It's gonna be ugly around here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't slide off the road and get stuck. We got hit last Wednesday evening with 8-10 inches of very very wet snow. The state didn't treat the roads beforehand or during, they did ride around with the blades up though while it was pouring down, sorry bas-tards. Come rush hour it was a nitemare. Traffic was backed up as far as you could see. Took me 1 hour and 40 minutes to go 11 miles. By 6pm the roads were packed to ice and in our little county 415 cars were left by the drivers. The tow companines ate it up, around town they were towing cars at $200.00 a car. In DC they were charging $250.00 car. Some tow companies around DC were charging $310.00 a car. They made a killing that night for sure. How the SOB's can sleep is beyond me..

Classic supply and demand. Obviously the people who are stuck think it's worth $310 rather than to remain stuck. With there being a limited supply of tow trucks the price will rise.

only a cold Kentucky rain here

I think we may miss the ice storm this time.

handy tip: If you think running water may be out, draw up some now to flush
toilets, had to catch water from gutter drains after 2009 ice storm.

Looks like some Aussie members may have it even worse, now they have
a Category 4 Katrina type cyclone bearing down on NE Queensland.
estimated 175 MPH winds

Ditto on the retired part...also on the Corvette part, mine's an '85 though. Can't drive it now, however.

ditto on the retired part-also on vette part, mine's a 64 -tx is 18 degrees right now, high winds and going on 2 inches of ice- still have power though-surprising.
Thought the south was supposed to be warm, got tired of plowing snow, thats why i left Pa.-darn

It's still icing here.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TNi5QHaz5Z4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TNi5QHaz5Z4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Is that planned to go to funniest home videos ? Be worth a T-shirt in any case. We got 2" out of the 3 - 6 they forcasted. Tonight will be another guessing game. They're calling for 13" to 20", my guess says 8". we'll see tomorrow. Right now the OWB is full till bed time and a warm dinner is about to be made. The tractor is filled, snowblower primed, shovels ready by the doors and it's now cocktail time. Retirement has it's benefits.

Windy as all get out, snow, cold as heck. Fireplace burning, warm and toasty, mom and boys watching the tube, me on A.S. Kinda pity the neighbors without wood heat comforts. It does feel good, the return on your time, energy, and investments in saws. Keep warm and enjoy your efforts. From the great Lake Milford, KS.
REJ2

I got 1 inch of ice/sleet/rain last night and getting more tonight then 3 inch of snow in Indy!!!! My cutting area got about 8 inches so far!! There goes my plan for the weekend

We got about 4 inches of snow in the first round early this morning, and the next round is due to move into the area late tonight or soon after midnight. The wind is already picking up. The forecasters are predicting an additional 12-18" of snow, which really isn't that unusual for us, however it could be very heavy wet snow and if that is the case could create serious problems, as we've already gotten a lot of snow this year (well over 100" so far) and a lot of roofs are already at the breaking point.

That's because of all the vertical real estate in the Ozarks.:laugh:

We got blizard conditions here in River City. I can't see the public grade school accross the street from our front window. I ain't goin' outside, no way.

Yep, not much flat ground here in the Ozarks :)

Our drive is 3/4 mile long and uphill. 4wd is a necessity!

Bet my 1984 RWD Maxima could make it. Just drove it through a 2-2.5 foot drift in my drive. Didn't need a running start either! :) My dad almost got the Taurus stuck. :laugh:

Back