Its Electric!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All well and good but what realistic purpose does it serve?
Setting up the charging station will cost more time, labor and quite possibly more carbon than burning diesel.
Heavy mining shovels are one thing but they spend their life in a single reasonably small area. A 200 class is going to need serious infrastructure to recharge in a timely manner. Here that machine could be on three different job sites in a single day.
for inner city work, all you need is a 220v outlet, 3ph would be better but not necessary, to reiterate recharging doesn't take anymore power then a clothes dryer. Most home sights have a temporary power connection as it is, major construction sites as well,
As for building a charging station... its an inverter, nothing more bout the size of a carry on, not like you need to build a pad, dig for underground power, and spend a week waiting on inspectors to sign off on it, you just plug the damn thing into a 220v outlet and it starts working.

for the too long too stupid to read, a Tesla has 400hp at the wheels, a 200class diesel excavator only has about 180hp... the excavator has larger batteries, but will still do a 10 hr day on a full charge, and like the Teslas, Rivians, etc takes about 8 hours to fully charge, 20 mins at a commercial "rapid" charger, which are notably different

As for in the boonies, there are commercially available solar charging stations, I believe I covered that in the original series of posts, not to mention that Edison is making most of their income right now with Solar Light towers, which have enough capacity to recharge other equipment, and can be expanded.
Folks get hung up on the little falsehoods, yes you need outside power to recharge, no its not some extreme draw on the grid despite what certain conservative (read oil funded) news outlets continue to claim, is it cleaner then diesel... that should be self evident.

OH but the oil/gas/coal fired powerstations blah frickity blah blah, 90% of power here in WA is hydro or wind/solar (where I live its 99% renewable grid power) And frankly outside of the dumb ass holdouts like Texas, fossil fuels are on the way out for grid power anyway.

but also, anyone taking a 200 class to 3 jobs in one day is a liar or a fool, this ain't the type of machine you pull with your pickemup truck and a sunday DOT permit, you should have a lowboy and at least 5 axles under it.
FFS it takes an hour just to load and tie down an excavator of that size, let alone drive to the job, another hour to unload, minimum yer talking 2.5 hours per move, do that 3 times in one day? you spend $2000 on moving a machine to get 4hours of work done? Yeah, not likely.

20230621_132422.jpg
If you spend more than a half hour tying a 200 class down you will be looking for employment elsewhere.
That is a 210 in the background, the guy I work for has 4 200 class excavators, they are the day to day machine, he has his own tractor and lowboy, along with a driver to move things around. 2 Chains on each corner and one over the bucket don't take that long. The company is working on 7 jobsites right now, with two more starting next week, equipment is moved where it is needed as it is needed. There were a few 110v outlets in this park, in a city, the car we looked at 6 months ago claims 28 hours to full charge on 110v, and we would need a "dryer outlet" to charge it in 8 hours, I can guarantee the batteries to run a 200 class are going to take a hell of a lot longer to charge on 50 amps than a freaking KIA.

but also, anyone taking a 200 class to 3 jobs in one day is a liar or a fool, this ain't the type of machine you pull with your pickemup truck and a sunday DOT permit, you should have a lowboy and at least 5 axles under it.
FFS it takes an hour just to load and tie down an excavator of that size, let alone drive to the job, another hour to unload, minimum yer talking 2.5 hours per move, do that 3 times in one day? you spend $2000 on moving a machine to get 4hours of work done? Yeah, not likely.
You must operate differently than others. My son routinely has to haul to Columbia Missouri which is 253 miles away. He makes the 506 mile round trip in a standard 10 hour day.

Now try loading this one. The equipment is getting to big for the shop.

1693847549930.png

What size battery does this excavator have? I'm not finding any specifics on it. Fords 130kWh battery in their F150 requires an 80a home charger unless you want to spend 3+ days trickle charging it off 110v. Ford claims 8-10 hrs to fully charge with said 80a charger. I can't imagine a 200 series excavator having a smaller battery than a Cadillac pickup, and you'd be hard pressed to find a construction site with the capability of plugging in an 80a charger. Construction sites tend to be lacking in such luxuries. Just sayin'

I really want to like BEV. Quieter than anything else. More usable torque than anything else. Reduced maintenance costs. BUT the battery technology is just....inadequate.
It's heavy, packs not a lot of energy per weight, takes a long time to "fill up."
And the million dollar question still isn't being answered - who is gonna afford these replacement batteries in 12-15 years when they go TU?
As it stands now the battery value exceeds the vehicle in some cases.
The argument has been made this will change as things become more mainstream. Yet here we are at $5/gallon fuel? There goes that theory. We are simply shuttering one monopoly to create another.

20230523_114520.jpg
If you look to the left of my forks on the other side of the river is another 210 working in the park a few hundred yards away from where I was working on another entirely different job. For some unknown reason they won't let us walk the machines from job to job.

View attachment 1109842
If you spend more than a half hour tying a 200 class down you will be looking for employment elsewhere.
That is a 210 in the background, the guy I work for has 4 200 class excavators, they are the day to day machine, he has his own tractor and lowboy, along with a driver to move things around. 2 Chains on each corner and one over the bucket don't take that long. The company is working on 7 jobsites right now, with two more starting next week, equipment is moved where it is needed as it is needed. There were a few 110v outlets in this park, in a city, the car we looked at 6 months ago claims 28 hours to full charge on 110v, and we would need a "dryer outlet" to charge it in 8 hours, I can guarantee the batteries to run a 200 class are going to take a hell of a lot longer to charge on 50 amps than a freaking KIA.
I was going to meantion something similar to this. A 200 class hoe is pretty common to see on job sites, and get shuffled around pretty frequently. When I worked heavy equipment, they were the equivalent to a mini hoe. Just ran them over the side I'd the low boy and tossed some chains on them. Bellow is a shovel 5130 cat. They had 2 more that were hoe versions. Isuzu trooper and an f700 in the background. Pretty normal sized equipment, this was taken at a landfill about 2 hours from the shop.

Attachments

• 0106111045-01.jpg
    0106111045-01.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 0103111702-01.jpg
    0103111702-01.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 0
View attachment 1109842
well i guess if you wanna get an unsecured load fine, then only having 2 tie down points would take a mere 20 min, that doesnt include moving said truck, splitting the lowbed, driving machine onto trailer, reconnecting lowbed.

but yeah if you intend to half ass it sure it saves time

lets pretend that im not the employee, and i am the owner, and the guy thats responsible for how my truck is loaded

ok, 20 min to tie 9 (4 more then necessary) as well as load machine, even if yer side loading... i call bs
Call away, 20 minutes is your claim not mine and the owner would lose his mind if someone loaded the bigger machines over the side, that is why the neck detaches.

lets not gloss over shoveling the tracks, retreaving truck, waiting on truck to show up, argueing with the driver about ? whatever?
fueling machine, as well as untold number of unforseen issues

no one is moving a 200 sized excavator, more then once a day, unless they like losing money, claiming its common is bs, generally a machine that big us looking at several days, even weeks on a job

Back