John Deere 450V/Echo CS-4500

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banshee365

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm an admitted Echo fanboy. I live on a farm and run saws quite a bit. My current go to's are my CS-355T (little monster) and CS-620p (bigger monster.) Those cover most anything I need to do. Alway's looking for a good deal on a CS-8000 or something though.

There is a JD 450V for sale locally. They're asking $100 and I'm sure would take less. I wanted to reach out and see what the word is on essentially the CS-800P's little brother. They look nearly identical in photos when you can't see the size difference. There is only one photo of the saw in question and it's from the starter side. I can tell by a few really small differences that tell me it's a 450 not 800.

It seems to be a typical 'built like a tank' older Echo saw. Magnesium case, rim sprocket under outer clutch, and even a manual override oiler. Seems like a neat little saw. These generation Deere saw's also seem to be somewhat collectible to some. I would plan to use it but I'm fairly easy on my stuff and my equipment stays in good shape even with regular use.

This saw isn't required by any means with my two go-to saws that I pick up these day's but this whole board is more about the enthusiast side than strictly practicality. I think complimenting this one with an 800V if I can come across one one day would be pretty neat.

I know I will take the usual amount of flak, but if it's in good shape and you plan to use it or just keep it for yourself and the price is fair, buy it. But if you plan to buy it hoping to sell it to somebody at a profit down the road, pass it on.
The present mania of overpaying for old saws regardless of effective value won't last forever and you don't want to be stuck with several saws to shift when the music will stop.

Speaking of the saw itself: the CS4000, 4500 and 8000 all belong to the same family of saws, so much the workshop manual is one and the same for all three models.

I have a 452 VL echo.This saw is built like a tank. It sat for about 20 years but put a carburator kit and a gas and oil line and this saw is ready to make chips.Anyway these are well built saws.

Back