is there something wrong w/ this chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey lake… you need to get a grip. It was not my chain that was wrecked by an incompetent dealer but since I make my living with a chainsaw, not just twiddle with them in the back shed, I feel for this guy. If Stihl cannot provide superior service for their products, some other company will. I have no ax to grind with stihl. I own many and will continue to purchase Stihl product as long as I feel I am getting the best value for my hard earned dollar. If Stihl dealers are too ignorant to accept constructive criticism of poor or outdated policies concerning business operations especially where the end users of their products are pointing out flaws in their current system, then both you and Stihl deserve to fail. You want to talk about Group Think. Just keep drinking the “Stihl Kool-aid” and eventually you will be OK.

SO would you be making these posts if it had been a Husky dealer who wrecked his chains????

Man Brownpot, what did he use to grind those rakers.... a blow torch. :dizzy:Do like was said and contact the rep for your area if the dealer isn't willing to make it good. At the very least he owes you a new chain.

Like was said in this sue'em all world they are all pretty scared of anything that could result in a lawsuit, and that my friend could result in a lawsuit. :cheers:

BTW.... a print out of the chain manufacturers specs for your chain showing the proper depth setting my carry a lot more weight than a printout of this thread.... kinda hard to argue with that. ;) Go get your new chain.

Because there a a zillion more of them... crap exists everywhere... no matter the brand.

Best feedback is to go somewhere else, or, for a legitimate issue, bit?h to the Stihl area rep, in writing. Write to the Better Business Bureau. Stihl will listen if there are enough complaints.

Home Depot has to be the largest Echo dealer on the planet. How do they rate with any OPE assistance...? other then to willingly take it back for any reason and stick it to the OEM.

Andy, I agree with all that you say about this, I have a lot of respect for you and the other guys on here. I just wish there more dealers like you, or I was closer to you (I know that I'm not the only one on this board that thinks like that!!), that's all.

That's why I do my own. It is worth learning how if you don't know

Yeah no kidding, I could hack a chain up like that for free, at least you'd learn not to do it again and the only on eyou could be pissed at is yourself:)

Hey lake… you need to get a grip. It was not my chain that was wrecked by an incompetent dealer but since I make my living with a chainsaw, not just twiddle with them in the back shed, I feel for this guy. If Stihl cannot provide superior service for their products, some other company will. I have no ax to grind with stihl. I own many and will continue to purchase Stihl product as long as I feel I am getting the best value for my hard earned dollar. If Stihl dealers are too ignorant to accept constructive criticism of poor or outdated policies concerning business operations especially where the end users of their products are pointing out flaws in their current system, then both you and Stihl deserve to fail. You want to talk about Group Think. Just keep drinking the “Stihl Kool-aid” and eventually you will be OK.

You're a lost cause... lumping "stihl dealers" in a collective group shows your grip is loose at best. Extrapolatating one or two data points to "all" is a joke. So.. one guy screws up a chain so 7999 others can't sharpen them.. lololol

How's your "Ace Hardware", your "Chevy dealer", your 'Ford dealer' your MacDonalds, your Popeye Chicken..... ah.. forget it..

Last edited:
Yeah no kidding, I could hack a chain up like that for free, at least you'd learn not to do it again and the only on eyou could be pissed at is yourself:)

It was a locol "stihl dealer" (actually, his worthless Saturday high school help, but..) many many many years ago that burned a chain for me, and made me switch to sharpening my own.. hey, this is easy.. :greenchainsaw:

Many of you just summed up why this country is in the toliet.
Whaa! Whaa! Whaa! - Boo-Hoo!
Let's file a complaint, let's call Stihl, let's send photos.

It is a chain, it will take very little to fix it.

Get a grip people! Pathetic!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm................ Lakeside or Centaur, who would I trust to work on my equipment? If any member of AS has a grip, it is Lakeside.

my vote
1. don't try to use it!
2. you should get a new chain and your money back for your time and trouble
3. the guy who did that is obviously clueless...a previous idea of having him "demo" that nice sharp chain would make a point in front of the shop owner

at $32 for sharpening you could just always run new chain from bailey's lol

seriously, file your own - you will get much longer chain life keeping it away from clowns that don't know what they are doing

good luck

Wow, thats some brutal sharpening to say the least.From the look of the cutters, looks like you had plenty of life left in that chain until the guy behind the counter got a hold of it. I think even if you took the cutters all the way back to the witness mark your rakers would still be to low.
Take the chain off the bar,go back,and strangle the guy with it!

Now it is a racing chain! Porting, pipes, 110AV gas,

No seriously that sucks. Somebody needs to make that one right. File your own, have tehm ground once in a while (by someone else)

Good luck getting satisfaction on this.

Latest posts

Back