Its Electric!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was enthused about tidal energy when it was first discussed that I remember back in the 1970s. But a major problem has been corrosion and maintenance. That has doomed most tidal projects.

Not really. The real killer is that there isn't a big spike of energy to capture. There just isn't enough water pressure with a couple of meters rise to justify mega-millions of investment for tiny returns of energy. Friction eats up all the available energy for capture.

Imagine, if you will, all the wind blowing across a mountain range thousands of miles long. LOTS of energy there, right? But what if the wind only blows with a zephyr, just a couple miles per hour (or kilometers, if you prefer). The amount of energy available for capture in all that air mass is enormous. It's just that we haven't figured out how to do it efficiently enough to use. ...Yet.

Again, if I was in the business of selling new batteries, would I be advocating the recycling of said batteries?
If I was in the business of selling oil, would I be advocating for green energy?
If I was in the business of selling coffins, would I be advocating for folks to quit smoking?
Consider the source when someone like Elon says its too expensive, Hardly Davidson says to only use their oil, because they make $2 a quart on it, Stihl says to only use their 2 smoke mix, because they make $4 a pint on it.
I feel like this should be covered in elementary school.
And the point was, that if it were cost effective to recycle old battery materials into new batteries, Elon wouldn’t hesitate to do so. It is POSSIBLE to recycle old Lithium Ion batteries, but it isn’t cost effective to do so

I think that you need to go back, and finish elementary school

Doug

Then why did they double and triple costs?
Boy, that ain’t no joke, after Obummercare, my medical premiums Tripled, and the coverage isn’t anywhere near as good as it was before

Pretty much what you would expect in that scenario, a whole lot Less, for a whole lot more money

Doug

Electrolytic-tough pitch copper​

I could not find any source to substantiate what I put about only from ore before however if dissolving in sulfuric acid and then electro plating out is easy refining or perhaps recycling is likely subjective.

I did find the below quote which I found interesting.

“The term ‘tough pitch’ originates from the time when molten copper, after refining, was cast into ingot moulds. During refining, the copper was oxidized to remove impurities and then reduced by hydrogen to give the correct oxygen level. To monitor this process, a small sample was taken, and the solidification surface was observed. If the surface sunk, there was too much oxygen; if it was raised, there was too much hydrogen. If it was level (correct pitch), the oxygen was correct, and the properties good; in other words, ’ tough,’ hence tough pitch. “
I know you're just quoting, but none of that is correct, hydrogen and oxygen both have very negative effects on copper, the raised vs level vs sunken thing is purely a matter of how much metal was poured into a mold vs how much shrinkage there was, more of an effect of heat then anything chemically.
there are several different methods to purify copper, or any metal for that matter.
I just find it amusing that folks would actually believe R. Limpbough, or that other monkey Alex Jones, well its amusing to a point, then you realize these people are that gullible and are the type to spend good money on "owning" a vacation condo share...

FWIW...the gas plant down the road from me generates 750MW on 80 acres. You'd need a little over 5000 acres of solar panels to match that.
Let's put all our farmland into solar and starve to death doin it.
well, you fail to take into account the 1000's of wells, spread over 1000's of acres and the 1000's of miles of pipe line to feed said NG plant. All your seeing is the end of a very long very complex and frankly unstable supply chain.

I know you're just quoting, but none of that is correct, hydrogen and oxygen both have very negative effects on copper, the raised vs level vs sunken thing is purely a matter of how much metal was poured into a mold vs how much shrinkage there was, more of an effect of heat then anything chemically.
there are several different methods to purify copper, or any metal for that matter.
I just find it amusing that folks would actually believe R. Limpbough, or that other monkey Alex Jones, well its amusing to a point, then you realize these people are that gullible and are the type to spend good money on "owning" a vacation condo share...
Coming from the gullible hick, that thinks an electric log truck is a good idea 😂😆🤣

Doug

well, you fail to take into account the 1000's of wells, spread over 1000's of acres and the 1000's of miles of pipe line to feed said NG plant. All your seeing is the end of a very long very complex and frankly unstable supply chain.
And yet is a VERY RELIABLE BASELOAD Power Source 😉

Doug

Looks like this thread was already derailed a couple times, so I will derail it further. My problem with alternative energy is that nobody will ever be happy. We have a wind farm about 2 hours from my house. The hippy types were thrilled, until the top of Cold Knob mountain was cleared off to make room for them. Well, that got settled for a little while. Then, bats started getting killed by the wind turbines . Stop the turbines they yelled . The damage is done. Top of the mountain is cleared off, big ugly turbines are there to see from 25 miles away, and we have dead bats that the company was fined for daily. A fine for every dead bat. No matter what we do, there will be some environmental impact. Ever saw pictures of the lithium mines? I am all for a better way, but to snap your fingers and say it will happen tomorrow is plain stupid.

