End of story.

I'd pack and mail that chain to Stihl and tell them this is how your dealer sharpens chains...Hate that happened to you...No only dangerous,,but sure is hard on your saw,,clutch...Just aint right man,,,just aint right.....

Latest posts