is there something wrong w/ this chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats sick dude. i wish ppl wood be str8 forward and just say they dont know how to do something instead of ****** some one's stuff that they make there money with. what's a loop worth for a bar that big? around here i pay 25.00 for a loop for my 16" so a 50" wood be 78.00 WOW i'd freak.

Hi Im new to this site,
Didnt know where to write my question so doing it here.
I have a Jonsereds 80cc saw the compression seems to be so high it will pull
the cord out of your hand or snap the cord or your shoulder.
Does anybody know why this is or a cure for it?
Thanks
Nick.

Hi Im new to this site,
Didnt know where to write my question so doing it here.
I have a Jonsereds 80cc saw the compression seems to be so high it will pull
the cord out of your hand or snap the cord or your shoulder.
Does anybody know why this is or a cure for it?
Thanks
Nick.

see the new thread button up in the left hand corner?

Many of you just summed up why this country is in the toliet.
Whaa! Whaa! Whaa! - Boo-Hoo!
Let's file a complaint, let's call Stihl, let's send photos.

It is a chain, it will take very little to fix it.

Get a grip people! Pathetic!

Ya know usually I can agree with you Sling'r but I gotta say on this one your dead wrong.

Part of what’s wrong with this country is that we have come to accept incompetence... mediocrity is the norm.

We now expect to pay hard earned money for disposable "nese" junk. Who cares right, it's cheap enough, just throw it away and buy another one . :dizzy: Quality is rapidly becoming a thing of the past we just can't seem to buy the junk fast enough. :chainsaw:

Not holding this guy accountable for such an obvious screw up is just telling him that it's ok, that you accept it, and that you'll be back for him break it off in you again.

Brownpot, took this guy a perfectly good chain, dull but otherwise good useable chain. He paid this man $32.00 in good faith that this man would provide him with competent service. He now has paid the price of a new chain for a man to ruin his and now you say he should just suck it up and spend the money for a new chain, at twice the going rate....... I don't think so.

This guy owes Brownpot a new chain to replace the one he destroyed.

If you wrecked your shinny new red car and took it to the bodyshop for repairs and it came back with two blue fenders you'd be pretty pissed. I bet you would even complain and if the guy wasn't willing to make it right I bet you would probably seek any means necessary to get the situation resolved...... then again maybe you would just drive the car with two blue fenders, after all it's not that hard to fix it. Or maybe you would pay the shop double to have them repainted. :dunno:

Brownpot, that man is raping you on those chains.... 32.00 to sharpen :dizzy: That chain would cost you maybe 10.00 tops here, probably 8.00, heck a whole new STIHL chain would only cost you $34.76. You need to find a better dealer or start going mail order.

He!! at 32.00 you would only have to sharpen 3 times and you have paid for a northern grinder. :dizzy:

Last edited:
heck a whole new STIHL chain would only cost you $34.76.

Wow around here a 16" Stihl chain is almost $25.00, So a 50" for $35.00 sound like a great deal. Buy a few and break them up.

heck a whole new STIHL chain would only cost you $34.76.

Wow around here a 16" Stihl chain is almost $25.00, So a 50" for $35.00 sound like a great deal. Buy a few and break them up.

(man this AS lag is killing me)

16" 60 drivers....... $13.20. ;)

going to take the full comp chain and turn it into loops for my 24" bar for show and tell. plan is to use them with my 10 pin sprocket and expansion chamber/ pipe when ever i get depressed....

so put the full skip chain on the bar and went to test it on an old piece of oak thats about 40-45" wide. hard to get it started, but if i got it going it just kept going:jawdrop: .didn't load the saw down too bad unless i pushed(was trusting gravity was enough). monster chips, vibration was big but not as ridiculus is i would've thought...
In all honesty, i still can't believe my saw was turning it. thought everthing would be fine with this chain till the second cut...couple inches in, started vibrating badly then it happen....bar hoped up couple inches and slammed back in undre full throttle catching the chain....I could see the chain hanging below the bar near the tip on the far side of the snag...so i stopped and pulled it out....chain was sagging 2 or 3" underneath on a 50' bar:jawdrop: . needless to say, i ain't using it again...im just gonna order some from bailey's, and hope something isn't wrong with my clutch after this accident since i didn't see anything wrong....

if i do get my chains sharpened my someone else, i'm going to tell them not to touch the rakers. or else...

Jordan

jpshakehead.gif

Ya know usually I can agree with you Sling'r but I gotta say on this one your dead wrong.

Part of what’s wrong with this country is that we have come to accept incompetence... mediocrity is the norm.

