Is this Super 250 too far gone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just an idea but a very thin piece of metal like a coke can cut to size might also work to cover the holes and it would offer 0 fuel passthrough, and would be thinner then the paper gasket makeing the need for compinsation less..just an idea.

I wish I could get non ethanol fuel around here. I dont know of anywhere around here that sells straight gas any more. It realy is nasty stuff.

Find a local small airport and get 100LL. It doesn't contain ethanol and it's leaded, as in like the stuff the saw was designed for back when... My saws like it and when mixed with Klotz R50 they smell as good as they sound.

I will have to look into that, I think there is a small hanger within the airport near me that might sell fuel to the public. I know that some people I used to know bought av gas for racing from somewhere around there. As for now I am still not able to get it to run right. My double gasket idea did seem to stop the leaking but still not idling right and seems to not respond well to mixture adjustments. So next step is to try swapping carbs until I can get this one completely disassembled and thoroughly cleaned. I guess after all these years of neglect the saw has got lazy and dosnt want to go back to work. It has no choice though.

Sort of, it did stop the leak, but I think like Mark had said there is still some junk in the carb from the stuff I have used sealing up the holes dissolving and getting sucked through the carb. I am going to clean it out again and try swaping carbs to see if that helps.

I am so close. Its just a carb holding me up. I have got to make one cut with the bow bar so far though. I have been pulling it apart and putting it back together again so much it looks used again. But I will be happy when it runs properly. I have a tree down at my parents house waiting to be cut up. I hope to have it fixed by this weekend.

I just got here.
Great thread ! Great job !
That old Mac sound is definitely addicting. I had a Super 550 but I had to thin the herd and decided to stick with old Homelites because I have parts available locally.
Does your Dad know anything about this yet ?
A video with him, running the saw(?), would be the icing on this cake of a thread. :cheers:

I just got here.
Great thread ! Great job !
That old Mac sound is definitely addicting. I had a Super 550 but I had to thin the herd and decided to stick with old Homelites because I have parts available locally.
Does your Dad know anything about this yet ?
A video with him, running the saw(?), would be the icing on this cake of a thread. :cheers:

Thank you! My dad has seen the saw, there is a pic of me and him with it a couple of pages back. As soon as I can get the last few kinks worked out I will post a video of it cutting. Might even try to sneak a video of my dad cutting with it too.

My dad has seen the saw, there is a pic of me and him with it a couple of pages back.
Sorry 'bout that. I skimmed through about 12 of the 44! pages.
I'll be checking in daily now, though. :cheers:

Ok, flying a major holding pattern right now. Still having carb issues and because of all the leaking fuel the paint in the air box is shot. So while I am working on the carb problem I am going to try to fix the paint issue and clean the fuel tank. The fuel tank is nasty from trying to seal some of the bolts holding it to the crank case. I have also found some of my patches in the fuel tank falling apart and that is going to be addressed as well. Might as well get everything squared away so when I get the carb situation remedied I can start cutting. I am happy to be as far as I am but I also just feel like :bang:. On the bright side my dad has been helping me try to figure out the carb issue and is still surprised I have got this far.

Stick with it Brian. This kind of stuff can be very discouraging, but you have made tremendous progress on a saw most people never would have attempted to rebuild. These are minor distractions. I've got a 250 right now that I rebuilt the carb on and I can't get it to draw fuel from the tank. Very aggravating :cry::cry::cry: But in the end I will prevail, as will you. :rockn:
Jim

HL conversion

brian, there is hope !
i have followed your rebuild and read marks flatback thread over the past few months while trying to get the carb (flatback) on my 795 to work. it ran but flooded. i had it on and off a half dozen times adjusting metering level, pop off pressure all the trhings i could find on this site. the primer worked etc but it contnued to drool out the back and exhaust. i can see why they had that spitback foam there. i even pulled the large welch plug to make sure it was clear. it was, but in the process i ruined the valve. that was the last straw !
saturday i put an HL carb with the low profile fuel intake on it and within a few pull it fired right off, a little fine tuning and she runs like i hoped it would.yes!
if you could find a tillotson HL19b like they use on the 1-71 you'd be set.

The only thing that really aggravates me is I have heard it running, I am so close but cant cut with it yet. Its the waiting that sucks. And now I have to go back and make repairs from the fuel leaking and from taking it apart and putting it back together again. The work dosnt bother me, its fun and a learning process. But I have no patients at all, and I have had a taste and now want to cut with it bad LOL. I have read in other threads the troubles in rebuilding these old Macs and know I am not the only one to have problems. Guess its all part of the game. On the bright side I think I found a fuel station nearby that sells ethenol free gas. That may help some.

Go and buy some and tell them why you are there. I mean make a big deal of it. So they know people want the stuff. They threatened to pull the pump we have around here. Took about a half hour for the petition to be started; three days later they mailed 8 pages of sigs. They just thought hey we don't sell as much, lets forget about it.

When I was looking for places in my area that still sell ethanol free gas, I found a neat article. Our Governor Charlie Christ is signing or has signed a bill that will mandate that all fuel in Florida have to have a minimum of 5% or 10%. So I think I am screwed there.

When I was looking for places in my area that still sell ethanol free gas, I found a neat article. Our Governor Charlie Christ is signing or has signed a bill that will mandate that all fuel in Florida have to have a minimum of 5% or 10%. So I think I am screwed there.

Welcome to our world. Ca's been that way for a while. For years we were forced to buy MTBE-fouled gasoline......................until the enviros that pushed for it in the first place discovered that it was leaching through the tanks and poisoning our water. Then they decided that we need a 'substitute oxygenate' and forced us to buy alky-gas...:censored:

You should still be able to get race gas and av gas without alky. Just gonna cost you more now. Again...............welcome to our world...:chainsaw:

Back