Its Electric!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy to learn. Please explain.
Pretty simple
1. An electric powered dragline tethered to a powerline
2. The dragline is strip mining high sulfur coal
3. The high sulfur coal is going to a electric power plant
4. The power plant is supplying the power to the dragline.

Pretty simple
1. An electric powered dragline tethered to a powerline
2. The dragline is strip mining high sulfur coal
3. The high sulfur coal is going to a electric power plant
4. The power plant is supplying the power to the dragline.

Still wouldn't call it irony, but I see the connection now.

No irony. No one doubts that big equipment can be powered by electric motors. What's at discussion is how practical batteries are to supply those electric motors.
Capability isn't in question, it is portability that is the problem, electric drives have been around a long time.

Electric equipment isn’t a new idea. Here is a shovel from the 1960s that had 15,000 peak HP. It runs on electricity but is tethered to the grid.
To have this kind of power, it pretty much has to be electric. But, up stream to this machine is a grid that is disposing of more potential power than this machine needs. So, when this machine is under “max” load, the upstream grid just adds the power to the feed. Look this up in your favorite search engine. View attachment 1110373
PBS coal had a big walking drag line up around sumerset,PA. I watched it work its last shift when obummer killed off coal. They claimed to could power a decent sized city with the power it consumed in a 24 hour period. It ran 24/7.

still would rather have lithium sitting around over Sodium though...
i am willing to bet you have a salt shaker or two somewhere around your house. How much lithium do you consume perday. And yes Lithium is used to treat bipolar disorders so It is possible you might have a pill bottle full in your medicine cabinet
I have no idea if a sodium ion battery is a thing, but if you're scared of lithium... you should see what sodium can do mixed with water
I will be sure to observe the effects of sodium mixed with water the next time I visit the beach.
Do you even know what an ion is?

i·on
[ˈīən, ˈīˌän]

NOUN
  1. an atom or molecule with a net electric charge due to the loss or gain of one or more electrons. See also cation, anion.
    "hydrogen ions" · "a sulfate ion"

i am willing to bet you have a salt shaker or two somewhere around your house. How much lithium do you consume perday. And yes Lithium is used to treat bipolar disorders so It is possible you might have a pill bottle full in your medicine cabinet

I will be sure to observe the effects of sodium mixed with water the next time I visit the beach.

i·on
[ˈīən, ˈīˌän]

NOUN
  1. an atom or molecule with a net electric charge due to the loss or gain of one or more electrons. See also cation, anion.
He's talking about the sodium kept in little brown jars filled with oil. It's a science teacher thing the first day of chemistry class. Cut a small bit off and toss it in a bowl of water.

More like, powered by bunker oil burning diesel engines.....

IMO put the kibosh on high sulfur no. 6 fuel in 2020. Anything still running no. 6 fuel had to put NOx and SOx scrubbers on. Just saying…

PBS coal had a big walking drag line up around sumerset,PA. I watched it work its last shift when obummer killed off coal. They claimed to could power a decent sized city with the power it consumed in a 24 hour period. It ran 24/7.

They are impressive, aren’t they? There’s still something to be said for the phrase “if it’s not farmed, it’s mined.” I would have loved to see more of the big electric shovels and draglines preserved. Bucyrus’ 3850-B and Marion’s 5960, which would have been the first and second largest electric rope shovels that didn’t have a catastrophic fire that destroyed the lower works of the machine, didn’t work that far from where I grew up, and were more or less the targets of a John Prine song.

i·on
[ˈīən, ˈīˌän]

NOUN
Sodium Chloride, is inert, more or less, mixed with water you get brine, put on popcorn it gets tasty, doctors and TV commercials like to talk about sodium intake, they mean sodium chloride, or sodium nitrates/nitrides (the nitrates/nitrides are the real baddies for blood pressure BTW)

Sodium, by itself is volatile as frig. and can react just with the moisture in a room, and once it starts to go, it goes fast. twasn't a typo when I said it
"will explode your face"

taken directly from your "article" so?

