John Deere 60 Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

japfpe

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought home my father's John Deere 60 (20 in bar ) chainsaw which he purchased new in 1980 +/-. I remember back when we originally bought the saw and it always seemed to have carb problems. My father is now deceased so there is some sentiomental value in the saw. It has not been run in probably 12 years so I'm wondering what the chances are it can be repaired to usable condition without expending significant $$.. Any ideas as to where I should take the saw ? John Deere dealer or the town chain saw expert ?? Can I get parts ??

Thanks,
Joe

I have one of the same saws. The only problem I've ever had with it is a deteriorated fuel line which my local John Deere dealer had in stock. The saw is actually made by Echo who has a good reputation for quality. John Deere prides itself in parts availability so that shouldn't be a problem.

If the saw was stored for 12 years with fuel, than the carb is very likely plugged up.

I'd take it to a known good saw shop and they should be able to get it tuned up for an affordable price as long as it's been taken care of thru the years. I'd avoid taking it to the John Deere dealer. A saw shop knows chainsaws better than most John Deere dealers.

I know what you mean about sentimental value. My 60V was my first chain saw and is in mint condition. I just can't stand the thought of selling it even though I prefer to use my Stihl 066 which is lighter, more powerful, and has the chain brake feature.

Good luck!

Deere and Stihl merged?!? Stihl tractors and lawnmowers? What about Oleo mac? They currently build Deere saws. Regarding the saw if you plan on using it spring for a new carb and fuel lines and have the tank cleaned and get a new filter. If you are not going to use it very much than maybe you can get the carb cleaned out cheaper. Good luck

Yep thats the word Deere & stihl . Got the letter last week, Stihl says us dealers will be getting more info soon.Personaly I dont like the idea.But what the heck. Stihl has changed so much in last few years, They have been hurting them selfs. I guess steer chain saws will sound good.I dont think its a complete merger, but
has anyone else heard anything ?

60 v

have a 1980 john deere 60 v chainsaw and need to find parts that deere no longer has . any ideas as to where i can get then??

have a 1980 john deere 60 v chainsaw and need to find parts that deere no longer has . any ideas as to where i can get then??

The 60V is actually a Echo CS-602VL.

Good luck in your search, what exactly are you looking for?

Some of the Echo parts are still to be had from the dealers, some though are no longer to be had.

parts neede

The 60V is actually a Echo CS-602VL.

Good luck in your search, what exactly are you looking for?

Some of the Echo parts are still to be had from the dealers, some though are no longer to be had.

i need the rear handel , air filter and gas cap. the handel is most important

thanks.

i was told by my JD dealer (also a stihl dealer) that JD was stopping the making of saws but said nothing to me about a merge. when i was there looking at saws he said what the have is what all they can get, no more ordering of JD saws. but this is just my 2 cents

new john deere chain saw models

how do you find out who makes the new model of chainsaw for john deere?

can not find the parts for my 60 v. do think knowing what they cross referrece to is good to know. am thinking of maybe a echo 530. any opinion on that? heard anything on the JD cs81's ?

Latest posts

Back