is this bar worth the money

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scalo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Carlton 18" Premium Laminate Guide Bar $16.95, I am a once a year wood cutter and don't think that I need a $85 bar for my Husky 350. Thanks in advance

the $85 bar I was refering to a woodsmanpro bar at baileys. I don't need something like that, just need something that will do a good job for homeowner/wood burner

I got Carlton on a partner 5000 16" for $19.99 and a 32" on a 066 for $39.99 at Baileys and I would buy them again. I am just a homeowner recreational user also. Save the money and forget the hype.

My local saw shop. They even say ECHO on them! I asked the guy if he's ever sold one and he just looked at me like I was an idiot, so I kept my mouth shut from that point forward.

What length is that? I bought a 28" Stihl Rollomatic for $68 at the Stihl shop once.

What length is that? I bought a 28" Stihl Rollomatic for $68 at the Stihl shop once.

I think it was an 18" bar. Seems like the 16" was 70 and the 14" was 60. He also has preboxed chain for those bars ranging from 35-50 dollars. Then he sold me a loop of 3/8 for my 30" bar for 25 bucks off his bulk roll. I figured he had the stuff out front for the yuppy types, which is my I made the smart-alec comment about ever selling a bar. I don't think he found it amusing, though...

I think it was an 18" bar. Seems like the 16" was 70 and the 14" was 60. He also has preboxed chain for those bars ranging from 35-50 dollars. Then he sold me a loop of 3/8 for my 30" bar for 25 bucks off his bulk roll. I figured he had the stuff out front for the yuppy types, which is my I made the smart-alec comment about ever selling a bar. I don't think he found it amusing, though...

What a rip off on those preboxed chains. We only sell Stihl chain at our store but we charge the same for a loop off the bulk roll, or a preboxed loop. 99% of the time if it's a size we have sold at least a few times in the past yr we start stocking it in a loop.

I just wanted to make sure that the bar was not a piece of junk that I would regret buying. I am nothing more than a weekend wood warrior who likes to play with his saw. Thanks for the advice.

My dealer sells the Stihl ES 28" bar for $49.99:) :clap:

scalo... the Woodsman Pro bars are way overpriced. You can get a 20" Oregon Powermatch or a Windsor Speedtip for your 350 for around 40 bucks.

Carlton bars are junk IMHO. You don't want to skimp too much on a bar. Buy a good quality bar... you'll be happier in the long run. Even if you use the saw only once a year.

Gary

I know that husqvarna says the 350 will handle a 20" bar but am I better off staying with an 18"?

Depends on the size of the wood you're cutting. Not really much difference between eighteen and twenty, though. Check Bailey's for the Oregon bar for your saw. Their prices and service are great and for what you're doing the Oregon bar will be just fine.

The 2 carlton bars i bought were made by GB and Tsumura. Here is what the bar specs stated.
Carlton Pro-Champ bars are made by GB from solid titanium steel. Comes with replaceable sprocketnose tip.
Carlton Premium Sprocket-Tip bars are manufactured by Tsumura. The nose is held in place by three rivets.

I know that husqvarna says the 350 will handle a 20" bar but am I better off staying with an 18"?

Oops... I'm sorry.:blush: I meant 18" for you. Well then the bars will actually be a tad cheaper. Go with the 18" bar. You should have no probs. I would recommend the Oregon Powermatch bar. I use them on my non-Stihl saws, and they are good bars.

Gary

WOW did he give the whole speil about how superior Stihl was to any thing else on the market and that stihl does not let defective products out of the factory ?
let me gues healso told you how it is mad pout o one pice of metall and hat Oregon makes the bars fro Huskys and jonnyreds / ( he is right they do ) oh and never even touch a laminated bar hey why shold a guy who cuts some cord wood , put ut big bucks fora bvar he is not going uuseday in and day out . i got sick of the BS amnd sold my Stihl aw and went aslnlyhuslys for now but I likea jnny rds theyaramade by Husquvarna on the same fatory . . ! ust a bit f dofernt loking .
Oh if do buy andsell stihls on ebay . itisjusta PiTA to getparts . I doj nothk even balleyswill ship Stihl stuff maybe qftemarket ndyo udo not needa stihl bar to run a stihl saw that is just more BS to mmake extrabuck of of you .
If you want to save money and make some order what you will bring and say a extra 10 or 15 cord of green hard wood be ther wen they eliver it amesure it is what you want neaure it as best you can cut the wood arent a spliter for a few days abput 150 - 200 no you do notneed the bigest baddest one and in a year place a add on Craiglslist for cut an split fire wood Yes I kmow some guys think wood must be seasond 2 years not so . I have a MS plant bilogy . it starts drying once it ison the gruond as it's water supply is gone . I have a semi self service cord wood operation . I sell at lower pices as I am not delvering, wchich = time and money . my folkls are retiered and "run " the firewood seling for te msot part . PM ifyou want more advice