Those are certainly some hefty claims. Not only would it revolutionize electricity storage and generation, it would provide a use for the world’s nuclear waste. NDB explains the tech in more detail in the video below, but bear in mind, the last minute and a half suggests buying the company’s shares, so take that for what you will.

https://ndb.technology/ << some pretty "impressive" claims
Couple things, first they are not using depleted cobalt, like you claim, they are supposedly using graphite from reactors to make diamonds, which are somehow real skookum at creating energy? (cool, if it works, but... if it did... we'd be using it already)
Besides, c14 emits beta radioctivity... not as bad as Gamma, but still not something I'd wan't anywhere near me

also, since I actual read the ridiculous article, how exactly does carbon, stop radiation? I mean, I'm not a nuclear science hippie... but, like even lead isn't a complete stop to radiation, carbon it goes straight through and these ding dongs are proposing making pacemaker batteries with these Beta ray radioactive time bombs?

Matt Ferrel did a video on NDB on his Undecided channel. Looked like good tech for niche applications, and while it'll last forever, it produces far too little electricity to be useful for a most things - in the realm of micro-watts. You would have to stack up a LOT of them to power an EV, think of it like trying to power a car with calculator or watch batteries. Sure it's doable, not sure on the practical. I wouldn't mind a calculator that never needs it's battery replaced, although solar has mostly made this moot anyway.

Beta radiation can be stopped by very thin shield of aluminum. In an intact battery, radiation will be a non issue. While I'm a proponent of nuclear power, I'd rather not have random uncontrolled radiation sources running around. Some retard will try and cut it open to get at the diamond for his girlfriend and leave the radioactive bits laying around for their toddler to stick in their mouth. Or the grinder they use to cut it open will powder some of the radioactive materials, to then be inhaled by everyone in the area. While clothing will stop most beta radiation, having a radioactive particle lodged in your lungs for years will be very bad news.

IMO put the kibosh on high sulfur no. 6 fuel in 2020. Anything still running no. 6 fuel had to put NOx and SOx scrubbers on. Just saying…

They are impressive, aren’t they? There’s still something to be said for the phrase “if it’s not farmed, it’s mined.” I would have loved to see more of the big electric shovels and draglines preserved. Bucyrus’ 3850-B and Marion’s 5960, which would have been the first and second largest electric rope shovels that didn’t have a catastrophic fire that destroyed the lower works of the machine, didn’t work that far from where I grew up, and were more or less the targets of a John Prine song.
I haven't found much regulations on what fuel they burn once out side of ports and in international waters. The eu and us cracked down pretty hard some years ago with the use of low sulfur fuels when coming into Anchorage/ports. Really they should just drop #4 through 6 heavy fuels, but I suspect it would jump shipping costs up quite a bit.

It was impressive to see that drag work, the bucket was huge, I bet you could drive 3 tractor trailers into it side by side with ample room to spare. Action mining used some pretty big manitowoc diesel powered drags, but the electric walking drag bps used made them look small. I'm pretty sure when amfire bought out action mining they scrapped all the drags and replaced them with dozers. I always thought it was a stupid move on their part. Took the dozer twice as long to remove the over burden as a good drag, I'd be more fuel as well.

Matt Ferrel did a video on NDB on his Undecided channel. Looked like good tech for niche applications, and while it'll last forever, it produces far too little electricity to be useful for a most things - in the realm of micro-watts. You would have to stack up a LOT of them to power an EV, think of it like trying to power a car with calculator or watch batteries. Sure it's doable, not sure on the practical. I wouldn't mind a calculator that never needs it's battery replaced, although solar has mostly made this moot anyway.

Beta radiation can be stopped by very thin shield of aluminum. In an intact battery, radiation will be a non issue. While I'm a proponent of nuclear power, I'd rather not have random uncontrolled radiation sources running around. Some retard will try and cut it open to get at the diamond for his girlfriend and leave the radioactive bits laying around for their toddler to stick in their mouth. Or the grinder they use to cut it open will powder some of the radioactive materials, to then be inhaled by everyone in the area. While clothing will stop most beta radiation, having a radioactive particle lodged in your lungs for years will be very bad news.

I think of that like the nuclear powered cars we were promised back in the day. Good idea, great on paper. Not so good in practice. Can't give the average Joe a little bomb and expect them to look after it properly.

Back