John Deere CS36LE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gravely_todd

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was at the local JD dealer, who also sells Stihl....and noticed a couple JD saws "on sale". One of them was the CS36LE which I though was a really nice little saw and would like something like that for limbing. The dealer had it marked down from $250 to $225. Is that a good deal for that saw ? Is the saw any good quality-wise ? The saw did have some sort of metal tip on it that covered the chain, which I don't understand and it would be coming off I think......

Todd

JD saws are made by Efco in Italy and are pretty good saws. It is head and shoulders above Homelite, McCulloch, Poulan, etc.

That saw is about the same quality as the smaller non pro Stihls and Huskys

I've had great luck with the CS56 and CS62 but bad luck with a CS36LE. The CS36 had a bad carb out of the box. YMMV.

The one I have is the most underpowered piece of garbage that I have ever seen call itself a chainsaw.
Until I ported and muff modded it, it wouldn't have pulled a greasy string out of a kittens rear end.
It still wouldn't make a pimple on a Wildthings butt, but it will cut wood if you aren't in a hurry.

Run!
Don't walk, as far away from that thing as you can possibly get, as quickly as you can go.

If you just HAVE to have one, I'll sell you one already ported and muff modded for half of what they are asking for that one and no tax, just to get it out of my sight!!!!!

Mike

It's the littlest brother in the line up if I am not mistaken. I have the 40LE and the 62.

I have had no problems with either and they both seem to hold up quite well. The LE's are "low emission" saws, which to me spells out that they have been assembled in such a manner as to lack horsepower for the purpose of pleasing Al Gore and his EPA.

I haven't played with the muffler at all, however tuning it yourself can certainly improve upon the factory robot settings. I imagine with a muffler job, it would rip pretty well, and My 40 cuts circles around a wild thing

Well, I guess with the lack of positive feedback, I will just leave it on the dealer shelf and continue to use my old Remington to limb with.... :)

Todd

Back