Is this normal? OWB WoodMaster

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
exactly... I have spent time playing with wood size and it really has no effect on how much wood I burn to keep the house warm.

When you have flame jumping 2 feet out of the stack - there has to be some loss of efficiency.

I have also found that in the Woodmaster that does not have an ash grate - the larger pieces hold together longer and make it easier to reduce the amount of coals that get buried in the ash, and I have less coal raking to do.

Last edited:
When you have flame jumping 2 feet out of the stack - there has to be some loss of efficiency.

I have also found that in the Woodmaster that does not have an ash grate - the larger pieces hold together longer and make it easier to reduce the amount of coals that get buried in the ash, and I have less coal raking to do.

are you sure? are you sure it's not just burning off the creosote build up? If there is a loss of efficiency it's not large enough to notice. I keep my house at 73 night and day home or not so I have a firm understanding of my stoves efficiency.

are you sure? are you sure it's not just burning off the creosote build up? If there is a loss of efficiency it's not large enough to notice. I keep my house at 73 night and day home or not so I have a firm understanding of my stoves efficiency.

If it is just creosote burning.....I agree that it is not wasting any wood energy.

The temperature is so erratic where I live - it is hard to keep track of wood consumption and use as every day the weather is different. My house is 68 and my garage at 60 and I do not change those settings much unless I am going to be away for a day or two. I do know that the larger pieces of wood have much less surface area to volume ratio - and when I open the door and look inside the larger pieces are making a nice controlled steady flame and the coal layer is very controllable. When I burn small pieces I have a much larger flame and I end up with a much thicker layer of coals to rake and control.

If it is just creosote burning.....I agree that it is not wasting any wood energy.

The temperature is so erratic where I live - it is hard to keep track of wood consumption and use as every day the weather is different. My house is 68 and my garage at 60 and I do not change those settings much unless I am going to be away for a day or two. I do know that the larger pieces of wood have much less surface area to volume ratio - and when I open the door and look inside the larger pieces are making a nice controlled steady flame and the coal layer is very controllable. When I burn small pieces I have a much larger flame and I end up with a much thicker layer of coals to rake and control.

You also get a faster hotter fire? Shorter burn times?

Back