is there torque in a new saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upandcommer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was out cutting today with my freshly sharpened chains. A bit of background is in order I have a home-lite xl-12 (red model aka late model) with a 3/8th .50 stihl chain fresh sharpen on a 20" hard nose bar, I also broke out the now broken in and retuned ms290 .325 x.63 20"er roller nose bar. My question is if and when I ever replace my saws for firewood I would love to have the chain speed of the stihl with the torque and no bog of the xl-12 with a 20" bar would a 440 be enough to accomplish this goal or do i need to go up to the 660 and or the 7900 385xp 372xp i just really like the chain speed of the stihl but the no bog of the xl-12 had me thinking torque monster today i actually put three tanks on the xl-12 and only one on the stihl.

With only a 20 inch bar, you'll be be very happy with a 440.. Maybe even a 361. And a decent chain of course...

I like the idea that someone still runs a few tanks through a XL12! It's still a working saw, as opposed to a novelty in a collection that hardly ever gets used.

Any of you other members still put some time on the classic Mac's and Homelites?

spike60 said:
I like the idea that someone still runs a few tanks through a XL12! It's still a working saw, as opposed to a novelty in a collection that hardly ever gets used.

Any of you other members still put some time on the classic Mac's and Homelites?

Super XL and a 150A, although honestly the 150A doesn't get too many hours anymore. The XL is a different story though. It's my "user" saw, the one that comes out first. It will eventually get replaced by an 044/046, but not until it's "over"...I'm not holding my breath.

Mark

oldsaw said:
Super XL and a 150A, although honestly the 150A doesn't get too many hours anymore. The XL is a different story though. It's my "user" saw, the one that comes out first. It will eventually get replaced by an 044/046, but not until it's "over"...I'm not holding my breath.

Mark

Those old XL-12's and Super XL's have made a mark in history as old time favorites among many. They just keep on running. I read somewhere that the XL-12 was once the best selling saw in America. Gotta love them old saws...

I still use all my older saws, Super XLao, XL-12, and as soon as its back up and running, My Super EZ. I love those old saws, esp. old Homies! They may not have the R's of a newer saw, but they have truckloads of torque! I got my Super XL runing in tip to shape, with a 3/8 chisle chain on it, it rips through almost anything with out boggine down!

xl-12

I fired mine up last week just to hear it run for awhile. About the only time I use mine is on some smaller stuff that I can load into the sawbuck. I prefer using something with a brake when I'm cutting on uneven ground.

probably the 044 will have plenty of torque and power for you, but why worry? get the 066 instead just to be POSITIVE. just playin, grab an 044, and be happy. but hang onto the XL12 forever, you already know why.

boboak said:
Good advice. The XL-12 was my first "real" chainsaw...more years ago than I care to think about. I gave it away when I caught Stihl Fever. I don't regret the Stihls but I wish I'd kept the old red saw...just 'cause it was a lot better than I thought it was.

Don't feel bad Bob I had a old old blue XL-12 when I was a kid. Ran that thing for years. I too should have kept it , was a sweet little saw. Sold it for 25.00. Old thing is probly still running out there somewhere....

THALL10326 said:
Don't feel bad Bob I had a old old blue XL-12 when I was a kid. Ran that thing for years. I too should have kept it , was a sweet little saw. Sold it for 25.00. Old thing is probly still running out there somewhere....
I got me one of them too. they're LOUD saws, but really cool machines none the less. mine is a blue one too, dont care for the manual oiler, but who cares? built like a freight train it is.

I still use the old Homelite C-Series saws in what little logging we're doing right now and when ever some big fire wood is needing to be cut so it can be split up... The XL12 I've got is heading out the door though... I'm planning on listing it along with another XL12 parts saw on ebay in the next week along with a couple other saws "McCulloch 1-71 and a Burns model 200", so as I can replace the money I payed on the gear drive for my C-Series saws ;) One of the XL12's is the more modern red saw and the other is the older blue colored saw...

You can see pictures of my C-Series saws in the "Planetary Gear Drive Wanted" section for the C-Series saws... Some of the pictures didn't load correctly so some of them won't show the larger image once clicked on...

I guess the most modern saw we have is an Echo "limbing saw" and followed by that is a Husky 44... The Echo, I guess, is about 5 or 6 years old... The Husky, well who knows :)

I love old saws and other than using the manual oiler, would prefer to never own that many newer saws :biggrinbounce2: Newer saws always seem to tear up right when you need to use them the most :deadhorse: Then whats the point in having them over the older "tanks", right...

Ive put alot of time on my ol timber bear it is a great saw slow chain speed lots of torque, I just got my 044 a week ago and wow it is so different, I think a 440 would be way to much for what you want like some one else said a husky 372 would be great I almost got one.

Latest posts

Back