It finally happened

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ax-man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Not exactly a chainsaw thing and a kind of different thread from the what is wrong with my saw threads. I am not a religious man but the Lord does work in mysterious ways. I have been watching this old over mature Red Oak die for the last two years. I would have cut it down in one shot but because it was rotten at the bottom things can go wrong real quick . I could have gotten it down with my old bucket truck but it was a good 10 feet or more taller than the boom and would require roping and rigging . There is also a 440 ROW electric service running very close to this tree . Working alone and with no one around didn't appeal to me if something went wrong .I decided to let nature do it's thing .

It finally happened . We got a big heavy wind from the west and it laid that old Red Oak down flat on the ground and took out another rotten White Oak which was a surprise to me . I couldn't have felled that tree any better. That wind also uprooted a dead Cherry and moved it in such a way I can get it down without having to worry about that electric service .

Now I have another mess to clean up and burn . I was getting so close to having that little patch of woods looking like I wanted it to look after 20 years of cutting, culling and cleaning up. It looks like some of my bigger saws will come out of retirement and my new to me skid loader with a brush grapple will be doing more work than I planned on. DSCN2130.JPG DSCN2132.JPG DSCN2133.JPG DSCN2131.JPG

It happened again. AAARGH! I finally had just gotten rid of the first mess that started this thread along with all the ground debris picked up so I could mow this small patch of woods with the tractor so I wouldn't have to do much so much backing up when I do the bush hogging in summer. I also was able to get the standing small dead trees down and cleaned up . I was so happy to see our little woods looking nice and clean for a woodlot anyway.

I set that pile of rotten wood on fire yesterday because ground and wind conditions were good for burning . I went back this morning to pile up the remnants of yesterday's fire to finish things up for the winter . The wind was blowing pretty good today which was a good thing for the fire to help finish up the burning.

As I was driving down the lane to the woodlot something didn't look quite right . I get down to the trees and sure enough that darn wind culled another dead ,rotten Red Oak almost to the day when I first posted this thread. I muttered to myself or I should say swore . YOU HAVE GOT TO BE SH!!!!!! ME . SOMEONE GIVE ME A BREAK.

This was no surprise I seen it coming . I was just hoping it wouldn't have happened till next year or longer . I was so looking forward to being excused from tree cutting duty for awhile because all summer we have had more wind damage done to our trees more than in the past and I was just tired of cleaning up after wind storms . No sense in complaining it is what it is . Looks like the neighbor is going to get more firewood after I get the good separated from the bad . I also now have matching matching snags or sterns to look at when I am down there working to remind me of how many of these Red Oaks we have lost over the years.

Attachments

• DSCN2211.JPG
    DSCN2211.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 20
  • DSCN2218.JPG
    DSCN2218.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 20
  • DSCN2217.JPG
    DSCN2217.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 18
  • DSCN2215.JPG
    DSCN2215.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 22
Ha! The wind has no respect for our wishes! I had a real big for this area dead Red Oak in my woodlot. I didn't have a bar close to long enough to cut even close to the center, so I bought a 28" bar and chain to mount on my Sachs-Dolmar 133. About a week after I got the B+C, I was in the wood lot and the wind had pushed the tree over and the trunk split into 5 or 6 pieces not more than 16" through- it was hollowed out almost 4 feet across up the center! So now I have an unused 28" Sachs-Dolmar marked B+C, but that's okay since the 133 needs a piston and jug now! Can't win sometimes.

Latest posts

Back