Looks like this thread was already derailed a couple times, so I will derail it further. My problem with alternative energy is that nobody will ever be happy. We have a wind farm about 2 hours from my house. The hippy types were thrilled, until the top of Cold Knob mountain was cleared off to make room for them. Well, that got settled for a little while. Then, bats started getting killed by the wind turbines . Stop the turbines they yelled . The damage is done. Top of the mountain is cleared off, big ugly turbines are there to see from 25 miles away, and we have dead bats that the company was fined for daily. A fine for every dead bat. No matter what we do, there will be some environmental impact. Ever saw pictures of the lithium mines? I am all for a better way, but to snap your fingers and say it will happen tomorrow is plain stupid.
cant make everyone happy, even if its better for them... regardless of the subject, some ill informed knob is going to whine about some aspect of it, give people a free meal and some sob is going to gripe about the lack of salt in the taters

i would hesitate to say that the same group whined about different things, the dead bat folks probably are the same as the ruined scenery folks, but not connected to the green enetgy folks..

cant make everyone happy, even if its better for them... regardless of the subject, some ill informed knob is going to whine about some aspect of it, give people a free meal and some sob is going to gripe about the lack of salt in the taters

i would hesitate to say that the same group whined about different things, the dead bat folks probably are the same as the ruined scenery folks, but not connected to the green enetgy folks..
Not to argue with you, but yes, these are the same folks that chained themselves to track hoes to stop natural gas lines . And also the same folks that fought a power line 25 years ago. Most of the protesters were not even from the area, and many were from out of state. If you look up Wind Farm, Greenbrier county WV, you will find a pretty interesting read. The mountain is called Cold Knob, which ironically is also mined for coal daily by the Anjean Coal Co. Also look up No Frack in Karst . WV has been built on coal, and has depended on fossil fuels for hundreds of years ,along with the rest of the country. As I stated earlier, I am all for a better way, but to think we can go from years of coal to all electric power without fossil fuel powered plants by 2025 has many, myself included , wondering just what kind of magic wand these Green New Deal people are waving around.

Not to argue with you, but yes, these are the same folks that chained themselves to track hoes to stop natural gas lines . And also the same folks that fought a power line 25 years ago. Most of the protesters were not even from the area, and many were from out of state. If you look up Wind Farm, Greenbrier county WV, you will find a pretty interesting read. The mountain is called Cold Knob, which ironically is also mined for coal daily by the Anjean Coal Co. Also look up No Frack in Karst . WV has been built on coal, and has depended on fossil fuels for hundreds of years ,along with the rest of the country. As I stated earlier, I am all for a better way, but to think we can go from years of coal to all electric power without fossil fuel powered plants by 2025 has many, myself included , wondering just what kind of magic wand these Green New Deal people are waving around.
2025 might be a bit optimistic, but its a goal, likely never happen without any sort of goal, some folks you have to lead by the nose otherwise they'd never get anything done.

Cold Knob is a great name BTW, saving that for an insult lol.

Just a wee Update on the Edison Truck, their converted KW has been going to truck shows a bit, and they now have a ground up prototype, just leaving paint and getting ready for a truck show in Vancouver BC, complete with electric driven axles, batteries, and backup genset.
volvo, and Cat both have 200 class all electric excavators on the market now too.

volvo, and Cat both have 200 class all electric excavators on the market now too.
All well and good but what realistic purpose does it serve?
Setting up the charging station will cost more time, labor and quite possibly more carbon than burning diesel.
Heavy mining shovels are one thing but they spend their life in a single reasonably small area. A 200 class is going to need serious infrastructure to recharge in a timely manner. Here that machine could be on three different job sites in a single day.

All well and good but what realistic purpose does it serve?
Setting up the charging station will cost more time, labor and quite possibly more carbon than burning diesel.
Heavy mining shovels are one thing but they spend their life in a single reasonably small area. A 200 class is going to need serious infrastructure to recharge in a timely manner. Here that machine could be on three different job sites in a single day.
Reasoning need not apply!

Latest posts

Back