We now expect to pay hard earned money for disposable "nese" junk. Who cares right, it's cheap enough, just throw it away and buy another one . :dizzy: Quality is rapidly becoming a thing of the past we just can't seem to buy the junk fast enough. :chainsaw:

Not holding this guy accountable for such an obvious screw up is just telling him that it's ok, that you accept it, and that you'll be back for him break it off in you again.

Brownpot, took this guy a perfectly good chain, dull but otherwise good useable chain. He paid this man $32.00 in good faith that this man would provide him with competent service. He now has paid the price of a new chain for a man to ruin his and now you say he should just suck it up and spend the money for a new chain, at twice the going rate....... I don't think so.

This guy owes Brownpot a new chain to replace the one he destroyed.

If you wrecked your shinny new red car and took it to the bodyshop for repairs and it came back with two blue fenders you'd be pretty pissed. I bet you would even complain and if the guy wasn't willing to make it right I bet you would probably seek any means necessary to get the situation resolved...... then again maybe you would just drive the car with two blue fenders, after all it's not that hard to fix it. Or maybe you would pay the shop double to have them repainted. :dunno:

Brownpot, that man is raping you on those chains.... 32.00 to sharpen :dizzy: That chain would cost you maybe 10.00 tops here, probably 8.00, heck a whole new STIHL chain would only cost you $34.76. You need to find a better dealer or start going mail order.

He!! at 32.00 you would only have to sharpen 3 times and you have paid for a northern grinder. :dizzy:

My statement had nothing do with Brownpot and his misfortune, it had to do with the comments from fellow members after the fact.
I don't deal with half azz, that is why I do it myself so it gets done right.
I see your point, but that was not mine.

Regardless of what you decide to do about your own plight, you DO need to contact Stihl about this before someone gets hurt. You were experienced enough to see the problem, the average guy would never have noticed the possible danger and quite possibly could have been injured.

What I woud'a dun

In the unlikely senario that I would take a chain somewhere to be sharpened, and received something like this...

I would have said some unmentionables right away. There probably would not be anyway that I would have actually "paid" for that service! The chain would have been left there. Written off as a bad example.

Okay, now a 50" bar is going to be twice as critical as my 28" in regards to tension. Your first cut with that mutha of a saw (I know them... :) ) and you might want to shut down and tighten it up a bit. Cut a couple more with that torque monster and tension again. You should be good to go after that. Watch that it doesn't tighten up a bunch when cooling down.

Skip is the way to go with a long bar like that. Should feed nice and steady. I run skip on 24" with no complaints. Little rough to limb with....

-Pat

i am going to mention it to them when week starts back up.

also, i had paid the guy before hand...:(
Your first cut with that mutha of a saw (I know them... ) and you might want to shut down and tighten it up a bit. Cut a couple more with that torque monster and tension again. You should be good to go after that. Watch that it doesn't tighten up a bunch when cooling down.

did that..do it with all mine.

Last edited:
My statement had nothing do with Brownpot and his misfortune, it had to do with the comments from fellow members after the fact......... I see your point, but that was not mine.

Gotcha :cheers: Yeah I'm not a big fan of the whole Micky D's made me fat, I didn't know coffee was supposed to be hot, run to the lawyers mentality either.

I don't deal with half azz, that is why I do it myself so it gets done right.

I'm with ya on that one.... if you want it done right anymore you're probably gonna have to do it yourself.

Many of you just summed up why this country is in the toliet.
Whaa! Whaa! Whaa! - Boo-Hoo!
Let's file a complaint, let's call Stihl, let's send photos.

It is a chain, it will take very little to fix it.

Get a grip people! Pathetic!

Not sure I understand this post. We must assume the original poster here
wants eveyone's opinion, and what to do about the situation.

Ruining too huge chains is expensive, and the dealer obviously thinks they are
sharpened correctly, so he will not do anything to remedy the problem.

So he should take the lumps and not go back, and leave it at that?

If that is what you are saying, then fine, I would not waste too much time on this either, but then, you or I would not pay someone else to do it anyway,
so our opinions really don't apply.

But, he posted here, wishing to have our opinions on whether or not
this guy screwed up two very long and expensive chains, and charged him a
lot to do so. And in so, it leaves room for thoughts on how he could
get some compensation.

If he was to contact the Stihl dist. rep, that would be the surest way
to get any return on his loss. As they are very concerned about liability,
when it involves Stihl's name.

That is my thought, no "waah Wahh" about it.

I do not try to blame others when something is my fault, but if I bought a
happy meal, and there was a dog turd in it, I might want my money back,
and I probably would call McDonalds corporate office.

I might let it slide, and not go back. Or eat everything but the turd, and keep going back. Or go back for some honey mustard, that makes anything
taste pretty good.

Of course they might ask me how I determined it was a dog turd, then I would
have nothing to come back with....

Seriously, If he wants anything done about it, contact the Stihl rep.

Latest posts

Back