Rick

Last edited:
WOW did he give the whole speil about how superior Stihl was to any thing else on the market and that stihl does not let defective products out of the factory ?
let me gues healso told you how it is mad pout o one pice of metall and hat Oregon makes the bars fro Huskys and jonnyreds / ( he is right they do ) oh and never even tpough a lamnated bar hey why shold a guy who cuts soem cord wood ,
Ifyou wanto savv money an make some order what you wil brin and asay a extra 10 or 15cord of green hard wood be ther wen they eliver it amesure it is what yu want neaure it as best you can cut the wood arent a spliter for a few days abput 150 - 200 no you do not need the bigest baddest one and in a year place a add on Craigls list for cut an split fire wood Yes I kmowcsome guys think wood must be seasond 2 years m. I have a MS plant bilogy . it starts drying once it ison the gruond as it's watersupply is gone . i have a semi slef service cord wood opetion . I sell at lower pices as I am not delvering, wchich = time and money . my folkls are retiered and "run " the firewood seling for te msot part . PM ifyou want more advice

Rick

Ahhh... you can always tell the loyal Stihl-bashing jealous Husqvarna fan.:ices_rofl:

Here is a tip... don't post when you are drunk... your post will make more sense to us humans.

Gary

let me gues healso told you how it is mad pout o one pice of metall and hat Oregon makes the bars fro Huskys and jonnyreds / ( he is right they do ) oh and never even touch a laminated bar hey why shold a guy who cuts some cord wood , put ut big bucks fora bvar he is not going uuseday in and day out . i got sick of the BS amnd sold my Stihl aw and went aslnlyhuslys for now but I likea jnny rds theyaramade by Husquvarna on the same fatory . . ! ust a bit f dofernt loking .
Oh if do buy andsell stihls on ebay . itisjusta PiTA to getparts . I doj nothk even balleyswill ship Stihl stuff maybe qftemarket ndyo udo not needa stihl bar to run a stihl saw that is just more BS to mmake extrabuck of of you .
If you want to save money and make some order what you will bring and say a extra 10 or 15 cord of green hard wood be ther wen they eliver it amesure it is what you want neaure it as best you can cut the wood arent a spliter for a few days abput 150 - 200 no you do notneed the bigest baddest one and in a year place a add on Craiglslist for cut an split fire wood Yes I kmow some guys think wood must be seasond 2 years not so . I have a MS plant bilogy . it starts drying once it ison the gruond as it's water supply is gone . I have a semi self service cord wood operation . I sell at lower pices as I am not delvering, wchich = time and money . my folkls are retiered and "run " the firewood seling for te msot part . PM ifyou want more advice

Rick

Rick, I understand you had an accident of some kind and have limited use of one of you hands, right? I think I got the gist of what you are saying, but when I bought that Stihl bar I was a bit desperate. I was milling that day, and it was an impulse buy. I should have shopped around for a different bar, but I got some wood milled that day in any case. I think the bar might have been the Rollomatic ES. That probably makes a difference in price. The ES looks like a higher grade bar.

Rick, I understand you had an accident of some kind and have limited use of one of you hands, right? I think I got the gist of what you are saying, but when I bought that Stihl bar I was a bit desperate. I was milling that day, and it was an impulse buy. I should have shopped around for a different bar, but I got some wood milled that day in any case. I think the bar might have been the Rollomatic ES. That probably makes a difference in price. The ES looks like a higher grade bar.

Yeah i do have lmted use of my right hand i can run a saw but the smallstuff is a PITA
Yeah the ES would increase the prioce he guy i sued to buy stihl stuff d from wnted 80 for a 20 inch rolamatic . i went and got a oregon for muchbless . it was a bad day i needed bar fast . Thatwas my frsit thoughts i should be looking at differnt saws . The i could realy trash the dealre . I rarely see any customrs pak3ed at hsi pacei have no idea how he stays in business .

I am sure if any one that has been around lojn enough will have to run while on the job and get a bar more chains ect .

Latest posts

Back