Is this a case for tree wound dressing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101sheldon101

Reaction score
Big windstorm took down a very large branch. I waited a day and called
tree service guys. They are all too busy for next two weeks.

One guy came out for estimate. He wants too put on tree dressing.

I've poked around on internet and those who say you should use dressing, say it has to be done ASAP.

In the meantime, should I get some tree wound dressing (where do I find it and what brand?).

Here's a bunch of pictures of damage.
blogsheldon: If a tree falls

tree wound dressing

No wound dressing on the market today is reccomended for application. Keep the tree healthy is about all you can do. And let the tree wall off the injury which will take many years if at all.

I'll second the motion.I would assume the arborist will at least clean up the cut.rounding off the rough edges may quicken the callousing process....(build new bark to cover the wound)

Don,t laugh at this it works and will save the tree. Clean the wound of any splinters and loose bark and get you a bucket of fresh cow manure and completely plaster the wound sealing all the damaged area extending the plaster onto the sound bark so as to completely seal the wound. This is a practice used for years in the orchard buisness for fruit tree damage. The process is called scaulding, it is amazing how it completely heals the wound. You will thank me for this little secret.

Dont put poop on your tree

Do so if you want to correct the problem. This works no matter what you think. My family opperated a large orchard they established in the mid 1800s, this practice was used to repair storm and over production damage to trees when limbs would split from the trunks. This practice was called scalding. When you seal the damaged area with a plaster of fresh cow manure the injury heals completely. I know it sounds gross but it definatly works. You probably won,t find this in any of the arborist publications but few of the Indians and early settlers published books contaning thier hard earned wisdome. If I had not experanced this mariculass repair of tree damage over the years, believe me I would not suggest it.

Do so if you want to correct the problem. This works no matter what you think. My family opperated a large orchard they established in the mid 1800s, this practice was used to repair storm and over production damage to trees when limbs would split from the trunks. This practice was called scalding. When you seal the damaged area with a plaster of fresh cow manure the injury heals completely. I know it sounds gross but it definatly works. You probably won,t find this in any of the arborist publications but few of the Indians and early settlers published books contaning thier hard earned wisdome. If I had not experanced this mariculass repair of tree damage over the years, believe me I would not suggest it.

LOL, OK, so lets do this. I think that idea is nuts, for obvious reasons. Last time you said this, I looked everywhere and couldn't find any proof of that working. So I propose this, do it and record it, may take a while to see the results. Take pics and document the progress. Until I see absolute proof that this works. I will continue to tell every one that you tell to do it, to not do it. I believe that it was done, just as topping, before we, as the human race, learned more about trees and plants. If it was the miracle cure that you claim, it would be a widely used and taught. Back in the 1800's I am sure, now, no way.
If you do it, and it works as u suggest, I will become a poop advocate.

I can see where a cottage industry may develop out of this. Urban arborists who don't have access to fresh cow poo may have to do it themselves and even change their diets to custom poo for wounds on different trees.
Phil

Did not see any picture of the problem but If you live in an area where Oak Wilt Disease is problematic you shoulb absolutely apply Tree Wound Dressing ASAP in order to reduce the potential for infection. Tree Wound Dressings have been PROVEN to help control the spread orf Oak Wilt and various other tree diseases. In addition to controlling the spread of disease, Tree Wound Dressings also reduce dieback which in turn leads to quicker wound closure.
IT IS VERY IMPORTANT to not over apply Tree Wound Dressings, more is not better! A thin, but complete coverage is all that is recomended. Over application can lead to the problems that have been associated with Tree Wound Dressings.

Big windstorm took down a very large branch. I waited a day and called
tree service guys. They are all too busy for next two weeks.

One guy came out for estimate. He wants too put on tree dressing.

I've poked around on internet and those who say you should use dressing, say it has to be done ASAP.

In the meantime, should I get some tree wound dressing (where do I find it and what brand?).

Here's a bunch of pictures of damage.
blogsheldon: If a tree falls

Hi again
I thought it was time to check in with you to see what the results were on your scalding job. I had a limb split from the trunk about a month after I sent you the remidy. I plastered the damage just as I explained it to you and the damage to my tree is completly healed over when I checked it last week, I did not use the wire mesh, just applyed the plaster directly to the wound. I hope your tree healed completely as mine did, for two reasons. #1 I hope it saved your tree and # 2 so the nonbelievers might learn a valuable lesson on how to handle a repair of this kind. Let us know it turned out. Thanks the old Saw Dog

LOL, OK, so lets do this. I think that idea is nuts, for obvious reasons. Last time you said this, I looked everywhere and couldn't find any proof of that working. So I propose this, do it and record it, may take a while to see the results. Take pics and document the progress. Until I see absolute proof that this works. I will continue to tell every one that you tell to do it, to not do it. I believe that it was done, just as topping, before we, as the human race, learned more about trees and plants. If it was the miracle cure that you claim, it would be a widely used and taught. Back in the 1800's I am sure, now, no way.
If you do it, and it works as u suggest, I will become a poop advocate.

Well I know i peed on a tree and killed it :)

Back